Ashley Scheer has over 20 years of experience advising and counseling clients about employment issues. Ashley provides solid, practical advice and prides herself on being responsive to client’s needs. Her pragmatic approach assists clients in avoiding litigation, however she is also a zealous advocate and has represented clients in a broad range of employment litigation in federal and state courts and related proceedings. Additionally, she is an experienced investigator of workplace complaints and other law firms and insurance companies engage her to conduct in-house investigations of employee complaints.
Active within the city of Dallas charitable and civic communities, Ashley has a track record of giving back to the community. It is the personal connection she makes with clients that separates her from other employment attorneys. In addition to conducting investigations, Ashley often provides in house training to clients on various employment issues.
Ashley’s practice focuses on the representation of clients in a broad range of employment litigation in federal and state courts and related proceedings. Additionally, she handles disputes before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the U.S. Department of Labor, and state agencies in claims of discrimination and wage and hour administrative investigations. Ashley has experience in matters involving all forms of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour issues, and noncompetition matters.
Ashley’s nonlitigation practice includes advising and counseling clients about legal compliance and risk management relating to employment and human resource issues. Ashley advises clients with employee discipline and termination, reductions in force, leaves of absence, hiring and promotion practices, drug testing, worker’s compensation, workplace violence and protection of confidential information.
Ashley was appointed in 2015 to the American Arbitration Association’s panel of arbitrators for employment disputes.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., SMU Dedman School of Law
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
Ashley has represented individuals and employers in employment matters in the following industries:
- Oil and Gas
- Numerous successive representations of physician staffing firms in the enforcement of noncompetition and nonsolicitation agreements
- Successfully defended national hotel chain in FMLA lawsuit
- Obtained summary judgment for national healthcare company in race discrimination lawsuit
- Successfully defended oil and gas company in same sex harassment lawsuit
- Successfully defended healthcare company in wrongful termination and defamation lawsuit
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Speaker, “2020 Employment and Labor Law Update,” Jackson Walker Labor & Employment Law Symposium (October 2020)
- Author, “Is There Anything Improper About Taking a Vacation During FMLA Leave?” Jackson Walker Insights (September 2019)
- Speaker, “Top 10 Mistakes Employers Make and How to Keep from Making Them,” Jackson Walker Labor & Employment Law Symposium (October 2018)
- American Arbitration Association
- Employment Panel, National Roster of Arbitrators and Mediators
- Aspire (formerly Literacy Instruction for Texas (LIFT))
- Board of Trustees
- Chair, Human Resources Committee
- Founding Chair, LIFT’ers
- Girls, Inc. of Metropolitan Dallas
- Board of Trustees
- Vice Chair, Human Resources Committee
- Leadership Dallas, Class of 1998
- Dallas Bar Association, Fellow
- Women’s Business Council Southwest, Certification Appeals Committee
- Greenhill School, Board of Trustees
- Parent Association of Greenhill School
- Ursuline Academy, Former Member of the Board of Trustees
- The Family Place, Former Volunteer of the Year
- ARTS for People, Former Co-President
- North Texas Food Bank, Volunteer
- Austin Street Shelter, Volunteer
- Big Brothers Big Sisters, Volunteer
- Vogel Alcove, Volunteer
- Lovers Lane United Methodist Church, Volunteer
October 26, 2020Insights
Jackson Walker and Lockton Present 2020 Labor & Employment Law Symposium
Now in its 22nd year, the Labor & Employment Law Symposium held on Monday, October 26, 2020, featured speakers from Jackson Walker and Lockton as they covered the various updates in labor and employment law as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
September 18, 2019Newsletters
Labor & Employment Dispatch: September 2019
Featuring insights on recent cases involving the Family and Medical Leave Act and tips for curbing FMLA abuse; seven employment attorneys who were named 2019 “Texas Super Lawyers”; the 2019 Dallas Labor & Employment Law Symposium; and Ariana Grande’s lawsuit against Forever 21.
September 18, 2019Insights
Is There Anything Improper About Taking a Vacation During FMLA Leave?
Two recent court cases illustrate an employer’s dilemma when faced with hearing about an employee who is on FMLA leave and has taken a personal trip during the leave.
January 7, 2019Newsletters
Labor & Employment Dispatch: January 2019
The January 2019 edition features insights on enforcing covenants not to compete, the National Labor Relations Board’s Strategic Plan for 2019 through 2022, the top three most-viewed presentations from the 2018 Labor & Employment Law Symposium, and Houstonia‘s “Top Lawyers” of 2018.
October 24, 2018Newsletters
Labor & Employment Dispatch: October 2018
The October 2018 edition features Preview of Employment Cases Pending Before the Supreme Court and the 2018 Labor & Employment Law Symposium.
April 1, 2015Attorney News
Ashley Scheer Joins the AAA Panel of Arbitrators
Jackson Walker partner Ashley Scheer recently completed the American Arbitration Association’s (AAA) “Arbitration Fundamentals and Best Practices for New AAA Arbitrators” training program.
June 13, 2014Attorney News
Ashley Scheer Elected to Board of Trustees for Girls Inc.
Jackson Walker partner Ashley Scheer was recently elected to the Board of Trustees for Girls Inc. of Metropolitan Dallas.
May 7, 2013Attorney News
Steve Moore and Ashley Scheer Speak at Convergence 2013
Steve Moore and Ashley Scheer spoke at the Dallas CPA Society’s Convergence 2013: Bringing Together National Experts and Texas Know How conference on May 8, 2013, in Dallas, Texas.
December 6, 2012Client Results
Jackson Walker Represents Select Milk Producers in Joint Venture with The Coca-Cola Company
Jackson Walker successfully represented Select Milk Producers, Inc., a cooperative of 87 large family-owned dairies, in a joint venture with The Coca-Cola Company to operate a health and wellness company known as Fair Oaks Farms Brands.