For more than 30 years, Mark Miller has focused on counseling, transactions, and litigation concerning intellectual property (patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets), franchise, license, and antitrust matters.
He has filed and defended dozens of intellectual property and franchise suits, primarily in federal district court, but also in state district court and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board for all types of industries including healthcare, information technology, resort industry, automotive, restaurants, and retail.
Mr. Miller has helped numerous U.S. businesses obtain trademark registrations and protect their trademark rights in foreign countries including Canada, Mexico, European Economic Community, Latin America, Asia, Africa and elsewhere. He has negotiated dozens of agreements concerning development, licensing, assignment, purchase or sale of intellectual property rights in numerous industries, including software, restaurant, oil, and manufacturing.
Since 1980, he has represented franchisors and franchisees in creating franchise systems, Franchise Disclosure Documents, and franchise agreements, obtaining state franchise registrations, buying and selling franchises on behalf of both franchisees and franchisors, and litigating on behalf of both franchisors and franchisees.
Mr. Miller has prosecuted and obtained patents in the United States Patent and Trademark Office since 1978. He is currently intellectual property counsel for a healthcare company with sales of over $600M, an international clothing company with operations in many countries, an international automotive products company, and many other businesses in various lines of commerce.
Mr. Miller was previously a name partner in the intellectual property firm of Miller, Sisson, Chapman & Nash, P.C.
More about Mark H. Miller: Experience | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- Filed the Taco Cabana v. Two Pesos trade dress suit, one restaurant chain against another, affirmed by U.S. Supreme Court.
- Defended against a patent ownership/inventorship/damages suit. In 2014, all of Plaintiffs' claims were dismissed and damages recovered from Plaintiffs.
- Defended against patent infringement suits for: a medical products company, an international automotive products company, an auto parts manufacturer, an oil services company, and more.
- Defended against trademark infringement litigation for: an international runway restoration company, a nationally known resort, an international medical supply and service company, a restaurant, and more.
- Asserted trademark rights in litigation on behalf of: a national telecommunications company, a healthcare products company, a clothing retailer, a national medical equipment provider, a national medical clothing retailer, an international awning manufacturer, a business broadcaster, a national nonprofit organization, a food packager and retailer, a franchisor, an employment testing service, and more.
- Asserted copyright infringement in litigation on behalf of: an advertising agency, a personality test company, a sculptor, and more.
- Defended against copyright infringement suits for: a software retailer, an automotive information service company, and more.
- Represented an international automotive products company in enforcement of its product design and software copyright rights against a competitor.
- Represented a national restaurant equipment manufacturer in asserting patent against a competitor.
- Asserted trade dress rights in litigation on behalf of: a national hamburger restaurant chain, national concession store supplier, and more.
- Represented a hunting accessories manufacturer in a contract dispute with an international manufacturer.
- Represented an international concession and convenience store supplier in a contract action with a manufacturer.
- Represented a fast food franchisor against an area franchisee in termination litigation.
- Represented a group of hair salon franchisees against their franchisor and launched them as an independent group with a new mark.
- Represented a group of novelty shop franchisees against their franchisor, killing the franchisor.
- Represented real estate franchisees against various franchisors.
- Represented numerous copy services franchisees against their franchisor.
- Represented a soft ice cream franchisee against its franchisor.
- Represented a national restaurant chain against a city-wide multi-unit franchisee.
- Represented an area developer against its franchisor.
- Represented a terminated frozen drink franchise against its franchisor.
- Represented a laundry franchisor against its franchisees.
- Represented a Mexican food franchisee against its franchisor.
- Represented an auto retail franchisor against franchisees in termination litigation.
- Prosecuted hundreds of trademark applications in the United States Patent and Trademark Office for all types of industries.
- Represented registrants and applicants in more than 30 Opposition and Cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Assisted dozens of foreign businesses obtain trademark rights in the U.S.
- Represented numerous clients in securing copyright registrations in the United States Copyright Office.
- Mr. Miller has represented parties in numerous general litigation matters.
- Mr. Miller has more than 30 years' experience in doing deals concerning technology, distribution, and sales. These include licenses, sales, franchises, acquisitions and the like in lines of commerce ranging from software, restaurants, patents, trademarks, research and development, distribution, manufacturing and retail.
More about Mark H. Miller: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Miller is a member of the American Bar Association's Forum Committee on Franchising, and Antitrust and Intellectual Property Sections, and the State Bar of Texas' Intellectual Property Litigation and Antitrust Sections.
More about Mark H. Miller: Biography | Experience | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Miller was selected by San Antonio attorneys as one of the "Best Lawyers in San Antonio" in Intellectual Property Law.
More about Mark H. Miller: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
Mr. Miller is a frequent speaker and writer on franchise, trademark, copyright, and patent law issues. Among the articles and papers to Mr. Miller's credit are:
B.A. Chemistry, Austin College (TX)
J.D., St. Mary's University School of Law
- Selected for Phi Delta Phi honorary legal fraternity
- Associate Editor of the St. Mary's Law Journal
- Supreme Court of the State of Texas
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth and Tenth Circuits
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas