Ashley P. Withers
Ashley P. Withers advises clients on a wide variety of tax matters. She has a broad-based tax practice that includes representing businesses, family offices, tax-exempt organizations, and individuals on tax strategies, compliance, and tax-efficient organizational structuring. In her transactional practice, Ashley’s experience includes:
- Assisting private businesses and family offices with organizational tax planning
- Representing buyers and sellers on the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions
- Advising companies on the tax treatment of certain relief available under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
- Assisting religious and charitable organizations with organizational structuring and property tax exemptions
- Advising individuals and businesses on the tax aspects of the purchase and use of private aircraft
- Advising clients on Qualified Opportunity Zone investments, including the initial formation, structuring, and ongoing compliance
- Assisting clients in determining their eligibility for qualified small business stock (section 1202) treatment
Ashley’s practice also includes representing businesses and individuals in tax controversy matters. In her controversy practice, she has successfully defended clients in IRS audits and appeals and secured favorable private letter rulings.
B.A., summa cum laude, Stephen F. Austin State University
J.D., cum laude, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law
United States Tax Court
Texas Supreme Court
- Represented buyers and sellers of businesses on the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, including post-transaction structuring
- Advised businesses and tax-exempt organizations on COVID-related tax relief, including the tax treatment of loan proceeds and payroll tax deferrals available under the CARES Act
- Assisted large charitable and religious organizations with organizational structuring and planning
- Secured religious and charitable property tax exemptions and agricultural appraisals for clients with local appraisal districts; advised organizations on qualification and use of property for exempt or special appraisal purposes
- Advised cross-border companies and trusts on tax treatment of payments and withholding obligations
- Help companies with W-2 compliance and determine the tax treatment of various employee programs
- Advised aircraft owners on depreciation matters and federal excise taxes applicable to aircraft
- Obtained successful private letter rulings from the IRS
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.), Tax Law, 2023
- Distinguished Alumna, SMU Dedman Women In Law, 2021
- Outstanding Director Award, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL), 2018
- W. Frank Newton Service Award, Texas Tech University School of Law, 2012-2013
- “Senate Passes Significant Tax Changes Over the Weekend” (August 2022)
- “IRS Extends Federal Tax Deadlines for Texas Due to Winter Storms” (February 2021)
- “Tax Planning for a Biden Presidency” (January 2021)
- “Payroll Tax Relief and Latest Developments in Retirement Plans and Benefits” (August 2020)
- “The CARES Act: Tax Relief and Incentives” (March 2020)
- “IRS Extends Tax Filing and Payment Deadline” (March 2020)
- “Why Lawyers and Firms Should Actively Manage Their Online Presence” (July 2017)
- “Top 10 Free and Low-Cost Legal Research Resources,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (February 2017)
- Speaker, “Tax & Real Estate – The Inflation Reduction Act & More,” Houston Real Estate Lawyers Council (HRELC) (October 11, 2022)
- Speaker, “Partnership/S-Corp/C-Corp/Trust Update,” TXCPA Summit 2022 (August 2022)
- Moderator, “Land the Job You Want,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers and SMU Dedman School of Law (2021)
- Panelist, “What to Expect When You’re Expecting…Bar Results,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (2018, 2019)
- Panelist, “Thoughts from Hiring Decision-Makers,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (2018)
- Panelist, “Straight Talk on Legal Employment,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (2018)
- Panelist, “Women’s Guide to Building and Protecting Their Wealth,” Presented by the Dallas Women Lawyers Association, Moms-In-Law, and the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (2019)
- Moderator, “A Day in the Life of an Attorney,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, UNT Dallas College of Law (2017)
- “How to Ethically Maximize and Monetize Your Online Presence,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers CLE Program (2017)
Jackson Walker Fast Takes
- “How the Proposed $2.1 Trillion Tax Hikes Could Impact U.S. Businesses and Taxpayers,” Fast Takes podcast (September 2021)
- “Federal Tax Filing Extended to July 15th, But Of Course, It’s Not That Simple,” Fast Takes podcast (April 2020)
- “CARES Act: Tax Relief and Incentives for Businesses and Employers,” Fast Takes webinar (April 2020)
- “CARES Act: Tax Relief and Incentives for Individuals,” Fast Takes webinar (April 2020)
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL) Foundation, Life Fellow
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL)
- Board of Directors, 2017-2021
- Law Student Assistance Committee, Co-Chair, 2015-2016; Board Liaison, 2017-2021
- Moms in Law, Member, 2018-Present
- DAYL/Dallas Women Lawyers Association (DWLA), Mentoring Circles, 2017-2018
- Junior League of Dallas, Member, 2015-2016
- Texas Tech University of Law Traveling Moot Court Team, Coach, 2011-2014
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
September 27, 2022Client Results
Novaria Group, a leading manufacturer of specialty hardware, components, and coatings for the aerospace and defense industries, recently completed its acquisition of STROCO Manufacturing, Inc. This deal marks the sixth acquisition Novaria has announced from December of 2021 through July of 2022, taking place after its successful acquisitions of FMi Chemical, Hohman Plating, Advanced Coating, Hydro Fitting, and GK Mechanical Systems.
August 18, 2022Podcasts
~11.5 minutes | Featuring Nick Diamond & Ashley Withers
With the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 now signed into law, there are a number of changes to federal tax and healthcare laws. Nick Diamond and Ashley Withers join Jackson Walker’s Fast Takes podcast for a brief overview of key changes to taxes and healthcare under the new law.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 16, 2022Insights
By Ashley P. Withers
The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 has been signed into law. This article highlights key tax components that may impact you. Most of the Act’s tax changes go into effect on January 1, 2023, and should be considered in planning for 2023 and beyond.
September 24, 2021Podcasts
~13 minutes | The U.S. House Ways and Means Committee has approved a proposal to increase certain taxes by $2.1 trillion to offset the House Democrats’ $3.5 trillion government spending plan. With a long way to go and a number of possible changes to be made along the way, Ron Kerridge, Argyrios Saccopoulos, Nate Smithson, and Ashley Withers discuss some of the key aspects of the proposal.
March 23, 2021Attorney News
In honor of her commitment to uplifting women in the law and serving the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Ashley P. Withers will be presented with the 2021 Distinguished Alumna Award by SMU Women in Law during the Annual Spring Brunch on Wednesday, April 7.
February 24, 2021Insights
The IRS announced that it has extended certain tax return and payment deadlines for those impacted by the Texas winter storms. Texas residents and businesses now have until June 15 to file and pay federal tax returns that would have normally been due on or after February 11.
February 11, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s February 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
January 12, 2021Insights
In this article, we outline selected tax law changes that President Joe Biden has proposed, both in speaking engagements and on his campaign website, some or all of which could be enacted in 2021 or future years.