Michael P. Pearson has practiced in the areas of oil and gas and energy law since 1978. His clients include numerous Texas-based, national, and international energy companies and financial institutions. Mr. Pearson currently serves as co-chair of Jackson Walker's Energy practice group.
During his more than 35 years in practice, Mr. Pearson has advised clients in a broad range of upstream, midstream, commodity marketing, and financing matters. Mr. Pearson's experience includes:
- Acquisitions and divestitures of energy companies, stock/partnership interests/LLC member interest sales/purchases, assets, and properties
- Producing oil and gas properties
- Gas gathering systems
- FERC jurisdictional and non-jurisdictional pipeline systems
- Processing plants
- Drilling Rigs
- Structured energy finance
- Volumetric production payments
- Dollar denominational production payments
- Net profits interests
- Upstream oil and gas matters
- Privately owned and state leases
- Federal onshore leases
- Federal offshore leases on the Outer Continental Shelf including both shallow-water and deepwater matters
- Farm out, farm in, participation, and exploration agreements
- Joint operating agreements
- Platform use, production handling, and other offshore operational agreements
- Royalty valuation
- Day-to-day operational matters
- Mineral title examinations
- Midstream natural gas matters
- Gas sales/purchases
- Power plant and other industrial fuel supply agreements
- Gas gathering and transportation agreements
- Gas processing agreements
- Pipeline operating agreements
- Operational balancing agreements
View representative examples of Mr. Pearson's experience here.
More about Michael P. Pearson: Experience | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
More about Michael P. Pearson: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- State Bar of Texas (Oil, Gas, and Energy Resources Law and Business Law sections)
- Houston Bar Association (Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Sections on Environment, Energy, and Resources and Business Law)
Mr. Pearson is a Past Chair of the Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section of the State Bar of Texas. He also served previously as Vice Chair of the Exploration and Production Subcommittee of the Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources section of the ABA.
- Advisory Board, Bridges Academy of the Arts, St. Luke's United Methodist Church
- Alumni Board of Directors, The Kinkaid School
- Past Member, Board of Stewards, St. Luke's United Methodist Church
More about Michael P. Pearson: Biography | Experience | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Natural Resources Law; Oil & Gas Law — 2004-2016)
- Listed in "Who's Who in Energy" by Houston Business Journal, 2012-2014
- Named a "Super Lawyer" (2007-2014) by Thomson Reuters
- Listed in "World's Leading Energy & Natural Resource Lawyers," Legal Media Group, 2008, 2010, 2013
- Listed in "500 Best Lawyers in America" by Lawdragon Magazine, 2005
- Listed in "500 Top Deal Makers in America" by Lawdragon Magazine, 2007
- Listed in "Lawdragon Top 3000" by Lawdragon Magazine, 2010
More about Michael P. Pearson: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
- "A Primer on Production Payments," 28th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Course (State Bar of Texas 2010).
- "Uses of Net Profits Interests in Financing Oil and Gas Transactions," 34th Annual Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute (University of Texas 2008).
- "Gas Royalty Calculation 2005 — An Update," Volume 30 of the Section Report of the Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section (State Bar of Texas 2006).
- "OCS Lease Conveyancing Issues — An Update," Volume 26 of the Section Report of the Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section (State Bar of Texas 2002).
- "Selected Issues in Deep Water Gulf of Mexico Operations," 49th Annual Institute on Oil and Gas Law and Taxation, presented by Southwestern Legal Foundation (now the Center for American and International Studies) in 1998.
- "Royalty Calculation Issues in the Post Order 636 Gas Market," 15th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Course (State Bar of Texas 1997).
- "Federal Royalty and OCS Update," 13th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Course (State Bar of Texas 1995).
- "Emerging Federal Royalty Issues," 11th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Course (State Bar of Texas 1993).
- "OCS Lease Conveyancing Issues," 10th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Course (State Bar of Texas 1992).
- "To Share or Not to Share — Royalty Obligations Arising Out of Take-or-Pay or Similar Gas Contract Litigation," co-authored with Richard D. Watt, 42nd Annual Institute on Oil and Gas Law and Taxation, presented by the Southwestern Legal Foundation (now the Center for American and International Studies) in 1991.
- "Perfecting Title to OCS Leases," presentation to Houston Bar Association Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section, 1991.
- "Some Thoughts Concerning Farmout Agreements," 37th Annual Mineral Law Institute (Louisiana State University 1990).
- "The Technological, Economic and Legal Aspects of Methane Production from Coal Seams," 1984 International Energy Law Symposium (co-authored with Bill W. Dunn and L. Todd Gremillion).
- "Dragnet Clauses in Deeds of Trust," presentation to Texas Association of Bank Counsel, 1984.
- "Absolute v. Conditional Protection for Secured Parties: Problems of Lapsed Perfection Under Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code," published in the 1979 edition of the Houston Law Review.
- "Enforceability of Dragnet Clauses in Deeds of Trust," published in the 1978 edition of the Texas Law Review.
Links to Publications
More about Michael P. Pearson: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Recognition | News
B.A. in Plan II, with high honors
, The University of Texas at Austin
- Member of Phi Beta Kappa
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law
- Associate Editor, Texas Law Review
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit