Stephanie L. Chandler's practice emphasizes securities transactions, reporting and compliance; mergers and acquisitions; technology licensing and commercialization, and general corporate work. She assists clients with the formation of organizations, public and private offering of securities, governance issues and shareholder proxy contests, as well as Securities Act and Exchange Act compliance matters. Her clients include startup companies commercializing innovations in information technology and biotechnology, private investors and private equity and venture capital firms, and large privately held and publicly traded companies. Industries she serves include software, cloud & cybersecurity, health care and life sciences, oil and gas, energy trading, transportation and logistics, educational institutions and construction.
Ms. Chandler's track record of working with clients from the earliest stages of their development through significant liquidity events, typically in the role of outside general counsel managing the legal issues related to each growth stage, allows her to bring a uniquely broad-based perspective to the matters she handles.
Ms. Chandler also serves as the head of Jackson Walker's Technology section. She regularly represents companies in relation to emerging technology, data management and privacy issues, including ventures involved in or acquiring software and other technology development, outsourcing solutions, e-commerce and Web 2.0 strategies, cloud/software as a service (ASPs), and electronic data transfer.
More about Stephanie L. Chandler: Experience | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- Led the team advising the publicly traded seller of a refinery and related terminal, pipeline and feedstock assets for $115 million, including negotiation of the asset purchase agreement and complex transition and employees service agreements.
- Representation of a large publicly traded master limited partnership in the sale of its joint venture interest in an interstate pipeline company valued at more than $36 million.
- Representation of purchaser of all of the equity interests in a company that owns crude oil, diesel, naphtha, and vacuum gas oil storage facilities, in a transaction valued at approximately $45 million.
- Acquisition of electronic file transfer software company by a publicly traded technology company to strategically broaden product portfolio.
- Restructure of technology-related assets in connection with $120M syndicated secured credit facility to finance leveraged management buyout of services company.
- Buyer representation in acquisition of oilfield equipment manufacturing and distribution company through leveraged management buyout; assistance to new owners in the international expansion to Canada and Latin America.
- Offering and subsequent registration by NASDAQ listed company of $13.7M in common stock utilizing a Private Investment in Public Equity (PIPE) structure.
- Tax free spin-out of public subsidiary in the technology space from publicly traded parent in the telecommunications space.
- Contested proxy solicitation related to amendments to publicly traded company's formation documents to modify shareholders rights and permit stock split through authorization of additional shares.
- Private placement of multiple series of preferred stock by energy storage application company, including negotiation of financing by state-sponsored early stage investment fund.
- Investor representation in frac water treatment venture through multiple rounds.
- Private placements of common stock and private placement of convertible debentures by medical device company.
- Guided multiple management teams of closely held private companies in relation to matters related to discontented shareholders including buyout of adverse shareholder positions.
- Negotiation of $22M credit facility financing real estate acquired in connection with the acquisition of dealerships by a privately held heavy equipment dealer.
- Team member in a $67M financing of the purchase of natural gas plant and pipeline assets.
- Developing, Negotiating and Analyzing software and services contracts:
- Assisted in the development of a services agreement contract regimes for multiple application service providers in the health care industry and related privacy compliance analysis.
- Assisted in the development of a new software, service and maintenance contract regime for a biometric technology vendor.
- Prepared standardized end user licensing approach for document management software company to assist in the successful targeting of clients in the AmLaw 100.
- Assistance with adoption of open source licensing structures and ancillary fee for service business models.
- Assisted large construction firm with multiple acquisitions with due diligence review of software licenses, electronic document retention policies, issued patents and other technology related documentation in conjunction with acquisition of engineering firm specializing in power plant development and operation and ancillary software companies.
- Acquisition of technology consulting services company by traditional bricks and mortar oil and gas industry parts manufacturer.
- Assistance in the development of policies in relation to security and enforceability for online transactions.
- Assist in the capacity of outside special counsel to energy derivatives trading firm in conjunction with their data acquisition technology solutions, technology law compliance issues and all software licensing issues.
More about Stephanie L. Chandler: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Ms. Chandler is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the American Bar Association, and the San Antonio Young Lawyers Association. She is also a member of the Venture Capital Committee and the Committee on E-Commerce for the Texas Bar Association Business Law Section and is a member of the Private Equity and Venture Capital Committee of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association.
Ms. Chandler is the Chair of the Board of Directors of Family Services Association of San Antonio, where she has also co-chaired the Program Evaluation Committee and was the founding co-chair of the agency's largest fundraising event. She serves as a member of the Board of Directors for United Way's Masters Leadership Program, working to educate non-profit volunteer leadership for the future of the San Antonio community. She is a member of the San Antonio Technology Accelerator Initiative (SATAI) Board of Directors, where she developed the curriculum for the year long SATAI U educational program for entrepreneurs when serving as a co-chair for SATAI's Entrepreneur Alliance Committee and serves on the local selection committee for the State of Texas Emerging Technology Fund. Ms. Chandler also serves as the Secretary of the Advisory Council for University of Texas at San Antonio College of Engineering. She is also a member of the Advisory Board for the San Antonio Clean Technology Forum.
Ms. Chandler is an active member of the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, where her contributions have included serving as a member of the Steering Committee for Leadership San Antonio XXIX and graduating from and serving as Vice President of her Leadership San Antonio XXVIII class.
Additionally, she is actively involved as a member of the National Association of Women Business Owners, serving in general counsel capacity for the organization, as a judge for the Entrepreneurial Spirit Awards and hosting the Million Dollar Roundtable, and is a member of the North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce and Boerne Chamber of Commerce.
More about Stephanie L. Chandler: Biography | Experience | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Ms. Chandler is a repeat selection to the "Rising Star" list (2005-2013) by Thomson Reuters, and she was one of five lawyers in the state featured in the special 2005 "Super Lawyers" supplement included in Texas Monthly magazine. "Rising Stars" are up and coming attorneys who have either practiced for ten years or fewer or are under the age of 40. "Rising Stars" are voted on by "Super Lawyers" who have seen them in action. Only the attorneys who receive the top 2.5% of the vote are named "Rising Stars."
Ms. Chandler was selected by the San Antonio Business Journal as one of "40 Rising Stars Under 40," recognizing her accomplishments in business, community, and career. In 2012, she was named to the "Who's Who in Energy" list and in 2011, she was named an "Outstanding Lawyer — Rising Star" by the publication. She was recognized by Scene in S.A. as one of 13 outstanding young professionals under 30 in the San Antonio Community (2004), as a "Rising Star" in the San Antonio Legal Community (2005-2009), and as a San Antonio "Best Lawyer" (2009, 2012).
In 2010, Ms. Chandler received the Young Professional Award for Community Service from the North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, an award given to a young professional who has demonstrated outstanding service, participation and leadership in his or her community. Ms. Chandler has also been a featured service provider on the SAtechBLOG.com.
More about Stephanie L. Chandler: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News