Bryan C. Birkeland
Bryan Birkeland is a versatile transactional attorney recognized for his depth of experience in real estate, international, and energy matters. While a considerable amount of his practice focuses on counseling clients making U.S. inbound and outbound real estate investments in a variety of product types and locales, Bryan has substantial experience handling matters extending into the energy and transactions financing industries, including the development, redevelopment, purchase, and sale of various real estate and energy product types, as well as representing clients in the voluntary and involuntary restructuring and rearrangement of distressed assets.
Bryan’s clientele are regional, national, and international by origin, lending him valuable insight and experience into handling matters related to assets across the globe, namely the United States, Canada, Mexico, Latin America, Europe, and Asia.
Bryan’s longstanding and comprehensive experience enables him to creatively identify and craft practical, efficient approaches to solving challenges presented by assets or portfolios of assets. Bryan has tailored solutions for clients in a diverse range of real estate, energy, and transactional matters, including the designation and redevelopment of an urban center historical district; the assemblage, planning, and development of several 1,000+ acre suburban communities; condominiums, ground leases, restrictions and owner associations; workouts involving over 4,000 assets; and the acquisition and disposition of an 82 asset industrial portfolio.
Bryan is a former President of Globalaw Ltd., previously holding positions as Vice President and member of the Executive Committee. He is currently Chairman of the Membership Committee Bryan was instrumental in the creation of the global law network, which now boasts more than 86 member firms across 71 nations, and is considered among the top 10 legal networks worldwide.
Born just south of the Canadian border near a city frequently announced as a daily “coldest in the U.S.,” Bryan made his move to Texas when his father’s business relocated to San Antonio. Bryan then served as high school student body president, and continued his education at The University of Texas at Austin and The University of Texas School of Law before joining Jackson Walker in 1976. Prior to entering private practice, Bryan lectured on oil and gas law at the University of Texas. In 1984, Bryan joined the Firm’s management committee and has continued to help shape the future of Jackson Walker since then.
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Texas at Austin
J.D., cum laude, University of Texas School of Law
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Delta Sigma Rho-Tau Kappa Alpha
Scope of Experience
- Land assemblage, infill development and redevelopment, suburban and urban
- Farm and ranch acquisitions and dispositions
- Mixed use development
- Vertical development, sales and acquisitions
- Retail – all product types from malls to grocery -anchored and neighborhood products
- Office – garden, mid-level and high rise
- Multifamily – town homes, garden, mid and high rise, urban and recreational, and condominium
- Industrial – e-commerce, logistics and distribution
Certain of the above have been incidental to multi-jurisdictional and tax advantaged structures, financing related to the above, governmental incentives and unique historical or site specific considerations.
- Ground lease of five tracts for urban transit-oriented development, including an office tower, two multifamily towers, hotel, and retail
- Acquisition of suburban corporate campus in connection with redevelopment of the site with $275,000,000 mixed use development
- Exchange with municipality to facilitate client’s retail development and adjacent professional sports training facility
- 44 tract central city redevelopment assemblage
- Assemblage of three urban sites for current development of over $350,000,000 of multi-family and mixed use development
- Acquisition of two historic hotels and golf resort destination community
- Vertical and horizontal condominiumization
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Real Estate Law, 2006-2023
- Dallas Bar Association, International, Energy, and Real Estate sections
- Texas Bar Association, International, Energy, and Real Estate sections
- ImPACt Dallas
- Community Leadership Committee
- Past Director of The Real Estate Foundation
- Past Director of Dallas Zoological Society
- K-Life Dallas
- Lawyering in the International Market and International Asset Securitization, Center for International Legal Studies Conference, Chairman
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
May 31, 2022Spotlight
Bryan Birkeland and Manny Schoenhuber Represent Jackson Walker at Globalaw European Regional Meeting
Jackson Walker has maintained a steady presence in Globalaw under the leadership of Bryan Birkeland. Recently, Bryan was joined by fellow Jackson Walker attorney Manny Schoenhuber at the Globalaw EMEA regional meeting held May 19-21, 2022, in Luxembourg.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
August 14, 2020Insights
August 10, 2020Insights
What is the most significant change we’ve seen in regulation in the past year? What impact will COVID-19 have in shaping regulations in the future if any? What regulations can we expect in the future?
August 14, 2019Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 109 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2020 Edition, With Eight Named “Lawyers of the Year”
Jackson Walker congratulates our 109 attorneys named to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Lawyers in America 2020 list, including eight attorneys who were named “Lawyers of the Year.”
April 16, 2019Client Results
Japan-based luxury hotel firm Kintetsu Enterprises Co. of America has purchased a portion of The Campus at Legacy West from Silos Harvesting Partners L.P. to build the first Miyako Hotel in Texas.
August 16, 2018Attorney News
Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas. For over three decades, recognition in Best Lawyers has been regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor, since an attorney cannot pay to be listed.
August 15, 2017Attorney News
The Best Lawyers in America, a widely regarded guide to legal excellence, has recognized 94 Jackson Walker attorneys in its 2018 edition. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.