Elizabeth Carol Freeman
Elizabeth Carol Freeman is a partner in the bankruptcy litigation, restructuring, reorganization, and workouts practice of Jackson Walker’s Houston office. With over 20 years of experience with out-of-court workouts and complex bankruptcy and reorganization matters, Liz assists clients with workouts of distressed loans, including the negotiation of amend and extend agreements.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Liz served for six years as law clerk to Judge David R. Jones, Chief Bankruptcy Judge for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas. She is Board Certified in Business Bankruptcy Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
B.A., University of Missouri
J.D., Baylor University Law School
Texas State District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
Texas State Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Represents Chapter 11 debtor in possession of a sixth-generation, ultra-deepwater semi-submersible drilling rig. Through its chapter 11 case, the company intends to address operational issues and sell or equitize the semi-submersible to satisfy its guaranty of nearly $950 million of secured bonds.
- Represents manufacturer in its chapter 11 case to address products liability claims and an FDA recall arising from distribution of faulty hand sanitizer and related products and to wind up the business.
- Represented a retailer in obtaining approval of a prepackaged reorganization plan within 24 hours of filing its Chapter 11 cases, setting a national record for the fastest-ever prepackaged case from filing to emergence. As a result of the restructuring, the retailer eliminated $450 million of debt, received $225 million of new capital for growth initiatives, and was able to maintain all 291 of its store locations across 16 states.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Ranked for Bankruptcy/Restructuring – Texas, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2009-2023
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2019, 2021-2023
- Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2023
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2022
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Global Restructuring & Insolvency Lawyers, 2020, 2022
- H Texas Top Lawyers of Houston, 2020
- “Top Lawyer” in Best of Houstonia, Houstonia Magazine, 2019
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2004-2011
- “Lamar Opinion Reminds Creditors to Get in Writing Any Representations About Debtors’ Financial Conditions,” Jackson Walker Insights (June 8, 2018)
- “Legal Lessons Learned from the 2020 Oil Crisis,” Jackson Walker webinar (June 2020)
- “3 Issues for Businesses to Consider Before Restructuring or Filing for Bankruptcy,” Jackson Walker Fast Takes Podcast (May 28, 2020)
- “Raiders of the Lost Ark (of the Covenant Running With the Land), And Other Hot Bankruptcy Issues,” 46th Annual Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute (March 27, 2020)
In the News
- “E&P Bankruptcies Move in ‘Very Hairy’ Direction,” Hart Energy (July 2, 2020)
- “2020 Oil & Gas Bankruptcy Trends: Midyear Report,” Law360 (June 23, 2020)
- “Corporate Bankruptcies: ‘Calm before the Storm’ in TX,” The Texas Lawbook (August 14, 2019)
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Member of the Southern District of Texas Complex Case Committee
- Chair for the Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Bench Bar Conference 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020
September 21, 2022Attorney News
Each year, less than 5% of attorneys in Texas are named to the list. Selection is based off of peer nominations that are then reviewed by a research team. Each nominee is evaluated on his or her professional accomplishments, peer recognition, and community involvement.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 12, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 17 attorneys to Lawdragon‘s lists of the 500 leading practitioners in bankruptcy and restructuring law and corporate employment law.
August 1, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
November 19, 2021Speaking Engagements
Liz Freeman will speak on a panel at the Jay L. Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference. The program, “Claim Objections Done Right,” will be include panelists Julie Harrison (Norton Rose Fulbright US) and Erin McKeighan (Alvarez & Marsal North America).
October 5, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s October 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
March 1, 2021Client Results
The Charlotte, North Carolina-based retailer filed its Chapter 11 cases at 5 p.m. The prepackaged reorganization plan was approved by 10 a.m. the following day and went effective just four hours later—setting a national record for the fastest-ever prepackaged case from filing to emergence.
February 23, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker is partnering with Kirkland & Ellis in representing Frontera Holdings, LLC, the owner and operator of the only U.S.-based power plant that sells all of its power to Mexico, in filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on February 3, 2021.