Ashley P. Withers
Ashley P. Withers is an attorney in the tax practice of Jackson Walker’s Dallas office. She focuses her practice on tax planning for complex corporate, partnership, family, and inter-generational transactions as well as tax controversy matters including IRS audits and appeals. Her experience includes analyzing anti-conduit financing arrangements, 1099 and W-2 reporting compliance, taxability of litigation settlements, and tax implications of stock transfers in various situations. Ashley has become particularly adept at working with clients to understand and utilize Qualified Opportunity Zones (QOZs), which permit investors to sell or exchange appreciated assets, invest the gain in certain ventures within a geographically designated QOZ, and receive substantial tax benefits as a result.
Prior to focusing her practice on tax, Ashley was a Research Attorney at Jackson Walker. As a Research Attorney, she conducted in-depth legal research for a variety of practice areas and analyzed the development of novel legal issues, legislative history, federal and state case law, regulations, and statutes, jury verdicts, and judicial ruling history.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Ashley served as the Associate Director of Employer Relations at Texas Tech University School of Law, where she researched legal employer hiring practices, employer news, and industry trends. Ashley also previously practiced as an associate attorney at a small firm in Lubbock, where she served as the primary legal researcher and writer for the firm’s major cases, drafting petitions and complaints, discovery requests and responses, deposition questions, correspondence with clients and opposing counsel, settlement agreements, orders, and legal memoranda.
B.A., summa cum laude, Stephen F. Austin State University
J.D., cum laude, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law
- Outstanding Director Award, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL), 2018
- W. Frank Newton Service Award, Texas Tech University School of Law, 2012-2013
- “CARES Act: Tax Relief and Incentives for Businesses and Employers,” Jackson Walker Fast Takes webinar (April 2020)
- “CARES Act: Tax Relief and Incentives for Individuals,” Jackson Walker Fast Takes webinar (April 2020)
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL), Board of Directors, 2017-2019
- DAYL/Dallas Women Lawyers Association (DWLA), Mentoring Circles, 2017-2018
- DAYL Law Student Assistance Committee, Co-Chair, 2015-2016
- Junior League of Dallas, Member, 2015-2016
- Texas Tech University of Law Traveling Moot Court Team, Coach, 2011-2014