Elena Villaseñor Sullivan is a trial and appellate attorney and international trade attorney. In both practice areas, Ms. Sullivan serves as advisor and counselor to clients seeking to prevent legal quandaries and a zealous advocate to clients who find themselves in the midst of litigation. Her organized and pragmatic approach to client service ensures that her clients are well informed and prepared at every stage of the litigation process.
Trial and Appellate
Ms. Sullivan represents companies and individuals in a wide range of civil lawsuits, involving matters such as contractual disputes, professional liability allegations, defamation claims, business torts (fraud, negligent misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference), environmental torts, patent infringement, and international probate disputes. She also has experience in adversary administrative proceedings involving licensing, permitting and enforcement actions.
She primarily practices before civil courts and governmental agencies in South Texas (San Antonio, Laredo, Corpus Christi and the Rio Grande Valley) and New Mexico. She has also been involved in civil litigation in other states, before the International Trade Commission, and in Canada.
Public Relations, Government Relations, and Litigation Strategies
Ms. Sullivan has significant experience working in collaboration with public relations and government relations firms to develop an overall dispute resolution and/or litigation strategy for clients who find themselves in the public eye.
International Probate Disputes
Familial disputes arise when a foreign national passes away with assets in Texas and abroad. Ms. Sullivan has experience in representing clients in Texas courts who find themselves in this situation and require an attorney who understands the issues that arise from simultaneous estate litigation in Texas and abroad.
Ms. Sullivan has represented clients in appeals and mandamus proceedings in South Texas and New Mexico.
Ms. Sullivan's international trade practice involves developing import, export, and FCPA compliance programs, advising clients on U.S. Customs laws and U.S. Export Control regimes, and representing clients before U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the International Trade Commission and the Court of International Trade.
Ms. Sullivan is admitted to practice in Texas and before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas.
More about Elena Villaseñor Sullivan: Experience | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- In re Helena Chemical Company, 286 S.W.3d 492 (Tex. App.- Corpus Christi 2009, orig. proceeding) (granting mandamus relief where trial court denied motion to strike intervention filed where defendant would suffer extreme prejudice otherwise)
- Effectively utilized innovative trial presentation tools, including multi-media presentations involving timelines, electronic exhibits, discovery excerpts and video clips
- Prepared and conducted jury research studies
- Organized electronic discovery production and review for a patent dispute case involving over 100,000 documents; utilized electronic discovery management system; developed review and production protocol to reduce litigation costs
More about Elena Villaseñor Sullivan: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Ms. Sullivan is a member of the San Antonio Bar Association, the Bexar County Women's Bar Association, and the Federal Bar Association. In 2011, Ms. Sullivan was accepted to the North Chamber of Commerce of San Antonio's Leadership Lab Class. She was also accepted to the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce's Leadership Class 2012.
- Junior Achievement South Texas, Board of Directors, educating students about work readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy through experiential, hands-on programs (2010 - present)
- National Association of Women's Business Owners, An Income of Her Own Committee, encouraging teens in San Antonio public high schools to attend college, pursue entrepreneurship, and achieve financial independence by providing mentorships, training, and scholarships. (2009 - present)
- San Antonio Food Bank, warehouse packaging and Community Kitchen volunteer (2007 - present)
- Community Justice Program Just Take One, pro bono representation of indigent clients with their divorce and estate planning needs (2005 - present)
- Member of Bexar County Women's Bar Association Community Service Committee, informing membership of community service opportunities (2009 - 2010)
More about Elena Villaseñor Sullivan: Biography | Experience | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Ms. Sullivan was selected to San Antonio Business Journal's 2012 "40 Under 40" list. She was named a San Antonio "Rising Star" by Scene in S.A. Monthly (2009-2010, 2013) and has also been named a "Rising Star" (2010-2014) by Thomson Reuters.
More about Elena Villaseñor Sullivan: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
Ms. Sullivan has spoken on the following:
Links to Publications
More about Elena Villaseñor Sullivan: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Recognition | News