David Schlottman is an advisor and litigator who focuses on complex cases involving employees, the workplace, and related business disputes. He has wide-ranging experience in helping clients with business problems and lawsuits involving wage-and-hour issues, employee competition, theft of trade secrets, contract claims, compensation disputes, employment discrimination and retaliation, and union-related disputes.
David distinguishes his practice through preparation, knowledge of the rules, exceptional work product, and accessibility and responsiveness to clients. Whether the case is big or small, David strives to deliver creative and tailored case strategies in line with a client’s business objectives and cost expectations.
David stays current on relevant legal trends through regular participation in local bar activities and assisting with continuing legal education presentations. Additionally, David has served as a contributor to the influential treatise Employment Discrimination Law, which is published by the American Bar Association’s Section of Labor & Employment Law.
Throughout law school at Baylor, David was recognized for his advocacy and written work product. He was a member of winning mock trial and moot court teams. He was also published in the Baylor Law Review and later served as its Editor-in-Chief for the 2011-2012 school year.
B.A., with high honors, Abilene Christian University
J.D., magna cum laude, Baylor Law School
- Editor-in-Chief, Baylor Law Review , 2011-2012
- Baylor Moot Court Team
- Baylor Mock Trial Team
- Order of Barristers
United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
A principal focus of David’s practice is defending wage-and-hour litigation under the Fair Labor Standards Act. His experience ranges from single-plaintiff lawsuits to large, multi-plaintiff and collective actions concerning:
- Unpaid Overtime
- Unpaid Wages
- Employee Misclassification
- Tip Disputes
- FLSA Retaliation
David also focuses his practice on claims involving employee competition and trade secrets. He has brought and defended lawsuits on behalf of companies and individuals regarding:
- Theft of Trade Secrets
- Breach of Non-Compete Agreements
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty
David has experience defending companies and managers in a variety of employment-related lawsuits, including claims over:
- Improper Denial of Medical Leave
- Wrongful Termination/Breach of Employment Contract
- Compensation/Bonus/Stock Option Disputes
- False Imprisonment
Traditional Labor Relations
David represents management in disputes involving unions and the National Labor Relations Board. His experience includes:
- Defending employers against unfair labor practice charges filed with the NLRB
- Counseling management in union disputes and collective bargaining
- Representing management in labor arbitrations under CBAs
In addition to litigating disputes, David helps employers proactively avoid lawsuits through planning, counseling, and advising about day-to-day operations. Whether it is reviewing a company’s employment policies or addressing the best way to handle a difficult employee, David offers practical and forward-looking advice to prevent future litigation.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Up and Coming in Labor & Employment – Texas, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2021-2023
- Employment Law – Individuals, 2022-2023
- Employment Law – Management, 2023
- Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2021-2023
- Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Corporate Employment Lawyers, 2022
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2017-2022
- Named to “Up-and-Coming 100: 2022 Texas Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2022
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas,” D Magazine, 2018
- “Fifth Circuit Requires District Courts to Follow More Stringent Standard to Certify FLSA Collective Actions,” Jackson Walker Insights (January 2021)
- “The Workplace Mobility Act of 2019: Will Congress Ban Employee Non-Competes?” Jackson Walker Insights (November 2019)
- Employment Discrimination Law, 2015 Cumulative Supplement, 5th Ed. – Chapter 28 Contributor
- In Critical Condition: Diversicare General Partner, Inc. v. Rubio, Marks v. St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital, and the State of Healthcare Liability Claims in Texas, 62 BAYLOR L. REV. 526
- “Wage and Hour Update,” 32nd Annual Labor and Employment Law Institute of the Labor & Employment Law Section of the State Bar of Texas (August 2022)
- “Year Two of the Pandemic – A Legal Update,” Texas Employment Relations Symposium (August 2022)
- “Wage and Hour Update,” UT Law CLE’s 29th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference (May 2022)
- “Effective Use of Expert Witnesses,” State Bar of Texas 30th Annual Advanced Employment Law Course (April 2022)
- “2021 Employment and Labor Law Update,” Jackson Walker Fall Labor & Employment Symposium (November 2021)
- “Wage and Hour Update,” State Bar of Texas 31st Annual Labor and Employment Law Institute (August 2021)
- “Wage and Hour Update,” UT Law CLE’s 28th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference (May 2021)
- “Legislative Wish List,” Jackson Walker Employment Law After the Election Webinar (November 2020)
- “Workforce Restructuring: Strategies and Legal Considerations,” Jackson Walker Labor & Employment Law Symposium (October 2020)
- “Arbitration Intersects With Employment Law,” UT Law CLE’s 27th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference (May 2020)
- “Arbitration Update,” Dallas Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section (February 2020)
- “2018-19 Arbitration Update – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: A Plaintiff and Defense Perspective,” 30th Annual Labor and Employment Law Institute (August 2019)
- “Religion and the Workplace,” Collin County Bar Association Corporate Counsel Section (January 2019)
- “Religious Accommodation and Discrimination – Religion and the Workplace,” Jackson Walker Labor & Employment Law Symposium (October 2018)
- Materials Author, “Beyond Damages: Unconventional Experts in Employment Cases,” UT Law CLE’s Labor and Employment Law Conference (May 2016)
- Materials Author, “Not Your Grandfather’s NLRA: Recent Decisions by the Board and the Courts,” UT Law CLE’s Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference (May 2013)
- “Harassment in the Workplace: Dangerous Liaisons,” State Bar of Texas 10th Annual Advanced Business Law Course (November 2012)
- Board of Directors of Community Partners of Dallas (CPD), Member, 2017-Present
- Dallas Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section
- State Bar of Texas Labor and Employment Law Section, Council Member, 2018-2020
January 30, 2023Attorney News
D Magazine Lists Vienna Anaya, David Schlottman, and Ashley Withers Among “Best Lawyers Under 40”
Vienna Flores Anaya, David Schlottman, and Ashley Withers were included in D Magazine’s 2023 “Best Lawyers Under 40” list recognizing outstanding young attorneys in the North Texas area.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – November 2022
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
September 27, 2022Client Results
Jackson Walker Represents Novaria Group in Completing Six Acquisitions in Seven Months
Novaria Group, a leading manufacturer of specialty hardware, components, and coatings for the aerospace and defense industries, recently completed its acquisition of STROCO Manufacturing, Inc. This deal marks the sixth acquisition Novaria has announced from December of 2021 through July of 2022, taking place after its successful acquisitions of FMi Chemical, Hohman Plating, Advanced Coating, Hydro Fitting, and GK Mechanical Systems.
August 19, 2022Speaking Engagements
John Jansonius and David Schlottman to Present at 32nd Annual Labor and Employment Law Institute
During the 32nd Annual Labor and Employment Law Institute, John Jansonius and David Schlottman will present the latest developments related to labor law and wage and hour matters. Held at JW Marriott Hill Country Resort in San Antonio on August 26-27, 2022, the conference is presented by the Labor & Employment Law Section of the State Bar of Texas.
August 18, 2022Newsletters
Labor & Employment Dispatch: August 2022
View the August 2022 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 12, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 17 Attorneys Named to 2022 Lawdragon 500 Lists
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 17 attorneys to Lawdragon‘s lists of the 500 leading practitioners in bankruptcy and restructuring law and corporate employment law.
August 1, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – August 2022
View Jackson Walker’s August 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
July 29, 2022Speaking Engagements
David Schlottman to Present “Year Two of the Pandemic – A Legal Update” at Employment Relations Symposium
David Schlottman is scheduled to present “Year Two of the Pandemic – A Legal Update” at the Texas Employment Relations Symposium on August 12, 2022.
July 7, 2022Newsletters
Labor & Employment Dispatch: July 2022
View the July 2022 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.