Chris Thompson is a litigator specializing in all types of insurance disputes from coverage matters to bad faith cases to class actions. During his 18-year career at Jackson Walker, Mr. Thompson has been retained by clients to handle disputes involving coverage lines commonly purchased by companies and individuals, including commercial general and excess liability, director and officer liability, residential and commercial property, business interruption, professional malpractice, aviation, marine, and numerous other specialty lines (e.g. lender liability, credit/life/disability, "GAP," motor cargo, elder care benefits, and many more).
Mr. Thompson has also counseled clients concerning the acquisition, evaluation, and availability of appropriate insurance coverage, preparing and responding to reservations of rights letters and "Stowers" demands, and the amounts and types of insurance coverage available to litigation adversaries when evaluating potential settlements.
Mr. Thompson has also represented clients in connection with other complex litigation matters involving:
- Personal injury claims
- Premises liability
- Contract disputes
- Fiduciary liability for officers, directors, partners, attorneys, and other professionals
- Fraudulent transfer actions
- Federal and state securities actions
- And many more commercial disputes
Prior to embarking on his legal career, Mr. Thompson gained extensive, hands-on insurance claims experience for Prudential Property & Casualty Insurance Company as a multi-lines claims adjustor
More about Christopher A. Thompson: Experience | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Wooten v. Safeco Insurance Company, 15 AC-CC225 (Cir. Ct. Missouri 2015)- Dismissal of putative class action involving labor depreciation.
Colonial County Mut. Ins. Co. v. Marston, et al., Cause No. 219-01145-2013 (219th District Court, Collin County, Texas 2014)- Summary judgement on behalf of client on application of "other insurance" clause.
Lowe v. Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, (W.D. Ark. 2014)- Dismissal of putative class action involving labor depreciation.
Raffaelli v. Safeco Insurance Company, (W.D. Ark. 2014)- Dismissal of putative class action involving labor depreciation.
AIG v. ACE INA Holdings, (N.D. Ill. 2011)- Dismissal of claims against insurer in major industry-wide litigation relating to national worker's compensation risk pool.
Chubb Lloyds Ins. Co v. Miller County, 2010 Ark. 119 (Ark. 2010)- Case of first impression under Arkansas Constitution regarding standing in class action.
J&D Aircraft Sales v. Continental Ins. Co., (N.D Tex. 2004)- Summary judgment for aviation insurer involving total loss to an aircraft.
Responded to dozens of demand letters for credit/life/disability insurer and avoided litigation maintaining no-coverage positions on claims.
Counseled client on coverage issues involving contingent business interruption insurance claims involving natural disasters outside coverage territory.
More about Christopher A. Thompson: Biography | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
- Court Admissions: Texas, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, United States District Courts for Texas (all Districts)
- State Bar of Texas and Dallas Bar Association (Tort and Insurance Sections); Texas Bar Foundation (Life Fellow); Dallas Bar Foundation (Life Fellow)
Mr. Thompson has actively served as a leader in several community and charitable organizations. He is a member and officer of the Board of Directors of Healing Hands Ministries, a low cost health care clinic serving East Dallas. He has also served as Chair of the Board of Directors and Programs Chair for the Dallas Arts District Alliance, Chair of the Steering Committee for the 2003-2004 Leadership Arts class fundraising project, which raised over $40,000 for the Friends of Fair Park, Membership Chair for the Steering Committee of the Leadership Arts Alumni Association, and Volunteers Co-chair for the Helping Hands organization, which benefits the Family Place, a shelter for women and children. Mr. Thompson is also an alumnus of the 2006-07 Leadership Dallas and the 2003-2004 Leadership Arts classes.
More about Christopher A. Thompson: Biography | Experience | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
Mr. Thompson has authored or co-authored several publications, including:
- "Business Bankruptcy for the (Blessedly) Uninitiated" which was presented at the 25th Annual Corporate Counsel Institute in both Houston, Texas, on March 27 & 28, 2003, and Dallas, Texas, on April 10 & 11, 2003
- "What is an Occurrence?," presented in 1998 at the University of Houston Law Foundation's seminar, titled "Insurance Law for Agents, Adjustors and Attorneys Who Represent Insurers"
- "Insuring a Brighter Future: The Emerging System of Russian Insurance Law," published in the Houston Journal of International Law, (19 H.J.I.L. 863, Spring 1997)
Mr. Thompson has authored the following e-Alert:
Links to Publications
More about Christopher A. Thompson: Biography | Experience | Involvement | News