Scott R. McLaughlin began his practice as a labor/employment lawyer, and he still represents companies in all aspects of labor/employment matters. He has also developed significant experience and expertise, however, in breach of fiduciary duty and fraud litigation, with extensive trade secret/noncompete litigation, as well as shareholder litigation experience in the context of closely held companies.
His labor/employment practice involves matters before all relevant administrative agencies and litigation in multiple states. His trade secret practice has also taken him to various state and federal courts outside of Texas. He has developed a reputation for handling complex bet-the-company trade secret, breach of fiduciary duty, noncompete, and shareholder litigation.
Mr. McLaughlin has considerable experience handling large FLSA collective action lawsuits. Mr. McLaughlin handles a great number of employment discrimination and harassment cases involving extremely difficult allegations. Mr. McLaughlin also has a great deal of defamation experience in the employment context, as well as experience with ERISA litigation cases; other employment torts; workers' compensation retaliation cases; and federal wage and hour claims. Mr. McLaughlin also has experience in union elections, unfair labor practice charges, NLRB administrative trials, and labor arbitration. He often conducts supervisory training seminars and employee handbook and personnel policy reviews in addition to other situational prelitigation counseling.
Among the industries in which Mr. McLaughlin has deep experience are the petrochemical industry, the oil and gas services industries, and the homebuilding industry.
Mr. McLaughlin is Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
More about Scott R. McLaughlin: Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. McLaughlin is a member of the American Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section), the Texas Bar Association, and the Houston Bar Association.
Mr. McLaughlin is on the National Board of Directors for Justice For Children.
More about Scott R. McLaughlin: Biography | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. McLaughlin is listed in Best Lawyers in America (2007-2014) under Labor and Employment Law and under Litigation - Labor and Employment (2012-2014). He was named a "Super Lawyer" (2003-2013) by Thomson Reuters. He also received the "Good Heart" Award from Justice For Children.
More about Scott R. McLaughlin: Biography | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
Mr. McLaughlin has authored and presented papers at local and regional continuing legal education seminars, including presentations for the University of Houston, HR Houston and local bar organizations. He is a frequent moderator, speaker and "in house" trainer for human resource professional groups.
Mr. McLaughlin's publications include:
Mr. McLaughlin's speeches include:
- Texas Supreme Court Upholds Enforceability of Covenants Not to Compete (2011)
- New Technology, New Traps: How Advancing Technology Advances Litigation (2010)
- Layoffs, RIFs and the WARN Act: Down-Sizing and Plant Closing Issues You Need To Know (2009)
- Layoffs, RIFs and the WARN Act: Down-Sizing and Plant Closing Issues You Need to Know - PowerPoint (2009)
- How Congress is Rewriting Equal Pay Law (2009)
- Gender-Based Disparate Pay Claims Redo: How Congress is Rewriting Gender Discrimination Laws (2009)
- "How Congress is Rewriting Equal Pay Law," Employment Law 360. (January 2009)
- "Contractual Jury Waivers as Alternative to Arbitration - Texas Lawyer," In House Texas (December 2004)
- "Pattern Jury Charges for Texas and Fifth Circuit Employment Law Cases," Advanced Employment Law seminar (May 15, 2009)
- "Reductions in Force: An Overview of Risks and Solutions," 2009 Gulf Coast Symposium on Human Resource Issues (May 20, 2009)
- "Lay-Offs, RIFs, and the WARN Act," Advanced Employment Law (Mar./Apr. 2009)
- "The Definitive Guide to Litigating and Drafting Noncompete Agreements in the Healthcare Industry," 19th Annual Public Health Law Conference (April 12, 2007)
- "Employment Law Update: FLSA Defendant's Perspective," presented with Rex Burch - Plaintiffs FLSA lawyer, University of Houston CLE (2005)
- "Employment Discrimination Update," Houston Human Resources Management Association Annual Symposium (April 2002)
Links to Publications
More about Scott R. McLaughlin: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | News