Ali Abazari is a partner with Jackson Walker L.L.P. where he practices environmental law. Mr. Abazari’s practice is focused primarily on counseling mining, energy, and various manufacturing and industrial clients regarding compliance and enforcement matters under SMCRA, CERCLA, RCRA, OPA, SDWA, TSCA, CWA, and their state counterparts. Over the past 18 years, Mr. Abazari has also participated in the drafting and development of environmental laws and regulations at the state and federal levels. Mr. Abazari has successfully represented clients in contested case hearings in permitting and enforcement matters before various state agencies.
- BP America, Inc. – represent client in matters arising from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill casualty, including removal actions pursuant OPA, and served as counsel to BP at the Unified Area Command Post for the Deepwater Horizon incident
- Coalition of mining entities and power plants - provide ongoing advice and regulatory counseling on various aspects of emerging legislative and regulatory requirements for the management of coal combustion residuals, carbon capture and sequestration, and related matters
- Mining company – defended company in enforcement actions at the Railroad Commission of Texas
- Mining companies – provide ongoing compliance counselling to numerous clients related to mine permits
- Mining company – represent client in a major amendment of its TPDES wastewater discharge permit to authorize new mine areas associated with expansion of mine operations
- Oil and gas service firm- secured underground injection control permit
- Real estate investment company – provided advice and counselling in relation to environmental liabilities at, and remediation of a large industrial complex
- Real estate development company – provided advice and counselling in relation to the remediation and development of an industrial park for mixed commercial/residential purposes
- Major energy companies – provided advice and counselling in the remediation of soils and groundwater at several refineries and chemical manufacturing facilities
- Major energy company – provided advice and developed strategy for transfer of environmental liabilities
- Port authority – represented client in the development of strategy for the acquisition and sale of sites with environmental liabilities
- Major energy company - provided advice on a wide range of regulatory issues involving the interpretation of RCRA requirements for the generation, treatment, storage and/or disposal of hazardous waste
- Several energy companies – conducted analysis of federal and state environmental reviews, wetland jurisdiction, endangered species, cultural resources, and permitting issues for the siting of new projects
- Investor owned utility – defended client in numerous water and sewer rate proceedings before administrative agency.
- Water district – defended client in a complex contested water and sewer rate matter challenging district's use of budget data to support rates, direct/indirect costs, cost allocation methodology, cost pooling, and debt service
- Several investor owned utilities and water districts – provided counselling and defend client on CCN matters.
- Real estate development company – defended client in dispute over provision of utility services by the incumbent utility.
More about Ali Abazari: Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Abazari is a member of the State Bar of Texas (Section on Environmental Law and Natural Resources Law), and the Austin Bar Association (Section on Administrative Law).
More about Ali Abazari: Biography | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Abazari was named a "Rising Star" (2006-2010) by Thomson Reuters.
More about Ali Abazari: Biography | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
Mr. Abazari has authored articles on site remediation, Brownfields redevelopment, environmental enforcement, and other environmental law issues and is a frequent speaker on these topics. Recent presentations and publications include:
- Co-Author, "Carbon Capture and Storage – We're Almost There," Texas Bar Journal (May 2011)
- Author, "Radioactive Materials and Wastes and Radiation-Producing Devices" (Chapter 18), Texas Practice, West Publishing (2008-Present)
- Co-Author, "The Reshaping of CERCLA Liability—Are Landowners Really Better Off?," Seventeenth Annual Environmental Superconference (August 4-5, 2005)
- Co-Author, "Environmental Enforcement (Chapter 4)," Texas Practice, West Publishing (2004-Present)
- Co-Author, "Oil and Hazardous Substance Spill Reporting and Response (Chapter 8)," Texas Practice, West Publishing (2004-Present)
- Co-Author, "Developer and City Perspectives on Municipal Setting Designations," Changing Face of Water Rights in Texas Seminar (February 2005)
- Co-Author, "Environmental Due Diligence and Redevelopment Strategies," Changing Face of Water Rights in Texas Seminar (January 2004)
- Author, "Brownfields Redevelopment—A Municipal Perspective," Texas City Attorneys Association (June 2006)
- Speaker, "The Admissibility of Scientific Expert Witness Testimony in Environmental Litigation," SETAC Conference (November 2003)
- Speaker, "Landowner Liability Defense and Funding under Brownfields Act of 2002," Lloyd Gosselink Seminar (November 2003)
- Speaker, "Understanding Environmental Enforcement in Texas: Practical Tools for Navigating the TCEQ Process" (March 2004; July 2004; and October 2004)
- Speaker, "Brownfields Redevelopment—A Municipal Perspective," Texas City Attorneys Association Seminar (June 2006)
- Speaker, "Defending Against Environmental Enforcement Actions and Negotiating Favorable Settlements, Administrative Law in the Environmental Practice," Austin Bar Association (June 2006)
- Speaker, "Accommodating Resource Protection Laws in Construction," Design Law for Texas Architects and Engineers Conference (March 14, 2008)
- Speaker, "Water Law," Texas Land Law Seminar (May 30, 2008)
- Speaker, "Natural Resources Protection Laws," Land Law for Civil Engineers and Surveyors (September 12, 2008)
- Speaker, "State and Federal Site Contamination Law," Land Law for Civil Engineers and Surveyors (September 12, 2008)
Links to Publications
More about Ali Abazari: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | News
B.A. Economics, The University of Texas at Austin
LL.M. Energy and Environmental Law, Tulane University School of Law
J.D., Oklahoma City University School of Law