Chris Thompson is a litigator specializing in all types of insurance disputes from coverage matters to bad faith cases to class actions. During his 17–year career at Jackson Walker, Mr. Thompson has been retained by both insurance carriers and policyholders to advocate for them in disputes concerning a variety of coverage lines including commercial general and excess liability, director and officer liability, residential and commercial property, business interruption, professional malpractice, aviation, marine, and numerous other specialty lines (e.g. lender liability, credit/life/disability, "GAP," motor cargo, elder care benefits, and many more).
Mr. Thompson's accomplishments in this area include:
- Summary judgment for aviation insurer involving total loss to an aircraft
- Successfully resolved putative nationwide class action litigation for insurer involving homeowner's insurance policies without certification of class
- Summary judgment for insurer on bad faith and coverage claim brought by former employee of insured while maintaining counterclaims for investigation and defense costs
- Dismissal of claims against insurer in major industry-wide litigation relating to worker's compensation risk pool
- Avoided litigation with dozens of credit/life/disability policyholders for insurer while maintaining no-coverage positions on claims
- Counseled client on coverage issues involving contingent business interruption insurance claims involving natural disasters outside coverage territory
- Secured insurance coverage for dozens of policyholders despite presence of facts that could trigger exclusions or no coverage position by insurers
Mr. Thompson has also counseled clients concerning acquisition and evaluation of appropriate insurance coverage, preparing and responding to reservations of rights letters, and potential insurance coverage available to litigation adversaries when evaluating potential settlements.
In addition to his insurance practice, Mr. Thompson has also represented both businesses and individuals in connection with complex litigation involving:
- Class action litigation
- Toxic tort and personal injury claims
- Premises liability
- Contract disputes
- Fiduciary liability for officers, directors, partners, attorneys, and other professionals
- Fraudulent transfer actions
- Federal and state securities actions
- And many more commercial disputes
Prior to embarking on his legal career, Mr. Thompson gained extensive experience for Prudential Property & Casualty Insurance Company as a multi-lines claims adjustor.
More about Christopher A. Thompson: Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Thompson is a member of the Tort and Insurance Section of the Dallas Bar Association and the State Bar of Texas. He is also a Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation and the Dallas Bar Foundation. In law school, he was a member of the Order of the Coif and was elected as the Chief Baron of the Order of Barons.
Mr. Thompson has actively served as a leader in several community and charitable organizations. He is a member of the Board of Directors of Healing Hands Ministries, a low cost health care clinic serving East Dallas. He has also served as Chair of the Board of Directors and Programs Chair for the Dallas Arts District Alliance, Chair of the Steering Committee for the 2003–2004 Leadership Arts class fundraising project, which raised substantial funds for the Friends of Fair Park, Membership Chair for the Steering Committee of the Leadership Arts Alumni Association, and Volunteers Co-chair for the Helping Hands organization, which benefits the Family Place, a shelter for women and children. Mr. Thompson is also an alumnus of the 2006–07 Leadership Dallas and the 2003–2004 Leadership Arts classes.
More about Christopher A. Thompson: Biography | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Thompson was named a "Rising Star" by Thomson Reuters (2006-2009).
More about Christopher A. Thompson: Biography | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
Mr. Thompson has authored or co-authored several publications, including:
- "Business Bankruptcy for the (Blessedly) Uninitiated" which was presented at the 25th Annual Corporate Counsel Institute in both Houston, Texas, on March 27 & 28, 2003, and Dallas, Texas, on April 10 & 11, 2003
- "What is an Occurrence?," presented in 1998 at the University of Houston Law Foundation's seminar, titled "Insurance Law for Agents, Adjustors and Attorneys Who Represent Insurers"
- "Insuring a Brighter Future: The Emerging System of Russian Insurance Law," published in the Houston Journal of International Law, (19 H.J.I.L. 863, Spring 1997)
Mr. Thompson has authored the following e-Alert:
Links to Publications
More about Christopher A. Thompson: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | News