Eric practices litigation, Media law, and Intellectual Property law in our Dallas office. Eric is an experienced associate who routinely briefs and argues numerous substantive and procedural issues in state and federal court at both the trial and appellate level.
Eric devotes a significant portion of his practice to counseling news and entertainment clients, and has represented a variety of media entities in access, copyright, trademark, defamation, and other disputes. As companies conduct an ever-increasing part of their business online and via mobile app, a growing amount of Eric’s work relates to digital properties, social media and promotions. This includes adversarial proceedings such as UDRPs for domains, as well as drafting terms of service, EULAs, privacy policies, and official rules for sweepstakes, contests and charitable raffles.
Eric also assists clients when urgent, internal investigations are needed. In this area, Eric advises clients in their response to government investigations by both criminal and civil enforcement agencies.
When he is not helping clients, Eric unwinds in the outdoors. Prior to joining the firm, Eric interned at both the Railroad Commission of Texas and the Texas General Land Office, where he was honored to help promote responsible development of Texas’s natural resources while protecting Texas’s unique natural beauty.
B.A., with departmental honors, University of Kansas
J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law
- Staff Editor, Texas Environmental Law Journal
U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- Co-Author, “Student Snapchat Decision May Hint at SCOTUS Social Media Rulings,” Bloomberg Law (May 2021)
- “What a Copyright Registration Can Tell You about Your Next Infringement Case,” ABA Intellectual Property Litigation Section Practice Points, January 7, 2021
- Media Privacy and Related Law, Fifth Circuit Survey, Media Law Resource Center, 2018–19; 2019–2
- Texas Open Government Guide, Reporter’s Committee for Freedom of the Press, 2018
- Prying loose public records, Investigative Reporters & Editors, 2018 Dallas TV Watchdog Workshop
- Consequential Damages in Commercial Property Disputes, State Bar of Texas, 10th Annual Damages in Civil Litigation, 2018
- American Bar Association, Forum on Communications Law:
- Young Lawyer’s Committee, Newsletter Co-editor, 2018–19
- Tenth Annual First Amendment and Media Law Diversity Moot Court Competition, Court Clerk, 2019
- Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas, FOI Hotline volunteer attorney
- Faith Outreach Foundation, Member