Andrew L. Baumgardner
Andrew Baumgardner is a San Antonio lawyer who focuses his practice on commercial real estate and related corporate matters. With 15 years of legal experience, Andrew has represented clients in a variety of acquisition, development, and leasing projects, both locally and around the country. Andrew also serves as outside general counsel and consults clients on corporate and litigation matters related to commercial real estate issues.
Having grown up in a real estate family and having served five years as general counsel of a regional real estate development company, Andrew brings tremendous value to his clients by having a unique, practical understanding of their needs, a business acumen for real estate, and an effective “results-oriented” approach to facilitating a transaction. Andrew is also a conscientious lawyer who regularly places himself in the shoes of his clients, has a keen commitment to detail, and strives to stay current with the latest market and legal trends in the industry to provide the best possible service to his clients.
B.B.A., summa cum laude, St. Mary’s University
- Honors Program
J.D. with honors, University of Texas School of Law
Commercial Real Estate Law
Andrew has represented sophisticated private and institutional parties, including individuals, regional developers and Fortune 500 companies, with respect to the acquisition, disposition, leasing, financing and development of all types of commercial properties, including:
- Retail shopping centers, from small strip centers to large multi-anchored power centers
- Grocery and convenience stores
- Office buildings, from small office buildings to large office building complexes
- Medical office buildings and healthcare facilities, including ambulatory surgery centers
- Build-to-suit developments for single users, including pharmacies, restaurants and other retail uses
- Multifamily and mixed-use developments
- Historical downtown buildings
- Public and private schools
- Golf courses
- Self-storage facilities
- Industrial buildings and distribution centers
- Quarrying operations
- Large ranch tracts
Andrew has also served as special real estate counsel for asset purchase transactions involving real estate, including company acquisitions and the buy-back of franchisee assets.
Entity formation, joint ventures, tenant-in-common agreements
Outside General Counsel
Advise on corporate strategy and coordinate litigation matters related to commercial real estate issues
- Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2022-Present
- Fellow, San Antonio Bar Foundation, 2022
- “Top Attorneys” List, Real Estate, San Antonio Magazine, 2019
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List – Real Estate Transactions, San Antonio Scene, 2005, 2015, 2017-2022
- 40 Under 40 Award, San Antonio Business Journal, 2016
- Inductee, Fellows of the Texas Bar Foundation, 2016
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2004-2007
- Presenter, “Construction Financing Trends,” Association of Corporate Counsel, South Central Texas Chapter CLE, “San Antonio’s Changing Skyline: Legal and Other Developments In Finding and Contracting for Your Facilities” (March 2023)
- Real Estate Council of San Antonio
- San Antonio Real Estate Council Leadership Development Program, Graduate
- San Antonio Bar Association
- North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, Board Member
- Leadership San Antonio 42nd Class
January 26, 2023Attorney News
Andrew Baumgardner Receives Board Certification in Commercial Real Estate Law
Jackson Walker proudly congratulates Andrew L. Baumgardner on becoming Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization (TBLS).
September 6, 2022Attorney News
‘Scene in S.A.’ Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 “Best S.A. Lawyers” List
Jackson Walker congratulates the 42 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2022 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list.
January 26, 2022Attorney News
San Antonio Bar Foundation Elects Andrew Baumgardner as 2022 Fellow
Andrew Baumgardner has been elected as a fellow of the San Antonio Bar Foundation (SABF) in honor of his professional achievements and commitment to the legal community.
July 14, 2021Attorney News
‘Scene in S.A.’ Recognizes 38 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 “Best S.A. Lawyers” List
In its 17th year, the “Best S.A. Lawyers” list presents attorneys across 80 distinct practice areas who were nominated by fellow licensed, practicing attorneys of Bexar County. The survey takes the voters for each attorney into account, including where the voter works, their practice area, and how many years they have practiced.
July 30, 2020Attorney News
‘Scene in S.A.’ Recognizes 40 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2020 “Best S.A. Lawyers” and “Rising Star Lawyers” Lists
In its 16th year, the “Best S.A. Lawyers” list presents attorneys across 80 distinct practice areas who were nominated by fellow licensed, practicing attorneys of Bexar County.
June 24, 2019Attorney News
‘San Antonio Scene’ Recognizes 39 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2019 “Best Lawyers” List
In its 15th year, S.A. Scene‘s “Best S.A. Lawyers” list presents attorneys across 80 distinct practice areas who were nominated by fellow licensed, practicing attorneys of Bexar County.
June 14, 2019Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Whataburger in Sale of Majority Interest to BDT Capital Partners
Jackson Walker advised iconic Texas fast-food chain Whataburger in the sale of a majority interest to BDT Capital Partners, LLC, a Chicago-based merchant bank that advises and invests in family and founder-led companies.
July 23, 2018Attorney News
‘San Antonio Scene’ Recognizes All San Antonio Attorneys in “Best Lawyers” List
Jackson Walker congratulates the 37 attorneys who were recognized in San Antonio Scene’s “Best S.A. Lawyers” and “Rising Star Lawyers” lists for 2018.
June 29, 2017Attorney News
36 Jackson Walker Attorneys Recognized in S.A. Scene’s 2017 Best Lawyers List
Jackson Walker is proud to announce that 36 of its partners and counsel have been recognized in S.A. Scene magazine’s “Best S.A. Lawyers 2017” list.
December 1, 2016Attorney News
Jackson Walker’s Andrew Baumgardner Selected to Leadership San Antonio
Jackson Walker partner Andrew Baumgardner was selected as a member of Leadership San Antonio’s 42nd class. Andrew will join a diverse group of leaders committed to improving the community.