Chevazz G. Brown
Chevazz G. Brown is a Houston dispute resolution lawyer, also known as a litigator or trial attorney, with experience resolving a broad range of business and commercial disputes.
Chevazz typically handles disputes involving breach of contract; breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, fraud, and other torts; oil and gas and other energy industries; CERCLA (Superfund) contribution claims; real estate (land owners, developers, and managers); employment; insurance coverage; investor; professional and amateur athletes; and more.
Whether it is assessing liability or potential legal claims, drafting or responding to demands, negotiating favorable settlements, obtaining summary resolution, or successfully taking a dispute to verdict, Chevazz is well-equipped with sophistication and experience to assist you.
Before joining Jackson Walker, Chevazz had the distinct honor of serving as law clerk to the Honorable Kenneth M. Hoyt of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, Houston Division, where he gained intimate knowledge of court procedure and valuable intangibles. The insight Chevazz obtained from his time at the federal courthouse has translated into a competitive advantage for his clients and a deeper understanding of the litigation process as well as the legal and non-legal factors affecting a court’s or jury’s decision.
B.A., University of Georgia
M.P.A., University of Texas at San Antonio
J.D., summa cum laude, Thurgood Marshall School of Law
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of Texas
- Prompted favorable settlement on behalf of defendant energy client with innovative strategy in breach of contract claim involving accidental shut down of client’s natural gas processing plant where liability was clear.
- Won ~$3M arbitration award (including attorney fees) after five years of litigation against foreign energy defendant who refused to honor client’s maintenance agreement for power generator engines.
- Successfully defended pipe supplier against multi-million breach of contract claim and obtained $1.5MM judgment on counterclaim for unpaid commission.
- Successfully represented multiple clients in resolution of CERCLA contribution litigation involving significant clean-up costs, including for major energy companies.
- Defend major energy company involved in offshore drilling in significant dispute involving MSA.
- Key member of team that won dismissal on summary judgment for major real estate development client in four-year long case with $15M+ exposure that grew from one to 80+ plaintiffs alleging that client developed on known geologic faults.
- Produced favorable result for majority owner in shareholder derivative lawsuit by developing viable defense strategy and devising creative settlement terms.
- Part of trial team that obtained favorable outcomes for major homebuilder client facing $10M+ in two significant FLSA collective actions for unpaid overtime.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict for major real estate title company in personal injury action where Plaintiff sought $1M.
- Successfully defended public college client against defamation claim and one of first to obtain early dismissal and award of attorney’s fees under Texas Citizens Participation Act, also known as the Texas “Anti-SLAPP” statute.
- Regularly counsel commercial landlords and tenants and develop strategies to resolve issues or disputes arising from commercial leases.
- “Top Lawyer” in Best of Houstonia, Houstonia Magazine, 2018
- “Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2018-2020
- HBA Diversity Award in the Individual Category, Houston Bar Association’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee, 2021
- Trailblazer of the Year Award, Texas Minority Counsel Program (TMCP), 2019
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 2018
- President’s Award, Houston Bar Association, 2017
- “Rising Star,” Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2015-2017
- Top 50 Multicultural Lawyers of Houston, Texas Diversity Council, 2017
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Communications Law, Member
- Liaison to ABA Commission on Racial & Ethnic Diversity in the Profession
- Houston Bar Association, Co-chair of numerous committees, past ambassador, and frequent speaker
- AVANCE Houston, Inc., Director and Chair of Governance Committee
- Houston Young Lawyers Foundation
- Treasurer, 2015-2016
- Thurgood Marshall School of Law
- Blue Ribbon Committee, Member (2013)
- Ad Hoc Committee on Professional Identity, Co-Chair
- U.S. Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel, S.D. Tex. Houston Div. – Appointee, 2016
- Leadership Houston, Class XXXIII