Ashley P. Withers
Ashley P. Withers advises clients on a wide variety of tax matters. She has a broad-based tax practice that includes representing businesses, family offices, tax-exempt organizations, and individuals on tax strategies, compliance, and tax-efficient organizational structuring. In her transactional practice, Ashley’s experience includes:
- Assisting private businesses and family offices with organizational tax planning
- Representing buyers and sellers on the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions
- Advising companies on the tax treatment of certain relief available under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
- Assisting religious and charitable organizations with organizational structuring and property tax exemptions
- Advising individuals and businesses on the tax aspects of the purchase and use of private aircraft
- Advising clients on Qualified Opportunity Zone investments, including the initial formation, structuring, and ongoing compliance
- Assisting clients in determining their eligibility for qualified small business stock (section 1202) treatment
Ashley’s practice also includes representing businesses and individuals in tax controversy matters. In her controversy practice, she has successfully defended clients in IRS audits and appeals and secured favorable private letter rulings.
B.A., summa cum laude, Stephen F. Austin State University
J.D., cum laude, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law
United States Tax Court
Texas Supreme Court
- Represented buyers and sellers of businesses on the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, including post-transaction structuring
- Advised businesses and tax-exempt organizations on COVID-related tax relief, including the tax treatment of loan proceeds and payroll tax deferrals available under the CARES Act
- Assisted large charitable and religious organizations with organizational structuring and planning
- Secured religious and charitable property tax exemptions and agricultural appraisals for clients with local appraisal districts; advised organizations on qualification and use of property for exempt or special appraisal purposes
- Advised cross-border companies and trusts on tax treatment of payments and withholding obligations
- Help companies with W-2 compliance and determine the tax treatment of various employee programs
- Advised aircraft owners on depreciation matters and federal excise taxes applicable to aircraft
- Obtained successful private letter rulings from the IRS
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.), Tax Law, 2023-2024
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2023
- Best Lawyers Under 40, D Magazine, 2023
- Distinguished Alumna, SMU Dedman Women In Law, 2021
- Outstanding Director Award, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL), 2018
- W. Frank Newton Service Award, Texas Tech University School of Law, 2012-2013
- “Planning for 2023 and Beyond – Tax Changes in the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022” (August 2022)
- “IRS Extends Federal Tax Deadlines for Texas Due to Winter Storms” (February 2021)
- “Tax Planning for a Biden Presidency” (January 2021)
- “Payroll Tax Relief and Latest Developments in Retirement Plans and Benefits” (August 2020)
- “The CARES Act: Tax Relief and Incentives” (March 2020)
- “IRS Extends Tax Filing and Payment Deadline” (March 2020)
- “Why Lawyers and Firms Should Actively Manage Their Online Presence” (July 2017)
- “Top 10 Free and Low-Cost Legal Research Resources,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (February 2017)
- Speaker, “Tax Considerations Behind Structuring a Deal,” TexasBarCLE’s 14th Annual Essentials of Business Law Course (March 2023)
- Speaker, “Tax & Real Estate – The Inflation Reduction Act & More,” Houston Real Estate Lawyers Council (HRELC) (October 2022)
- Speaker, “Partnership/S-Corp/C-Corp/Trust Update,” TXCPA Summit 2022 (August 2022)
- Moderator, “Land the Job You Want,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers and SMU Dedman School of Law (2021)
- Panelist, “What to Expect When You’re Expecting…Bar Results,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (2018, 2019)
- Panelist, “Thoughts from Hiring Decision-Makers,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (2018)
- Panelist, “Straight Talk on Legal Employment,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (2018)
- Panelist, “Women’s Guide to Building and Protecting Their Wealth,” Presented by the Dallas Women Lawyers Association, Moms-In-Law, and the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (2019)
- Moderator, “A Day in the Life of an Attorney,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, UNT Dallas College of Law (2017)
- “How to Ethically Maximize and Monetize Your Online Presence,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers CLE Program (2017)
Jackson Walker Fast Takes
- “How the Inflation Reduction Act Changes Tax and Healthcare Laws” (August 2022)
- “How the Proposed $2.1 Trillion Tax Hikes Could Impact U.S. Businesses and Taxpayers” (September 2021)
- “Federal Tax Filing Extended to July 15th, But Of Course, It’s Not That Simple” (April 2020)
- “CARES Act: Tax Relief and Incentives for Businesses and Employers” (April 2020)
- “CARES Act: Tax Relief and Incentives for Individuals” (April 2020)
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL) Foundation, Life Fellow
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL)
- Board of Directors, 2017-2021
- Law Student Assistance Committee, Co-Chair, 2015-2016; Board Liaison, 2017-2021
- Moms in Law, Member, 2018-Present
- DAYL/Dallas Women Lawyers Association (DWLA), Mentoring Circles, 2017-2018
- Junior League of Dallas, Member, 2015-2016
- Texas Tech University of Law Traveling Moot Court Team, Coach, 2011-2014
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
August 10, 2023Insights
By Aaron P. Pinegar and Ashley P. Withers
The employee retention tax credit (“ERTC”) has garnered a lot of “buzz” lately – both from the IRS and businesses who have either received the credit or are seeking the credit. The buzz is well deserved, as the IRS has recently published several items of new guidance revealing what businesses should expect when claiming the ERTC.
April 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 23, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 63 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2023 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
March 6, 2023Speaking Engagements
Jackson Walker attorney Ashley P. Withers will present “Tax Considerations Behind Structuring a Deal” on Friday, March 10 at the TexasBarCLE’s 14th Annual Essentials of Business Law Course.
January 30, 2023Attorney News
Vienna Flores Anaya, David Schlottman, and Ashley Withers were included in D Magazine’s 2023 “Best Lawyers Under 40” list recognizing outstanding young attorneys in the North Texas area.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
September 27, 2022Client Results
Novaria Group, a leading manufacturer of specialty hardware, components, and coatings for the aerospace and defense industries, recently completed its acquisition of STROCO Manufacturing, Inc. This deal marks the sixth acquisition Novaria has announced from December of 2021 through July of 2022, taking place after its successful acquisitions of FMi Chemical, Hohman Plating, Advanced Coating, Hydro Fitting, and GK Mechanical Systems.
August 18, 2022Podcasts
~11.5 minutes | Featuring Nick Diamond & Ashley Withers
With the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 now signed into law, there are a number of changes to federal tax and healthcare laws. Nick Diamond and Ashley Withers join Jackson Walker’s Fast Takes podcast for a brief overview of key changes to taxes and healthcare under the new law.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.