Chuck Campbell represents public and private sector clients in all areas of employee benefits and executive compensation. He regularly assists clients in the design, drafting, and compliance aspects of retirement plans (including 401(k), 403(b), and traditional pension plans), health and disability plans, deferred compensation plans (including handling aspects of 409A and 457 compliance), stock option and other equity compensation plans, severance arrangements, and executive employment agreements. In addition, a significant part of his practice involves representing public pension plans and their trustees. Mr. Campbell has unique experience addressing the varied issues that these organizations face, including issues surrounding plan administration, tax-qualified plan compliance, fiduciary responsibility, and plan investments.
Mr. Campbell also has extensive experience in handling the employee benefit issues involved in mergers, acquisitions, and other transactions, including the drafting and negotiation of relevant provisions in the transaction documents and the handling of the various transition issues that arise in such transactions. Because his practice focus is on federal income tax and ERISA issues, Mr. Campbell also represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of Labor, including the filing of determination letter requests and submitting retirement plans under the voluntary correction program of the IRS.
More about Chuck Campbell: Experience | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- Restructure entire compensation program for large privately held company, including termination of existing non-qualified plans in compliance with Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code, designing and drafting new long-term incentive compensation plans for executives and all employees, review existing annual bonus incentive plan, and negotiate and draft employment agreements for key executives.
- Perform detailed analysis relating to various documentation and operational issues arising under large employer's 401(k) plan, including advise client with respect to corrective action under the IRS' Employee Plan Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS), prepare Voluntary Correction Program filing with the IRS, and complete filing under Department of Labor's Delinquent Filer Voluntary Compliance Program.
- Address all employee benefit issues in significant acquisition involving a publicly traded company, including advise client on all executive compensation issues arising due to change in control (severance, stock option vesting, etc.), analysis on potential withdrawal liability in connection with participation in multi-employer plan, and negotiate process for benefit transition in connection with transaction.
- Handle all legal matters for large municipal retirement system, including preparing request for determination letter on qualified status of the plan, drafting legislation and administrative rules with respect to plan design and operational matters, reviewing all benefit claims and qualified domestic relations orders, advising Board of Trustees on fiduciary implications of relevant actions, and reviewing and negotiating investment agreements.
- Counsel large multi-national corporation on health and welfare benefit plan matters, including eligibility issues under health plan, administrative issues relating to health flexible spending account plan and review of various plan communications to participants.
- Draft and implement broad-based stock incentive plan for local publicly-traded corporation, including design of vesting provisions tied to specific individual and organizational performance goals.
- Negotiate employment agreements and other compensation arrangements for chief executive officer, presidents, and other executive officers on behalf of various clients, including publicly traded corporations, large privately-held companies, federal credit unions, large non-profit institutions and private universities.
- Prepare investment policy statement in connection with hiring of new investment consultant by governmental defined contribution plan, including review and negotiation of investment consulting agreement.
More about Chuck Campbell: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Campbell is a member of the National Association of Public Pension Attorneys, the Travis County Bar Association, the Austin Young Lawyers Association, and the Austin Human Resources Management Association.
Mr. Campbell was a board member for Junior Achievement of Central Texas from 2003 to 2011 and sat on the organization's executive committee. He also served on the Board of Trustees for Good Shepherd Episcopal School from 2007-2011 and as President from 2008-2010. Mr. Campbell serves on the Board of Trustees of the Memorial Endowment Fund of Good Shepherd Episcopal Church and coaches soccer, basketball and flag football for the West Austin Youth Association.
More about Chuck Campbell: Biography | Experience | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Campbell was named a 2005 "Rising Star" by Thomson Reuters and received the Bronze Leadership Award from Junior Achievement of Central Texas in 2006. He is also listed in the 2008-2013 editions of The Best Lawyers in America under Employee Benefits Law.
More about Chuck Campbell: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
Mr. Campbell has written and spoken on the following topics:
- Public Pension Plans in Texas: Impressions from the Public Conference
- "401(k) Plan Administrative and Testing Issues," Southwest Benefits Association (March 2012)
- "Non-Traditional Investing with IRAs & 401(k) Plans - The Rules & The Pitfalls," Austin Chapter Texas Society of CPAs Annual Tax Conference (November 2011)
- "Fiduciary Responsibility in Today's Public Pension Climate," Texas Pension Review Board Annual Seminar (June 2011)
- "Case Studies In Fiduciary Responsibility," Texas Association of Public Employee Retirement Systems 22nd Annual Conference (March 2011)
- "Current Legal Issues Facing Your Fund," Texas Local Fire Fighters Retirement Act Educational Conference
- Midland (September 2011)
- McAllen (September 2010)
- Killeen (September 2009)
- Longview (September 2008)
- Lubbock (September 2006)
- Abilene (September 2005)
- "Health Care Reform: What It Means for Employers," Texas Health Care Association Convention (November 2010)
- "ERISA Basics for Employment Lawyers," Austin Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Day-Long CLE (February 2010)
- "The COBRA Premium Subsidy Under the Economic Stimulus Package"
- Jackson Walker Executive Summaries Lunch (March 2009)
- Texas Electric Cooperative Association (April 2009)
- "Times of Change and Your HR Responsibilities," Frost Bank HR Breakfast Seminar (March 2009)
- "Overview of Health Savings Accounts," Austin Human Resources Management Association (June 2008)
- "Companies Can Prosper From a Review of Their Benefit Plans," Austin Business Journal (November 2007)
- "What Your Benefit Plans Need Before 2007"
- San Angelo Employment law Symposium (October 2007)
- Jackson Walker Executive Summaries Lunch (September 2007)
- "State Mandates Facing Pension Funds," TLFFRA Educational Conference, Corpus Christi, Texas (September 2007)
- "Managing Your Company's Retirement Plans," Austin Human Resource Management Association (March 2007)
- "Five Employee Benefits to be Addressed Before 2007," San Antonio Business Journal (October 2006)
- "The Brave New World of Nonqualified Deferred Compensation"
- Lone Star Legal Network, San Antonio, Texas (January 2006)
- Williamson County Human Resources Association, Round Rock, Texas (May 2006)
- Texas Bankers Association (March 2007)
- Austin Bar Association – Labor and Employment Law Section (April 2007)
- National Association of Independent Schools, Newsletter Article
- Independent Bankers Association of Texas, Newsletter Article
- "Best Practices for Avoiding Liability under Your 401(k) Plan," Austin Business Journal (October 2005)
- "Fiduciary Duties Under ERISA," Lorman Seminar, San Antonio, Texas (September 2005)
- "Payment of Administrative Expenses from 401(k) Plan," Lorman Seminar, San Antonio, Texas (April 2005)
- "Best Practices for Pension Plan Fiduciaries," TLFFRA Educational Conference Program, Laredo, Texas (September 2004)
Links to Publications
More about Chuck Campbell: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Recognition | News
B.S., Washington and Lee University (VA)
J.D., with honors
, The University of Texas School of Law