Gerald Scott Webberman
Jerry Webberman has over 30 years of experience in a wide variety of real estate and financial matters, including the leasing and management of retail, office and industrial projects; the purchase and sale of undeveloped land, developed lots and improved income producing properties (multi-family, retail, office and mixed-use), development of both residential subdivisions and commercial projects, and the formation of business entities. He has also represented lenders and borrowers in real estate financing matters, including permanent and construction loans; the sale, purchase and financing of commercial mortgage loan portfolios, foreclosures, loan workouts and restructuring.
Jerry’s practice includes an emphasis on energy project development and finance, and he has represented energy developers, lenders, and investors in numerous projects, including over 20,000 MWs of wind and solar energy generation and over 6,500 MWs of natural gas-fired plants. He regularly represents clients in connection with project acquisition and finance due diligence; opinion letters; drafting and negotiation of agreements relating to site acquisition and control (e.g., wind leases, transmission easements, access easements, crossing agreements mineral accommodation agreements; subordination agreements, estoppels and consents); permitting issues, including endangered species and environmental matters; analysis and resolution of title and survey issues; tax abatement agreements; and related financing issues.
Jerry is also considered one of the foremost land conservation attorneys in Texas. With over 25 years of experience advising private landowners, land trusts and governmental entities on conservation issues, he has gained a deep understanding of and appreciation for the complex and sensitive issues involved in balancing land use, including development, with conservation and protection of natural resources. He is particularly experienced in structuring complex multi-party transactions and negotiating and drafting conservation easements, as well as handling open space, endangered species habitat, and sensitive water quality issues.
B.A., with high honors, University of Texas at Austin
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Representation of technology company in tax equity investment in 161 MW wind energy project in Texas Panhandle.
- Representation of electricity transmission company in connection with development issues and financing of an approximately 325 mile transmission line over 11 counties in Texas.
- Representation of lender in financing a portfolio of five natural gas–fired power generating facilities.
- Representation of project owner and operator in financing of two natural gas-fired power generating facilities.
- Representation of project owner and operator in the expansion and development of a 1000 MW natural gas-fired power generator facility and acquisition of ancillary transmission line corridor.
- Representation of a developer in connection with several proposed wind energy projects, covering a total of approximately 90,000 acres, and proposed facilities capable of generating more than 700 MW of wind energy.
- Representation of a large wind-energy developer in connection with the developing, funding and leasing of a 166 MW wind energy project in Shackelford County, Texas, involving leasehold estates covering approximately 20,000 acres. This representation included due diligence, leasing, interconnection and crossing agreements, legal opinions and other documents relating to financing, corporate structuring and related documentation.
- Representation of a wind-energy developer in connection with title and survey review, leasing, interconnection agreements and other real property agreements relating to development of a wind energy project in Floyd County, Texas, covering approximately 11,000 acres of land.
- Representation of a large generator of wind power in connection with multiple projects and related operations, including assisting with and advising on lease and option agreements; substation, transmission and access easements; air rights; shared use agreements; surface use agreements; sub-easements; and other related title and environmental issues.
- Represented a landowner in a multi-party bargain sale transaction involving the negotiation of a conservation easement protecting over 1,500 acres of open space and significant water recharge features, and the sale of an additional 1,500 acres in fee to a local governmental entity for $30 million.
- Represented a land trust in the purchase and negotiation of a phased conservation easement transaction, involving easements encumbering approximately 2,300 acres and 1,300 acres, respectively, utilizing federal funding awarded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service through a section 6 HCP grant.
- Represented a local government agency and national land trust in its acquisition of over 15,000 acres of fee interests and 10 conservation easements at a cost of over $65 million.
- Represented a national land trust in the donation of a conservation easement of over 4,600 acres, protecting open space and endangered species.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Real Estate Law, 2013-2021
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2014-2019
- Recognized Practitioner in Environment – Texas
- Who’s Who in Energy, Austin Business Journal, 2013
“Overview of the Endangered Species Act,” for Austin Board of Realtors Seminar for Commercial Real Estate Practitioners
“Conservation Easements – Current Legal Issues” for Eminent Domain Seminar for Right of Way and Acquisition
“Conservation Easements – Legal Update” for the Texas Cattle Raisers Association
- The Nature Conservancy, Austin Advisory Board
- Real Estate Council of Austin
- Real Estate Council of Austin, Past Director
- Affordable Housing Task Force of the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce
- Advisory Board of the Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve, Inc.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Travis County Bar Association – Real Estate and Corporate Sections
- College of the State of Texas
- DJCC Development Corporation
- Dell Jewish Community Campus Management Committee
- Congregation Agudas Achim, Past Director, Treasurer
- Jewish Federation Early Childhood Program, Past Treasurer
- Jewish Community Association of Austin
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee
- Finance Committee, Past Chair