Brian D. Pettis
Brian Pettis is a corporate, securities, and private investment funds attorney, licensed in both California and Texas. Brian advises public and private companies, investors, issuers, sponsors, and underwriters in connection with mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, startups, and private investment funds. He also has experience as outside general counsel for small companies and family offices, and in the migration of companies from California to Texas. Brian’s clients span many industries, including technology and real estate, and many locations throughout the U.S. and abroad.
Prior to Jackson Walker, Brian served in the United States Air Force as an Airborne Cryptologic Linguist and was a police detective and field training officer for the San Jose Police Department. While attending law school, Brian was a research assistant to Professor Eric Goldman and a student associate in the Entrepreneurs’ Law Clinic.
B.S., cum laude, Bellevue University
J.D., summa cum laude, Santa Clara University School of Law
- Mabie Outstanding Graduate
- Order of the Coif
- High-Tech Law Certificate with Honors – Corporate Specialization
- Veterans Law Society, Senior Board Member
- SCU Law and Business Society, Vice President
- Represented an issuer on an IPO valued at US$1.86 billion
- Assisted in the private equity fundraise of US$4 billion among Cayman and Lux parallel entities
- Represented a private equity firm on the US$225 million sale in friendly tender offer of interests in Lux entities held in Cayman LP fund
- Represented a private equity firm on marketing and sales in Canada and Europe
- Represented a family office on investments in venture capital, private funds, and startups by way of traditional equity, SAFES, convertible notes, and warrants
- Advised clients on entity formations and amending and restating governing documents and other transactional agreements
- Represented companies totaling more than US$4 billion in migration from CA to TX
- Represented a technology startup on issuance of founders shares to new equity holders
- Represented a technology startup on EULAs in gig economy space for consumers and service providers
- Represented a private equity firm on SEC inquiry of investment activity
- Assisted in the acquisition of real estate assets
- Assisted in employment and separation agreements
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.), Corporate Law, 2024
- “40 Under 40”, San Antonio Business Journal, 2023
- “Best S.A. Lawyers,” San Antonio Scene, 2022-2023
- “Rising Star Lawyers” List – Corporate/Business, San Antonio Scene, 2022
- St. Basil the Great Greek Orthodox Church, Board Member and Volunteer, 2011-2019
December 4, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s December 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
November 10, 2023Podcasts
JW Fast Takes Podcast | ~9 minutes
In this episode, Roderick Faulk and Brian Pettis discuss their military service and the profound impact their service has had on shaping their legal careers.
September 18, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 44 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2023 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list. In its 19th year, the “Best S.A. Lawyers” list presents attorneys across 80 distinct practice areas who were nominated by fellow licensed, practicing attorneys of Bexar County.
August 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
April 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
February 21, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates Brian Pettis on his inclusion in San Antonio Business Journal’s 2023 class of “40 Under 40” list recognizing forty professionals under the age of forty who are making a difference in San Antonio.
February 20, 2023Attorney News
Minoo Blaesche, Paisley Park, and Brian Pettis Selected to Participate in Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Programs
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of Minoo Blaesche, Paisley Park, and Brian Pettis to participate in training programs offered by the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD).
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
September 6, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 42 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2022 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list.