Elena Villaseñor Sullivan is an experienced trial attorney and appellate attorney who the San Antonio Business Journal selected as one of the top 40 business leaders in San Antonio under the age of 40 and described Ms. Sullivan as tenacious in the courtroom and beyond. Ms. Sullivan attributes her success in the courtroom and the negotiation table to her passion for advocating for her clients. She places emphasis on communication and results. Beyond the courtroom, Ms. Sullivan also serves as an advisor to clients looking to strengthen their business. With her experience seeing good deals go bad, Ms. Sullivan provides a distinct perspective to clients seeking to prevent legal disputes in the future.
Ms. Sullivan represents companies and individuals in a wide range of civil lawsuits, involving breach of contract, business torts (such as fraud, negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, misappropriation of trade secrets), environmental torts, intellectual property infringement, and international probate disputes. She primarily practices before state courts, federal courts, and governmental agencies in South Texas (San Antonio, Laredo, Corpus Christi and the Rio Grande Valley) and New Mexico. She has been involved in civil litigation before the United States International Trade Commission located in Washington, D.C. She also has experience in adversary administrative proceedings involving licensing, permitting and enforcement actions.
Ms. Sullivan's clients cross a broad range of industries and include financial institutions, real estate developers and brokers, health care providers, tech companies, agriculture production companies, oil and gas operators, and Mexican nationals with probate disputes in the United States. Ms. Sullivan utilizes the vast depth of industry–specific transactional attorneys within Jackson Walker as members of her litigation team, allowing her to focus on what she excels at–advocacy by simplifying the complex. Ms. Sullivan has a unique ability to quickly and thoroughly understand her client's business and develop a litigation strategy that meets their business objectives.
Ms. Sullivan has developed particular experience in the following areas:
Ms. Sullivan has been involved in several lawsuits pertaining to commercial real estate development, including the development of planned residential communities.
Ms. Sullivan has represented financial institutions in a wide variety of matters including:
- collecting promissory notes and guarantees;
- defending wrongful foreclosure, and liability claims; and
- defending against consumer data breach and fraud victim claims.
Ms. Sullivan has represented many physicians who are in disputes with their partners and seeking to dissolve the group or withdraw from the group.
Intellection Property/Trade Secrets/Non–Competes
Ms. Sullivan representation of clients has included matters involving unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of non–compete agreements, breach of non–disclosure agreements, breach of confidentiality agreements, and patent infringement.
Ms. Sullivan has a wide range of experience representing companies with environmental regulatory, administrative, and litigation needs. She has spent years representing companies in the agricultural industry, defending environmental tort claims and implementing litigation, public relations, and governmental relations strategies to regain damaged reputations related to false claims of environmental injuries resulting from company operations.
Familial disputes arise when a foreign national passes away with assets in Texas and abroad. Ms. Sullivan has experience in representing clients in Texas courts who find themselves in this situation and require an attorney who understands the issues that arise from simultaneous estate litigation in Texas and abroad.
Ms. Sullivan has represented clients in appeals and mandamus proceedings in South Texas and New Mexico.
Outside General Counsel
Ms. Sullivan acts as outside general counsel and advisor to several client entities, selecting legal teams and overseeing work for clients who have needs in several legal areas. In this facet of her practice, Ms. Sullivan demonstrates her commitment to client service by taking the time to gain a thorough understanding of her clients' business, providing value–added solutions, and personally ensuring that the clients' legal needs are met in an efficient and cost–effective manner.
More about Elena Villaseñor Sullivan: Experience | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- Helena Chem. Co. v. Uribe, 2013–NMCA–017; 293 P.3d 888 (2012), cert. denied (upholding final judgment of defamation).
- In re Helena Chemical Company, 286 S.W.3d 492 (Tex. App.– Corpus Christi 2009, orig. proceeding) (granting mandamus relief where trial court denied motion to strike intervention filed where defendant would suffer extreme prejudice otherwise).
- Yurii Borshch, M.D. v. Premier Pain Consultants, P.A.; Dmitriy Buyanov, M.D., and Larina Gutenberg, D.O., In the 45th Judicial District Court of Bexar County, Texas, Cause No. 2012–CI–05629 (after a week–long evidentiary hearing obtained temporary injunction against Defendants, preserving the Plaintiff's physician–patient relationship and his physician practice; after a two day hearing, obtained a contempt order after Defendants violated the temporary injunction).
- In re TXCO Resources Inc., vs. Peregrine Petroleum, Inc., In the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Texas, San Antonio Division, Cause No. 09–51807 (obtained order granting non–party $50,000.00 in attorney's fees for responding to a subpoena for the production of documents).
- Jesus J. Ruiz and RJH, Inc. v. Compass Bank, Pablo Garza, and Frank Hastings, In the District Court of 49th District, Webb County, Texas, Cause No. 2010–CVF–000765–D1 (foreclosure work–out of a residential real estate development).
- Juan Gabriel Treviño v. Capital One Financial Corporation, et. al., United States District Court; Southern District of Texas, Civil Action B–11–CV–14 (successfully defended against retail consumer lending claim; after a damaging deposition, borrower dismissed lawsuit with prejudice without obtaining a settlement from the Defendant).
- Significant experience working in collaboration with public relations and government relations firms to develop an overall dispute resolution and/or litigation strategy for clients who find themselves in the public eye.
- Effectively utilize innovative trial presentation tools, including multi–media presentations involving timelines, electronic exhibits, discovery excerpts and video clips.
- Prepare and conduct jury research studies.
- Organize electronic discovery preservation, production, and reviews involving over 100,000 documents; utilize electronic discovery management systems; develop, review and production protocols to reduce litigation costs.
- Work with computer forensic exam experts to coordinate, conduct, and manage forensic examinations of the electronic systems of opposing parties who have failed in fulfilling their discovery obligations or have engaged in the destruction or spoliation of evidence.
More about Elena Villaseñor Sullivan: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Ms. Sullivan is a member of the San Antonio Bar Association, the Bexar County Women's Bar Association, and the Federal Bar Association. In 2011, Ms. Sullivan was accepted to the North Chamber of Commerce of San Antonio's Leadership Lab Class. She was also accepted to the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce's Leadership Class 2012.
Ms. Sullivan grew up in San Antonio, where she graduated from Robert E. Lee High School. As a San Antonio native, Ms. Sullivan is committed to the development and improvement of San Antonio, Bexar County, and the surrounding areas.
- Member of the San Antonio Bar Association (2005 – present)
- Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, Leadership San Antonio (Class of 2013)
- North Chamber of Commerce of San Antonio's Leadership Lab (Class of 2012)
- Junior Achievement South Texas, Board of Directors, educating students about work readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy through experiential, hands–on programs (2010 - present)
- Junior Achievement South Texas, Classroom Volunteer at Robert E. Lee High School and Capital One's Finance Park, teaching students about finances and the path to career success (2010 – present)
- Witte Museum, Business Development Committee (2013 – present)
- National Association of Women's Business Owners, San Antonio Chapter Foundation (Entrepreneurial Connections formerly An Income of Her Own), Committee Member and Volunteer, encouraging girls in San Antonio public high schools to attend college, pursue entrepreneurship, and achieve financial independence by providing mentorships, training, and scholarships. (2009 – 2013)
- Community Justice Program Just Take One, pro bono representation of indigent clients with their divorce and estate planning needs (2005 – present)
- San Antonio Food Bank, warehouse packaging and Community Kitchen volunteer (2007 – 2010)
- Member of Bexar County Women's Bar Association Community Service Committee, informing membership of community service opportunities (2009 – 2010)
More about Elena Villaseñor Sullivan: Biography | Experience | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- Part of the team awarded the North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce's ATHENA Organizational Leadership Award, which recognizes women leaders and organizations that encourage women to achieve their full potential (2014).
- Awarded "40 Under 40" by the San Antonio Business Journal, award honoring young professionals in San Antonio who are making a difference in their respective professional fields and in the community (2012)
- Selected as a San Antonio "Best Lawyer" by the S.A. Scene (2013–2014)
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Thomson Reuters as featured in Texas Monthly (2010–2015)
- Latino Leaders Magazine, selected as one of twenty San Antonio rising stars (2014)
- Named as a “Rising Star” by the S.A. Scene (2009–2010, 2013)
More about Elena Villaseñor Sullivan: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
Ms. Sullivan has spoken on the following:
Links to Publications
More about Elena Villaseñor Sullivan: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Recognition | News
More about Elena Villaseñor Sullivan: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications |
Fluent in English and Spanish
B.A. International Studies, cum laude
, Boston College
- American University World Capitals Program in Santiago, Chile (Spring 1998)
J.D., University of Southern California Law School
- United States District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, Western, and Northern Districts of Texas