Christopher A. Thompson
Chris Thompson is an insurance lawyer. He has litigated and counseled clients facing insurance disputes from coverage matters to bad faith cases to class actions, as well as claims coverage issues involving commercial general and excess liability, claims made under workers compensation, director and officer liability, residential and commercial property, and auto liability policies. Chris’ practice has involved common types of insurance — as well as many less common types of coverage (aviation, marine, credit/life/disability, and many more).
Speaking “insurance” is a skill Chris has developed over his 20-year legal practice, as well as his pre-law school career as an insurance adjuster. This experience helps his clients obtain favorable results in complex insurance matters ranging from single policyholder-insurer disputes, to industry-wide litigation, to class actions.
B.A., cum laude, Austin College
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Houston Law Center
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- Liberty Mutual Company v. Servisair, L.L.C., 16-20472 (5th Cir. June 27, 2017) – Successful prosecution and appellate affirmance of $3.6 million judgment in premium litigation involving large nationwide employer.
- Wooten v. Safeco Insurance Company, 15 AC-CC225 (Cir. Ct. Missouri 2015) – Dismissal of putative class action involving labor depreciation.
- Colonial County Mut. Ins. Co. v. Marston, et al., Cause No. 219-01145-2013 (219th District Court, Collin County, Texas 2014) – Summary judgment based on “other insurance” clause in auto policy.
- Lowe v. Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, (W.D. Ark. 2014) – Dismissal of putative class action involving labor depreciation.
- AIG v. ACE INA Holdings, (N.D. Ill. 2011) – Dismissal of claims against insurer in major industry-wide litigation relating to national worker’s compensation risk pool.
- Responded to dozens of demand letters for credit/life/disability insurer and avoided litigation maintaining no-coverage positions on claims.
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2018
Landing and Handling Insurance Defense Cases, Oklahoma County Bar Association 38th Annual Winter Seminar, February 2017
- Healing Hands Ministries
- Chair-Elect, 2017
- Secretary, 2015-2016
- Board Member, 2013–present
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow, 2008–present
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow, 2008–present
- Leadership Dallas, 2006–2007
- Dallas Arts District Alliance, Chair of the Board and Programs Chair, 2004–2009
- Leadership Arts – Class Project Steering Committee, Chair, 2003–2004
November 8, 2022Client Results
Ninth Circuit Upholds $18M Default Judgment for Energy Client
Jennifer Caughey and Peter Hansen, along with Chris Thompson and Dan Vineyard, obtained a unanimous appellate victory in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. That victory preserves an $18 million default judgment.
February 24, 2021Insights
Frequently Asked Questions: Insurance Claims for Winter Storm Damage
As your business begins to think about next steps following the winter storm, Jackson Walker has put together a list of some FAQs that may assist you with potential property insurance claims.
February 24, 2021Podcasts
What Businesses Should Know About Filing Insurance Claims After the Texas Winter Storm
As Texas businesses deal with property damages following the winter storm, Jackson Walker insurance litigation partner Chris Thompson discusses what business owners should consider when beginning the process of filing insurance claims to help cover the cost of repairs.
November 10, 2020Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises NuStar Energy L.P. in $106M Sale of Texas City Terminals
Jackson Walker represented NuStar Energy L.P. in connection with the sale of terminals in Texas City, Texas, to BWC Terminals for $106 million. Announced on November 2, 2020, the transaction is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2020 and proceeds will be used to improve debt metrics and self-funding of NuStar’s capital program.
January 24, 2019Client Results
Jackson Walker Represents Texas Utility Engineering in Strategic Partnership
Jackson Walker advised Texas Utility Engineering in the sale of its business to EN Engineering, a private equity-backed national engineering firm. The details of the transaction were not disclosed.
July 10, 2018Attorney News
‘D Magazine’ Lists 33 Jackson Walker Attorneys Among Best Lawyers in Dallas
Thirty-three Jackson Walker attorneys were recognized in the “Best Lawyers in Dallas 2018” list by D Magazine, one of the premier publications in the city of Dallas. To be recognized in the list, attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 34 categories.
August 31, 2017Insights
The Importance of Documenting Flood Damage
As the effects of Hurricane Harvey begin to dissipate, a number of you have asked another important, practical question:
Can I and should I start making temporary repairs and/or removing damaged items from my home?
August 29, 2017Insights
Hurricane Harvey: Helpful Insurance Information and FAQs
Once the storm has passed, and as your business begins to think about next steps following Hurricane Harvey, we have put together a list of some FAQs that may assist you with potential property and automobile insurance claims.
August 29, 2017Insights
Texas House Bill 1774 and Hurricane Harvey
As the impact of Hurricane Harvey continues this week, there has been a considerable amount of attention about Texas House Bill 1774, which was passed during the recent legislative session and goes into effect on September 1, 2017. The goal of this article is to explain the new law, including what it does and does not do.
September 21, 2009Client Results
JW Recognized for Dallas Woodall Rodgers Park Ground-Making
Jackson Walker was recently recognized at the “Ground-Making Ceremony” for Woodall Rodgers Park in Dallas, Texas. The Park is one of the biggest public/private initiatives currently being undertaken in the city.
- First party and liability claims
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Insurance claims practices litigation
- Class actions
- Premium collection matters