ERISA; Employee benefits and executive compensation
Jim Griffin advises clients on legal issues involving employee benefit plans. Mr. Griffin works closely with the ever-changing Internal Revenue Code and ERISA. In that work, he sees his role with clients as bringing simplicity to a complicated field so that the client's employee benefit plan objectives may be satisfied. Mr. Griffin has more than 28 years of experience representing clients in a wide variety of employee benefit plan matters involving 401(k) plans, group benefits and incentive arrangements.
Mr. Griffin's practice includes advising clients on issues arising under the Internal Revenue Code, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), and other laws. He has particular experience in the following areas:
- Advising clients in matters related to executive compensation, stock option plans, and the special tax-driven arrangements that are typically provided to C level employees
- Counseling clients on IRS compliance, investments, vendor contracts, and plan administration with regard to 401(k) and pension plans
- Working with clients that have tax issues with Section 409A involving nonqualified plans.
- For clients that are involved in mergers, acquisitions, and investment transactions, providing assistance with evaluating tax and ERISA risk exposure, including Section 280G rules for change in control payments to executives
- Counseling clients on various group and fringe benefits issues, including advising on the health insurance mandate and penalty tax provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, commonly known as "Obamacare"
- Representing clients in controversy matters, including Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Department of Labor (DOL) audits, investigations, examinations and voluntary compliance proceedings
When disputes lead to litigation, Mr. Griffin works closely with Jackson Walker's trial team to resolve the tax and ERISA issues involved in those cases.
More about James R. Griffin: Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Griffin is a member of the following organizations:
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation: Employee Benefits Committee
- Dallas Bar Association; Secretary and Treasurer, Employee Benefits Committee
- Southwest Benefits Association
- Texas Rangers Season Ticket Advisory Board
- Gulf Coast Area Tax Exempt/Government Entities Council
- Leadership Dallas, Class of 2003, Dallas Regional Chamber
- Leadership Dallas Alumni Board, Dallas Regional Chamber (2005-2010)
- Board of Directors, McKinney Avenue Transit Authority
- Chair, Vice-Chair and Development Committee Chairman, Dallas Wind Symphony
- Member, Southwestern Medical Foundation's Estate Planning Council
More about James R. Griffin: Biography | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Griffin is included in the 2004-2015 editions of The Best Lawyers in America under Employee Benefits Law. He was named a "Super Lawyer" (2003-2014) by Thomson Reuters and was named as one of the "Best Lawyers in Dallas" by D Magazine for 2008-2014.
More about James R. Griffin: Biography | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
Mr. Griffin is an occasional author and frequent speaker on employee benefits topics. He has spoken on tax-related and employee benefits issues, as well as other legal matters, to the following audiences:
- Southwest Benefits Association
- Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Texas Tech Tax Institute
- International Society of Certified Employee Benefit Specialists - Dallas/Fort Worth
- Dallas Certified Public Accountants Society
- Dallas Bar Association
- SMU School of Law – guest lecturer, 1988-2008
Recent papers presented by Mr. Griffin include:
Links to Publications
More about James R. Griffin: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | News