Cale McDowell represents public and private companies, executives, investors, and investment funds in a broad array of engagements, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, entity structuring and formation, offerings of debt and equity securities, and general corporate governance and transactional matters. Mr. McDowell's clients include real estate investment funds, private equity funds, hedge funds and family offices, as well as large publicly traded companies, privately held companies and startup ventures in the technology, health care, energy, real estate, consumer products, food and beverage, retail, security, media, and financial services industries, among others.
Mr. McDowell routinely serves clients of the firm in an outside general counsel capacity, advising on general legal matters, coordinating the work of other professionals, and counseling senior management on business strategy.
Mr. McDowell is involved in both domestic and international transactions, including the representation of U.S. clients in significant cross-border transactions in the British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cyprus, Germany, India, Iraq, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, South Africa, Singapore, South Korea, and Switzerland.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Mr. McDowell served as Deputy to the Dean of Undergraduate Studies at The University of Texas at Austin, where he was one of the founders of the School of Undergraduate Studies.
More about Cale McDowell: Experience | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- Lead corporate counsel representing Select Milk Producers, Inc. in a joint venture with the Coca–Cola Company to operate a health and wellness company known as Fair Oaks Farm Brands
- Lead corporate counsel representing a group of U.S. investors in the acquisition of a private Iraq–based operational security company formed in the British Virgin Islands
- Representation of a private global intelligence firm in certain cybersecurity, crisis management and related transactional matters
- Lead corporate counsel representing a global commodity trading and processing company based in Switzerland and a Mexican bank in a private equity investment in a U.S.–based financial services company
- Lead corporate counsel in the representation of a large real estate investment fund in numerous joint ventures and portfolio investments in student housing, self–storage and other properties
- Lead corporate counsel representing a major hospital system in the acquisition and reorganization of numerous specialty physician practices
- Lead corporate counsel representing an oil and gas exploration and production company in a joint venture with a major U.S. private equity firm
- Representation of a group of private investors in the $100 million sale of a data center and colocation service provider to a New York-based private equity fund
- Lead corporate counsel representing a major broadcasting company in the formation of an entity to develop and produce a documentary television series
- Lead corporate counsel in the reorganization (tax free spinoff) of a major U.S. vodka distillery
- Representation of a vodka distillery in the acquisition of a competing distillery and related intellectual property and regulatory matters
- Representation of a security technology company in the sale of its patent portfolio to a major cable provider
- Representation of a publicly traded software company in the acquisition of a competing software company by reverse triangular merger
- Representation of publicly traded health care technology company in the sale of its image-guided radiation therapy division
- Representation of private investors in the $40 million sale of a therapeutic drug testing lab to a publicly traded health care company
- Representation of a bank holding company in the sale of an undercapitalized bank and redemption of preferred stock held by the U.S. Treasury under the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP)
- Representation of institutional investor in seed investment into $100 million high technology private equity fund
- $250 million sale of a publicly traded health care company by cash tender offer
- Restructuring of a $2 billion privately held heavy construction, real estate and oil and gas business
- Establishment of branch offices of an offshore drilling technology consulting company in Norway, South Korea, Singapore and the Netherlands
- Formation of an apparel manufacturing company specializing in collegiate products, and negotiation of trademark licensing agreements with numerous major colleges and universities
More about Cale McDowell: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. McDowell is actively involved in the following organizations:
- Board of Directors, University Federal Credit Union
- Chairman, Supervisory Committee, University Federal Credit Union
- Founding Member, Texas Coalition for Excellence in Higher Education
- Chancellor's Council, University of Texas System
- Advisory Council, School of Undergraduate Studies, University of Texas at Austin
- Advisory Council, University Libraries, University of Texas at Austin
- Advisory Council, Thomas Jefferson Center for the Study of Core Texts and Ideas, University of Texas at Austin
- Board of Advisors, Charles T. McDowell Center for Critical Languages and Area Studies, University of Texas at Arlington
More about Cale McDowell: Biography | Experience | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. McDowell was named a 'Super Lawyers—Rising Star' by Thomson Reuters in 2014 and 2015.
More about Cale McDowell: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News