Daniel E. Vineyard
Dan’s practice is focused on CERCLA and State Superfund cleanups and associated litigation. His 35 years of practice in this area and representation of clients big and small on response actions of every variety gives him a perspective on the practice shared by very few. His expertise has allowed him to efficiently analyze cases and provide sound strategic advice to assist his clients at hundreds of Superfund sites across the country.
Dan is a certified mediator and has successfully mediated numerous matters to resolution.
B.A., Oral Roberts University
J.D., University of Tulsa College of Law
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the First, Fifth, Eighth, and Ninth Circuits
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
United States District Court for the Central and Northern Districts of California
Dan has been involved in precedent-setting CERCLA litigation relating to municipal solid wastes and cost recovery.
- Represented client in successful cost recovery action involving 1,200 PRPs.
- Represented PRP Group in converting Unilateral Order to Consent Decree with forgiveness of substantial past costs.
- Obtained a unanimous appellate victory in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, preserving an $18 million default judgment that Dan and fellow Jackson Walker partner Chris Thompson had obtained at trial. It is rare to get a large default judgment, and it is also rare to uphold one in the Ninth Circuit.
- Negotiated a settlement with State in a very complex matter involving four Sites and hundreds of parties.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Ranked for Environment – Texas, 2018-2023
- Recognized Practitioner in Environment – Texas, 2008-2013, 2017
- Recognized Practitioner in Environment: Litigation – Texas, 2006-2007
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Environmental Law, 2022-2024
- Lawdragon Green 500: Leaders in Environmental Law, Environmental Law, esp. Superfund Cleanup, 2023
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Environmental & Energy Lawyers, Environmental Law – Superfund Cleanup, 2021
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2013-2019
- Top Attorney in Texas, Texas Monthly, 2015-2016
- “Expect New Standards for Landfills, Industrial Sites as EPA Tackles PFAS Discharge in Water,” Jackson Walker Insights (February 2023)
- “Justices Hold CWA Settlement Does Not Start the Clock on CERCLA Limitations,” Jackson Walker Insights (June 2021)
- “Supreme Court Allows “PRP” Landowners to Bring State Common Law Claims at Superfund Cleanup Site,” Jackson Walker Insights (April 2020)
- “Pros and Cons of Entering Model Form Consent Decrees With EPA,” EHS Support Sediment & PRP Summit (September 2022)
- “Set Your Sights on an Exit Strategy” and “Successes, Failures, and Lessons Learned,” EHS Support Sediment & PRP Summit in Philadelphia (September 2016)
- “I Need to Hire an Expert: Now What?!,” Chevron Law Department, Lunch and Learn Series (August 2012)
- “How To Handle Agency Inspections,” TransCanada USA Services, Inc. In-house Environmental Group (February 2009)
- “The Ethics of Negotiations,” The Woodlands Bar Association CLE Luncheon Series (January 2009)
- “Conflicts of Interest,” Chevron U.S.A. Law Department (June 2009)
- “CERCLA Cost Recovery and Allocation,” Mealey’s Environmental Litigation Conference (April 2005)
- “Managing CERCLA Litigation,” June 1994, Executive Enterprises, Inc. Southwest Environmental Regulations Seminar
- “CERCLA 101,” National Association of Manufacturers (May 1991)
- “The CERCLA Petroleum Exclusion and E&P Exception,” American Petroleum Institute (November 1990)
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- The Woodlands Bar Association, Former Vice President
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of California
- Houston Bar Association
- Carlton Woods Country Club, Board of Directors
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
June 1, 2023Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2023 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 51 attorneys and 17 departments for inclusion in the 2023 edition of the Global and USA guides. Attorneys recognized in the guides were ranked in 19 practice areas, with 4 attorneys listed among multiple areas and 6 named among the top attorneys nationwide in their respective areas.
February 14, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker announces the selection of Ali Abazari, Leonard Dougal, Michael Nasi, Benjamin Rhem, and Daniel Vineyard to “The Lawdragon Green 500: Leaders in Environmental Law” list for 2023.
February 6, 2023Insights
EPA recently issued the Effluent Guidelines Program Plan 15 to address the widespread “forever chemicals,” known as per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), found in water, air, fish, and soil around the world.
By Daniel Vineyard & Tyler Self
November 8, 2022Client Results
Jennifer Caughey and Peter Hansen, along with Chris Thompson and Dan Vineyard, obtained a unanimous appellate victory in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. That victory preserves an $18 million default judgment.
August 29, 2022Speaking Engagements
During the 2022 Sediment & PRP Summit on September 22, 2022, Jackson Walker partner Daniel E. Vineyard will present “Pros and Cons of Entering Model Form Consent Decrees With EPA.” The presentation will evaluate the advantages and disadvantages for a responsible party to enter into a consent decree for the investigation and remediation of a contaminated sediment site.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
June 1, 2022Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2022 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 48 attorneys and 16 departments for inclusion in the 2022 edition of the Global and USA guides.
November 16, 2021Attorney News
‘Lawdragon’ Lists 15 Jackson Walker Attorneys Among 500 Leading Lawyers in Environmental, Energy, and Employment Law
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 15 attorneys to Lawdragon‘s list of the 500 leading practitioners in environmental and energy law and corporate employment law.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
Dan has a national Superfund and natural resource damages practice and handles litigation associated with CERCLA sites. He serves as common counsel for a number of PRP Groups.
Dan has represented clients in hundreds of these matters for 35 years in every EPA Region – first as in-house counsel for a major oil company, then as outside counsel. He has also been lead counsel in more than 30 CERCLA cases in jurisdictions from coast to coast.
In addition, Dan has litigated pipeline and construction cases and mediated several energy cases.
Dan has developed particular expertise in the following areas:
- CERCLA and its state analogs
- CERCLA litigation
- Natural Resource Damages