Catharine Yen is an immigration attorney in Jackson Walker’s Houston office with particular experience in foreign investment and business immigration matters. Catharine represents foreign nationals and immigrant investors in all aspects of the EB-5 process to facilitate cross-border and business immigration transactions dealing with regional centers and direct investments. In her practice, Catharine corresponds with and counsels individual investors, regional centers, agents, securities attorneys, economists, and business plan writers to help her individual investor clients and regional center clients accomplish their goals.
Catharine’s knowledge of the EB-5 visa program, process, and timeline has allowed her to file hundreds of approved I-526 and I-829 petitions. She also regularly prepares and files I-924 Regional Center Applications. Catharine also assists corporate clients in a variety of immigration matters, including non-immigrant visas (H1B, H1B1, E1/E2, E3, L, O, TN) and immigrant visas (EB1A and EB1C). Catharine also frequently advises clients on family-based and naturalization matters.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Catharine managed the entire immigration department of an international full-service law firm. She is proficient in Mandarin Chinese.
B.A., Rice University
J.D., University of Houston Law Center
Foreign Investment & Immigration
- Preparation and filing of EB-5 immigrant investment petitions, including I-526 petitions, I-829 petitions, and I-924 Regional Center Applications & amendments
- Preparation and filing of employment-based visas (EB-5, EB-1C, E-2 and L-1), family-based visas, and U.S. naturalization cases
- Advisement on business plans, economic reports, and securities offering documents to ensure compliance with U.S. immigration laws
- Texas Rising Star – Immigration Law, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2018-2023
- Southern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2018
- Top 25 EB-5 Immigration Attorney, EB5 Investors Magazine, 2017
- Co-Author, “House of Gold: Documenting Property-Related Source of Funds for Vietnamese Investors,” EB5 Investors Magazine (July 2018)
- Co-Author, “Permissible and Impermissible Guarantees in EB-5,” EB5 Investors Magazine (November 2016)
- Co-Author, “Evaluating an EB-5 Investor from a Regional Center’s Perspective,” American Bar Association Section of International Law, Immigration & Naturalization Committee Newsletter (November 2014)
- Co-Author, “Immigrant Investor Visas: Emergent Trends Around the World,” American Bar Association International Law News Journal (Fall 2014)
- Co-Author, “A Report on Source of Funds: Perils of the Administrative Fee,” EB5 Investors Magazine (Spring 2014)
- Co-Author, “My Regional Center is Approved! Now What?” EB5 Investors Blog (January 2014)
- Co-Author, “Evolving Escrow: Navigating Delayed USCIS processing times,” EB5 Investors Magazine (Winter 2014)
- Co-Author, “Recent Revocations and Enforcement May Change the EB-5 Landscape,” IIUSA (June 2013)
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), Member
- Asian American Bar Association of Houston, Member
- Social Committee, 2019
- Diversity and Inclusion Committee, 2021
April 24, 2023Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – April 2023
View Jackson Walker’s April 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 23, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2023 Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 63 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2023 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – April 2022
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2022 Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
March 23, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2021 Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 36 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2021 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list. Spanning five offices and eight major practice areas, these up-and-coming attorneys have been nominated by peers within and outside the Firm.
February 11, 2021Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – February 2021
View Jackson Walker’s February 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 12, 2020Insights
USCIS Increases Filing Fees for Certain Immigration Petitions and Applications
Effective October 2, 2020, any application, petition, or request postmarked on or after the effective date must be accompanied with the adjusted fees listed in this article.
July 22, 2020Insights
Impacts of COVID-19 on U.S. Immigration and Travel Policies
As USCIS, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and the U.S. Department of State update U.S. travel and immigration policies and restrictions, Jackson Walker provides this resource to assist individuals and businesses navigate this uncertain time.
July 21, 2020Insights
Embassies and Consulates to Resume Phased Visa Processing
The Department of State has recently announced that U.S. Embassies and Consulates will begin a phased resumption of processing routine nonimmigrant and immigrant visas.
June 30, 2020Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – June 2020
Explore the accomplishments of our diverse attorneys and their involvement within our communities during the first half of 2020.