Mr. Soza has successful first-chair trial experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in business disputes, oil and gas disputes, personal injury claims, property damage claims, and civil enforcement actions brought by the U.S. Department of Justice, EPA, U.S. Customs Service, and the Bureau of Information and Security. Additionally he has extensive experience in instituting policies and training companies on issues of import and export law, as well as Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA). His complex commercial litigation experience includes everything from breach of contract and warranty claims to tortious interference and fraud claims. He has extensive experience in Texas and New Mexico trial and appellate courts.
Mr. Soza has the experience to manage the challenges of litigation by focusing on those issues that will be pivotal in trial or settlement negotiations. Although based in San Antonio, Mr. Soza has litigated, or is currently litigating, matters in Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, California, New York, and in South Texas courts including Webb, Hidalgo, Cameron, La Salle, El Paso, and Nueces Counties.
Attorney Profile: Robert Soza — Helping clients look ahead
More about Robert L. Soza, Jr.: Experience | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- Jury Trials:
- Helena Chemical Company v. Arturo Uribe, Pamela Uribe, Linda Thomas, Individually and as Representative of Thomas & Wan, L.L.P., and Thomas & Wan, L.L.P.; Case No. CV-2008-3038; State of New Mexico, County of Doña Ana, Third Judicial District. Mr. Soza obtained a favorable jury verdict in a defamation case filed against a community activist.
- Abel Siller and Enriqueta Siller, et al. v. LPP Mortgage, Ltd.; Cause No. 02-04-00020-CVL; In the 218th Judicial District Court, La Salle County, Texas. Mr. Soza obtained a favorable jury verdict in South Texas on behalf of an out-of-town bank against a local family owned business on a dispute arising from a foreclosure of a large farming and ranching operation.
- Charles Trois v. Ozark Motor and Supply, Mike Rosseau, and Encore, Inc.; Cause No. 2002-CI-06930; In the District Court; 37th Judicial District; Bexar County, Texas. Mr. Soza defended the defendants and the jury verdict was less than half of what plaintiffs requested.
- Estate of Juan Roberto Brittingham-McLean v. Maria Cristina Brittingham-Sada de Ayala, et al.; Cause No. 2000PB7000049-L1; In the County Court at Law No. 1, Webb County, Texas. Mr. Soza defended the defendants and the jury verdict was one-third less than what plaintiffs initially demanded.
- Matters Resolved Prior to Trial:
- Landmark Organization, L.P. vs. Ellerbe Becket, Inc. et al. ; Cause No. 500406; In the 98th Judicial District Court, Travis County, Texas. Negotiated a favorable settlement for architectural firm in a multi-million dollar construction defect dispute. Use of focused discovery and the innovative use of the mediation process was key to obtaining a favorable settlement for the client.
- Bremer-Gutierrez v. 3Com Corp.; 89 Fed. Appx. 459, 2004 WL 439871 5th Cir. (Tex.), March 10, 2004. Mr. Soza was lead trial counsel on an international dispute in the Laredo Division of the Southern District of Texas where he obtained summary judgment through the application of Mexican law. He later successfully defended this judgment on appeal to the Fifth Circuit of Appeals after oral argument in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Potter v. Kaufman & Broad Home Systems of Texas, Inc., 2004 WL 892109, Tex.App.- San Antonio, May 12, 2004.
- D.M. Diamond Corp. v. Dunbar Armored, Inc.; 124 S.W.3d 655, Tex.App.- Hous. (14 Dist.), September 23, 2003.
- Alicia Acevedo, et al. v. Union Pacific Railroad Company, et al.; No. C-4885-99-F; In the 332nd Judicial District Court, Hidalgo County, Texas. Represented a chemical company in claims brought by 2,000 plaintiffs alleging personal injuries stemming from exposure to pesticides and pesticide wastes. Mr. Soza obtained a favorable settlement after identifying and deposing key witnesses and using historical aerial photographs linking another company to the release of pesticide wastes.
- Rooster Products, Inc. v. United States; 2000 WL 726937 (CIT 2000).
- Jud Walton v. Arcadis Geraghty & Miller, Inc., et. al; 24 S.W. 3d. 853 (Tex. Civ. App.--El Paso 2000, no pet).
- Geraghty & Miller, Inc. v. Conoco Inc.; 27 F. Supp. 2d 918 (S.D. Tex. 1998). Mr. Soza obtained a summary judgment after opening arguments in a case involving environmental damage to groundwater located under the City of Lake Charles, Louisiana.
- Clear Lake Properties v. Pace, Inc., et. al.; 959 F. Supp. 763 (S.D. Tex. 1997).
- Luevano v. Dow Corning Corporation, et. al.; 895 F. Supp. 135 (W.D. Tex. 1994).
- Professional Engineers in California Government, et. al. v. Department of Transportation, et. al.; 13 Cal.App. 4th 585, 16 Cal. Rptr. 2d 599, (4th Div. 1993).
- Trial Court And Appeal Matters in New Mexico:
- Civil Action No. CV 09-1113 WJ/WDS; Plaintiff, Atlas Resources, Inc., a New Mexico Corporation v. Defendant, Liberty Mutual Insurance Co., a Massachusetts Corporation, and Interested Party, First Community Bank of New Mexico, a New Mexico Corporation; In the United States District Court for the District of New Mexico - Set for jury Trial on 2011.
- Appeal No. 29,567; Helena Chemical Company v. Arturo Uribe, et al., In The Court of Appeals of the State of New Mexico.
- No. D-101-CV-2008-02864; Arturo Uribe, et al. v. Helena Chemical Company, et al.; In the First judicial District Court, County of Santa Fe, New Mexico--Set for Jury Trial on March 2011.
- Cause No. D-0101-CV-2008-03655, Helena Chemical Company v. New Mexico Environment Department; In the State of New Mexico, First Judicial District Court, Santa Fe County.
- Cause No. CIV 06-0092; Helena Chemical Company v. Daniel Jones, In the United States District Court for the District of New Mexico.
- Cause No. CV-2003-675; Helena Chemical Company v. Robert Saint Louis d/b/a Saint Louis Farm; In the 5th Judicial District Court, Chaves County, New Mexico.
- CIV NO. 03-1195 WPJ/ACT; Rosann Williams et al. v. W.D. Sports New Mexico, Inc., et al.; In the United States District Court for the District of New Mexico.
More about Robert L. Soza, Jr.: Biography | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Soza has been named a San Antonio "Best Lawyer" by S.A. Scene since the inception of this honor in 2005. In 2010, Mr. Soza was selected as a "Leading Law Firm Rainmaker" by the Minority Corporate Counsel Association. Mr. Soza was also named a "Super Lawyer" by Thomson Reuters (2013).
Mr. Soza is a graduate of The Honorable Pamela B. Minzer 2008 Leadership Training Institute, State Bar of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
More about Robert L. Soza, Jr.: Biography | Experience | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
Speaker, "U.S. Customs Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights," ALI/ABA Cross-Border Business Transactions: Intellectual Property and Related Issues. Toronto, Ontario, Canada, October 18-19, 2007.Author, "Mexico's Federal Waste Regulations An Overview," EM Magazine, a publication of the Air and Waste Management Association, January 2007. Author, "Mexico's Newest Environmental Law Raises Uncertainty for Property Owners," EM Magazine, a publication of the Air and Waste Management Association, September 2005. Speaker, "What's the Worse That Could Happen: Litigation Look at Partnership Boilerplate", 2005 Partnerships, Limited Partnerships and LLCs, University of Texas School of Law Continuing Legal Education, Austin, Texas, July 21-22, 2005. Author, "Conflict in Laws Presents Snag for Firms Hiring Foreign Nationals," San Antonio Business Journal, Week of May 2-8, 2003. Author, "Hiring of Foreign Nationals; The Conflict Between U.S. Anti-Discrimination Laws and Export Control Laws", J&G Global Village, Volume 3, Issue 1, 2002. Author, "Collection Litigation in Mexico and Mexico's New Bankruptcy Law", Latin American Law and Business Report, Volume 10, Number 7, July 31, 2002; Mexican Forecast, Volume XI, Number 5, May 2002; North American Free Trade & Investment Report, Volume 12, Number 11, June 15, 2002. Speaker, "Collecting Your Money From Mexican Entities", Lorman Education Services, Phoenix, AZ, February 15, 2002.
Links to Publications
More about Robert L. Soza, Jr.: Biography | Experience | Recognition | News
More about Robert L. Soza, Jr.: Biography | Experience | Recognition | Speeches / Publications |
Fluent in English and Spanish
B.A., The University of Texas at Austin
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law
- 1991, Texas
- 1989, California
- 2002, New Mexico
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of International Trade
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the District of New Mexico