Katherine A. Staton, a partner in the litigation section of Jackson Walker in Dallas, has over 22 years of experience in litigation, serving large and small clients and companies in Texas and nationally. Ms. Staton has a unique legal and financial background, as she is a CPA and represented plaintiffs before joining Jackson Walker. This diverse background gives Ms. Staton an advantage in understanding complex litigation issues and in helping clients with strategic decisions and challenging legal issues.
Ms. Staton has expertise in aviation-related cases. She serves as lead counsel for airlines, fixed-based operators, and insurance companies, managing and trying a variety of cases and disputes not only in Texas, but nationwide. Ms. Staton efficiently oversees litigation, frequently securing summary judgments and resolutions to disputed matters involving negligence, premise liability, worker's compensation, subrogation, products liability, food-borne illness, international treaties, and federal regulatory claims for clients across the country.
Ms. Staton also handles coverage issues and advises clients concerning potential coverage under policies before and after claims or losses.
Ms. Staton also acts as outside general counsel to various individuals and companies, overseeing and conducting work for clients who have legal needs in several legal areas. Ms. Staton advises clients on all types of legal matters and provides strategic counseling for their legal decisions.
Attorney Profile: Katherine Staton — Serious about client service
More about Katherine A. Staton: Experience | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- Counsel for aviation insurer for the aircraft Joseph Stack flew into the IRS building in Austin, Texas, on February 18, 2012 — successfully resolved all claims asserted against the aviation policy related to the incident.
- Coverage counsel for one of the aviation insurers that insured the aircraft that carried passenger Lauren Scruggs, a fashion model and blogger, who got out of and then walked into the running propeller on December 3, 2011. Ms. Scruggs lost her left eye and hand in the incident. The claims were resolved without litigation as to Ms. Staton"s insurer.
- Lee v. American Airlines, Inc.; 355 F.3d, 386 (5th Cir. 2004) affirming dismissal of claim for loss of convenience in Warsaw Convention putative class action.
- Successfully defended international airline in federal district court in litigation arising from accident in Little Rock, Arkansas.
- Successfully defended regional airline in federal multi-district and state court litigation arising from accident in Missouri.
- Successfully defended airline in lawsuits brought by airline pilot claiming airline's failure to advise of health issues discovered in pre-employment examination which resulted in pilot's death.
- Doris Nell Magee v. Southwest Airlines Co., et al. (Cause No. 2010-41217; in the 215th District Court of Harris County, Texas, 2012) Personal Injury - Successfully secured summary judgment in favor of Southwest Airlines.
- Marjorie Masterson v. City of Austin Aviation Department and the City of Austin, Texas (Cause No. D-1-GN-11-000989 in the 261st Judicial District Court of Travis County, Texas, 2012) Personal Injury - Successfully secured summary judgment in favor of Southwest Airlines.
- Daniell vs. Federation of State Medical Boards of the United States, Inc. and American Airlines, Inc. (Cause No.3-09-CV-0652-BD, Northern District of Texas United States District Court, Dallas Division, 2010) Contribution negligence claim dismissal.
- Collins v. Dooley and Southwest Airlines Co. (Bexar County, Texas 2009) Contribution claim involving worker's compensation / negligence claims dismissal.
- Diaz v. Southwest Airlines Co., 2006 WL 2051379 (Tex. App. – Amarillo 2006) Air Carrier Access Act / negligence claims dismissal.
- Rachal v. American Eagle Airlines, 2005 WL 675566 (Tex. App. – Fort Worth 2005) Negligence and premise liability claims dismissal.
- Blanca Elizabeth Alvarez de Catota, et al. v. Bell Helicopter Textron, Inc., et al.; in the 153rd Judicial District of Tarrant County, Texas, Cause No.153-195665-2 (2005). Product liability claim dismissal.
- Scroggs v. American Airlines, Inc., 150 S.W.3d 256 (Tex. App. – Dallas 2004) Negligent activity claim dismissal.
More about Katherine A. Staton: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- Aviation Section of the Texas State Bar, past Chair
- International Aviation Womens Association (IAWA), past President
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Texas Women Lawyers, past President
- American Bar Association
- 99s International Organization of Women Pilots, Dallas Chapter past Chair
- Women in Aviation International, Dallas Chapter past President
Ms. Staton is the immediate past President of the International Aviation Womens Association, a worldwide organization that promotes women in the aviation industry. Ms. Staton is a past President of Texas Women Lawyers, a past Chair of the Texas Aviation Section, and the past Chair of the Dallas Chapter of the 99s International Organization. She served on the Board of Directors and was treasurer of the WHO Foundation (Women Helping Others) headquartered in Dallas for 13 years. Ms. Staton was also Program Co-Chair for the IAWA 2008 and 2009 Conferences. She also served as the 2005 and 2006 Chair for the Greater Dallas Chamber of Commerce Women's Business Conference. She has previously served as the Conference's 2004 Underwriting Chair.
More about Katherine A. Staton: Biography | Experience | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Ms. Staton is included in the Aviation chapter of Who's Who Legal: Texas for 2007 and 2008.
More about Katherine A. Staton: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
- "DOT Regulations as to Passenger Delays and Rights and their Ramifications," Embry-Riddle Aviation Law and Insurance Symposium (2011)
- "Opening Statement Strategy and Considerations," Embry-Riddle Aviation Law and Insurance Symposium (2010)
- "Recent Developments in Aviation Law," Embry-Riddle Aviation Law/Insurance Symposium (2009)
- "Challenges in the Aviation/Transportation Industry for Women: The Last 20 Years," WTS – Advancing Women in Transportation (2008)
- "Germs on a Plane: U.S. Litigation Considerations for Airline Food Borne Illness Claims," International Air Transport Association (IATA) Food Safety Forum (2008)
- "Nonrefundable Airline Ticket Class Action: How Preemption Under the Airline Deregulation Act Precluded Claims," International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Newsletter (2007)
- "What Happens After The Sun Sets: NTSB Investigations and Recommendations for Action and the FAA's Response," Embry-Riddle Aviation Law/Insurance Symposium (2006)
- "FAA Oversight of Aircraft Maintenance Outsourcing to Certified and Non-Certified FAA Repair Stations," International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Newsletter (2006)
- "The Sport Pilot and Light-Sport Aircraft Certifications Take Flight," Journal of Air Law & Commerce Symposium (2005)
- "The New Sport Pilot and Light-Sport Aircraft Regulation," International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Newsletter (2004)
- "Professionalism and Civility in the Practice of Aviation Law – The VORs and GPSs Which Guide Our Practice," 64 Journal of Air Law & Commerce 811 (1999)
- "The Americans With Disabilities Act as it Relates to Employment in the Aviation Industry: Navigating Through Uncontrolled Airspace," 64 Journal of Air Law & Commerce 459 (1999)
- "The Warsaw Convention's Facelift: Will It Meet the Needs of 21st Century Air Travel?," 62, Issue 4, at 1083, Journal of Air Law & Commerce (1997)
- "Frequent Flyer Coupon Brokering: A Valid Trade?," Volume 55, Issue 3 at, 727, Journal of Air Law & Commerce, (1990)
Links to Publications
More about Katherine A. Staton: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Recognition | News
B.B.A. Accounting, cum laude
, St. Mary's University of San Antonio
J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law
- Staff member and citations editor, Journal of Air Law & Commerce
Ms. Staton is a Certified Public Accountant and a private pilot.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas