Art Cavazos is a finance and corporate lawyer who focuses his practice on complex financial transactions and other business matters. His clients include companies from a range of sectors including finance, healthcare, energy, real estate, construction, and technology. His transactional experience includes M&A, private placements, entity formation and governance, and general contract negotiations.
Art’s significant finance experience includes representation of both lenders and borrowers in a variety of transactions, including syndicated, bilateral and club facilities, secured and unsecured facilities, first, second lien and mezzanine facilities, revolvers and term loans, acquisition financings, commercial real estate and construction loans, asset-based loans, reserve-based loans, commodities and derivatives transactions, and others. He has also helped guide lenders and borrowers through distressed loan workouts and bankruptcy debtor-in-possession financings.
Moreover, Art’s diverse transactional practice affords him broad experience that enables him to identify problems, find solutions, and help clients achieve their goals. This includes advising companies on mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring and governance, private debt and equity securities offerings, and other complex business transactions.
B.B.A., Texas A&M University
- National Merit Scholar
- President’s Endowed Scholar
J.D., Columbia Law School
- Operations Editor, Columbia Law Review
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Represented BBVA Compass Bank, as lender, in connection with $45 million revolving loan and $5.3 million term loan credit facility for building materials supply company borrower.
- Represented Texas Capital Bank, N.A., as lender, in connection with amendment and restatement of multiple credit facilities secured by commercial real estate for group of affiliated borrowers.
- Represented Bank of America, N.A., as administrative agent, in connection with $725 million revolving credit facility to Memorial Resource Development Corp.
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production company, as borrower, in connection with $500 million revolving credit facility and $125 million second lien term loan facility.
- Represented Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., as administrative agent, in connection with distressed workout of $200 million revolving credit facility to Emerald Oil, Inc., as borrower, and subsequent bankruptcy financing.
- Represented major institutional lender, as administrative agent, in connection with $75 million second lien term loan facility to oil and gas exploration and production company.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a public mobile advertising solutions provider in its transformative acquisitions of three international mobile advertising companies valued in excess of $1 billion.
- Represented Abraxas Petroleum Corporation in connection with the exchange of $3.2 million in cash, 2 million shares of Abraxas Petroleum Corporation stock and certain surface estate real estate for certain oil & gas assets from Blackbeard Resources, LLC.
- Represented matchmaking company with operations in Austin and San Antonio, as seller, in connection with the purchase of substantially all of its assets by Dallas-based matchmaking company, as buyer.
- Represented regional owner-franchisee of national fast food chain, as seller, in connection with the purchase of substantially all of the equity in its operating company.
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production company, as a counterparty, in connection with nine ISDA Master Agreements and schedules, each with a major institutional swap dealer.
- Represented multinational automatic teller machine operator, as a counterparty, in connection with four ISDA Master Agreements and schedules, each with a major institutional swap dealer.
- Represented technology startup, as issuer, in connection with $2 million second-round secured notes offering.
- Represented fund, as purchaser, in connection with the purchase of $5 million notes from technology startup, as issuer.
- Represented microwave radiation pathogen sterilization company, as licensee, in connection with the licensing of its technology to multinational baked goods company.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Banking and Finance Law, 2022-2023
- Corporate Law, 2022-2023
- Lawdragon 500 X – The Next Generation – Corporate, Finance, 2023
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2018-2023
- Business & Corporate
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- “Rising Star Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2018, 2020-2022
- Business & Corporate
- Securities and Corporate Finance
- San Antonio Chamber of Commerce – Leadership San Antonio, Class 48, 2024
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Columbia Law School, Reunion Committee Co-chair
- U.S. Green Building Council, LEED Accredited Professional (Building Design and Construction)
- Advisory Board Member, Justice Technology Association
December 5, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker partner Art Cavazos, Jr. has been selected as a member of the 48th Class of Leadership San Antonio (LSA). Established in 1975 by the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, LSA boasts a history of graduating nearly 2,000 participants. The program identifies individuals exhibiting leadership potential who actively contribute to community organizations supporting the growth and development of San Antonio.
December 4, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s December 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
November 15, 2023Podcast: Future-Ready Business
The release of ChatGPT in late 2022 thrust AI into the forefront of public conversations, shifting attitudes from initial skepticism to the current widespread fascination. In this episode of FRB, we engage in a conversation with the CMO of HyperDraft, Inc., Ashley Carlisle, as she provides a comprehensive exploration of the future of AI and its multifaceted impact on law, business, ethics, and professional growth.
September 18, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 44 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2023 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list. In its 19th year, the “Best S.A. Lawyers” list presents attorneys across 80 distinct practice areas who were nominated by fellow licensed, practicing attorneys of Bexar County.
August 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
July 17, 2023Client Results
Jackson Walker represented Grupo Cuprum, S.A.P.I. de C.V. (“Grupo Cuprum”), the largest aluminum extruder in Latin America, in the closure of a new $280 million syndicated loan. BBVA México acted as Sole Lead Arranger and Bookrunner for the transaction.
July 13, 2023Attorney News
Art Cavazos, Amanda Crouch, and Manny Schoenhuber Named to Lawdragon’s List of 500 Next-Generation Lawyers
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of Art Cavazos, Amanda Crouch, and Manny Schoenhuber to the “Lawdragon 500 X – The Next Generation” list for 2023.
In its announcement, Lawdragon noted: “The achievements and pace at which these lawyers have vaulted to the forefront of the legal profession is remarkable. They represent the tried-and-true paths worn by those who came before them.”
March 15, 2023Podcast: Future-Ready Business
Outside of Jackson Walker, William Nilson runs a bespoke clothing consultancy, and Courtney White reaches the masses through her Courthouse Couture blog and social media. In this episode of FRB, Erin and Art engage in a conversation with William and Courtney about fashion and the intersection of art and business.
February 15, 2023Podcast: Future-Ready Business
In recent months, a new AI-powered chatbot has made its way to the forefront of conversations about innovative technology. However, ChatGPT is just one example of how artificial intelligence and machine learning seem poised to become as integral to business as the internet and the computer. While many embrace the advances of AI and automation, others still struggle with the looming fear that their jobs may one day be replaced by AI. On this episode of FRB, we take a dive into AI and automation, and how it may influence industries in the near future.
~26 minutes | JW Future-Ready Business Podcast
January 18, 2023Podcast: Future-Ready Business
Following the pandemic, many industries have experienced major shifts in the way that they do business. In the forefront is the healthcare industry, which was forced by the pandemic to consider the benefits of value-based healthcare, as opposed to more traditional fee-for-service models, when the world shut down. On this episode of FRB, Erin Camp and Art Cavazos discuss with Dr. Lane Aiena what exactly value-based care is and how the business landscape in the healthcare industry is changing.
33~ minutes | JW Future-Ready Business Podcast