Austin Thomas is a trusts and estates attorney assisting clients in Houston and beyond with all aspects of business and estate planning. Austin’s practice focuses on the preparation of wills and trusts, lifetime transfers of assets, and structuring of family businesses, as well as analysis of related tax issues. Austin’s experience includes the implementation of advanced strategies to transition ownership of family businesses and other property from one generation to the next while minimizing federal transfer taxes.
B.A., Rice University
J.D., The University of Texas at Austin
- Texas International Law Journal, Articles and Notes Editor
Estate Planning and Probate Law
Austin’s practice experience includes many aspects of wealth planning and estate administration, including but not limited to
- Estate and business succession planning
- Planning to minimize gift, estate, and generation-skipping transfer taxes
- Preparation of wills, incapacity planning documents, and trust agreements
- Estate and trust administration
- Preparation and review of gift tax returns and estate tax returns
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.), Trusts and Estates, 2021-2023
- Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law, 2020-present
- Armand Bayou Nature Center Foundation, Board of Trustees
- The Junior League of Houston, Active Member
- HSPVA Friends, Advisory Board
- Houston Estate and Financial Forum, Member
- Houston Bar Association Probate, Trusts, and Estates Section, Member
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
February 11, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the election of 14 attorneys to the Firm’s partnership on Friday, February 11, 2022. In addition to electing 14 new partners, the Firm also congratulates Bart Cicuto, Noah Speck, and Austin Thomas on their promotion from associates to senior counsel.
October 5, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s October 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.