Chuck Campbell represents public and private sector clients in all areas of employee benefits and executive compensation. He regularly assists clients in the design, drafting, and compliance aspects of retirement plans (including 401(k), 403(b), and traditional pension plans), health and disability plans, deferred compensation plans (including handling aspects of 409A and 457 compliance), stock option and other equity compensation plans, severance arrangements, and executive employment agreements. In addition, a significant part of his practice involves representing public pension plans and their trustees. Chuck has unique experience addressing the varied issues that these organizations face, including issues surrounding plan administration, tax-qualified plan compliance, fiduciary responsibility, and plan investments.
Chuck also has extensive experience in handling the employee benefit issues involved in mergers, acquisitions, and other transactions, including the drafting and negotiation of relevant provisions in the transaction documents and the handling of the various transition issues that arise in such transactions. Because his practice focus is on federal income tax and ERISA issues, Chuck also represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of Labor, including the filing of determination letter requests and submitting retirement plans under the voluntary correction program of the IRS.
B.S., Washington and Lee University
J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law
- Restructure entire compensation program for large privately held company, including termination of existing non-qualified plans in compliance with Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code, designing and drafting new long-term incentive compensation plans for executives and all employees, review existing annual bonus incentive plan, and negotiate and draft employment agreements for key executives.
- Perform detailed analysis relating to various documentation and operational issues arising under large employer’s 401(k) plan, including advise client with respect to corrective action under the IRS’ Employee Plan Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS), prepare Voluntary Correction Program filing with the IRS, and complete filing under Department of Labor’s Delinquent Filer Voluntary Compliance Program.
- Address all employee benefit issues in significant acquisition involving a publicly traded company, including advise client on all executive compensation issues arising due to change in control (severance, stock option vesting, etc.), analysis on potential withdrawal liability in connection with participation in multi-employer plan, and negotiate process for benefit transition in connection with transaction.
- Handle all legal matters for large municipal retirement system, including preparing request for determination letter on qualified status of the plan, drafting legislation and administrative rules with respect to plan design and operational matters, reviewing all benefit claims and qualified domestic relations orders, advising Board of Trustees on fiduciary implications of relevant actions, and reviewing and negotiating investment agreements.
- Counsel large multi-national corporation on health and welfare benefit plan matters, including eligibility issues under health plan, administrative issues relating to health flexible spending account plan and review of various plan communications to participants.
- Draft and implement broad-based stock incentive plan for local publicly-traded corporation, including design of vesting provisions tied to specific individual and organizational performance goals.
- Negotiate employment agreements and other compensation arrangements for chief executive officer, presidents, and other executive officers on behalf of various clients, including publicly traded corporations, large privately-held companies, federal credit unions, large non-profit institutions and private universities.
- Prepare investment policy statement in connection with hiring of new investment consultant by governmental defined contribution plan, including review and negotiation of investment consulting agreement.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2008-2024
- Lawyer of the Year – Austin, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2019, 2021
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2008-2024
- Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Corporate Employment Lawyers, 2022
- Bronze Leadership Award, Junior Achievement of Central Texas, 2006
- “Texas Rising Star,” Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2005
- “Help Wanted: The Role Pension Benefits Play in the Struggle to Hire and Retain First Responders,” National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA) 2023 Legal Education Conference, San Antonio, TX (June 2023)
- “Table Discussions of Hot Fiduciary and Governance Topics,” National Association of Public Pension Attorney (NAPPA) 2023 Winter Seminar, Tucson, AZ (February 2023)
- “Legal Issues That Arise When Trustees, Beneficiaries, Members Change Their Minds,” Texas Local Fire Fighters Retirement Act (TLFFRA) Educational Conference, Lakeway, TX (October 2022)
- “87th Legislative Session Update for Public Pension Plans,” Jackson Walker LLP Client Webinar (July 2021)
- “ESG and the Near Term Impact to the Energy Industry,” Jackson Walker LLP Client Webinar (June 2021)
- “ESG Investing and Consideration of Non-Financial Factors: An Overview of Recent DOL Guidance and Fiduciary Implications for Your Fund,” National Conference on Public Employee Retirement Systems (NCPERS) Fall Conference (Webinar) (February 2021)
- “Retirement Plans to Fit Any ESD,” SAFE-D 19th Annual Conference, Texas State Association of Fire and Emergency Districts, Galveston, TX (February 2020)
- “The Nuts & Bolts of Board Governance,” National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA) Winter Meeting, Tempe, AZ (February 2020)
- “This Play is Under Further Review: Legal & Regulatory Developments in the Benefit Claims and Appeals Process,” 2020 Legislative Conference, National Conference on Public Employee Retirement Systems (NCPERS), Washington, D.C. (January 2020)
- Panelist, “Preparing Your 401(k) Plan for Inspection,” Southwest Benefits Association (SWBA) 2019 Webinar Series, (June 2019)
- “Legal Implications and Ethics of Trustee Communications – When Talk is NOT Cheap,” National Conference on Public Employee Retirement Systems (NCPERS) Annual Conference-Trustee Educational Seminar, Austin, TX (May 2019)
- “Fiduciary Considerations In Determining Actuarial Assumptions,” National Conference on Public Employee Retirement Systems (NCPERS) Public Safety Conference, Las Vegas, NV (October 2018)
- “Current Legal Issues Facing Your Fund,” Texas Local Fire Fighters Retirement Act (TLFFRA) Educational Conference, Temple, TX (September 2018)
- “Trustees Say the Darndest Things – Trustee Communications and Your Obligations as Counsel,” National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA) 2018 Legal Conference, Savannah, GA (June 2018)
- Austin Human Resources Management Association
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Good Shepherd Episcopal School
- Board of Trustees, 2007-2011
- President, 2008-2010
- Junior Achievement of Central Texas
- Board of Trustees, 2003-2011
- Executive Committee
- Memorial Endowment Fund of Good Shepherd Episcopal Church, Board of Trustees
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
- Travis County Bar Association
- West Austin Youth Association
- Soccer Coach
- Basketball Coach
- Flag Football Coach
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
June 13, 2023Speaking Engagements
Chuck Campbell to Speak at the National Association of Public Pension Attorneys Legal Education Conference
Jackson Walker partner Chuck Campbell is scheduled to present during the National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA) 2023 Legal Education Conference on Thursday, June 29, 2023 in San Antonio, Texas.
September 27, 2022Client Results
Novaria Group, a leading manufacturer of specialty hardware, components, and coatings for the aerospace and defense industries, recently completed its acquisition of STROCO Manufacturing, Inc. This deal marks the sixth acquisition Novaria has announced from December of 2021 through July of 2022, taking place after its successful acquisitions of FMi Chemical, Hohman Plating, Advanced Coating, Hydro Fitting, and GK Mechanical Systems.
August 29, 2022Client Results
Atlas Copco, a Swedish industrial tools and equipment manufacturer, has announced the acquisition of client Montana Instruments Corporation for an undisclosed purchase price. The acquisition is expected to close during the fourth quarter of 2022.
August 18, 2022Newsletters
View the August 2022 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 12, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 17 attorneys to Lawdragon‘s lists of the 500 leading practitioners in bankruptcy and restructuring law and corporate employment law.
October 14, 2021Client Results
Digital Turbine, a public leading independent mobile advertising solutions provider, has completed more than $1 billion in cross-border deals in 2021 through the acquisitions of Fyber, AdColony, and Triapodi (d/b/a Appreciate).
September 3, 2021Newsletters
View the September 2021 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.
August 23, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Periscope Holdings in Sale to Create North America’s Leader in Public eProcurement
Jackson Walker represented Austin-based eProcurement company Periscope Holdings, Inc. in the sale of its business to mdf commerce inc. for $207 million. Through the acquisition, mdf commerce is positioned to become a public eProcurement leader in North America.