Graham McCall is a partner in Jackson Walker’s fund formation and investment management group. His practice focuses on advising alternative asset managers, ranging in size from startups to established institutional sponsors, regarding the formation, offering and ongoing operations of a wide variety of open-ended, closed-ended and hybrid private fund vehicles, as well as separately managed accounts and joint venture arrangements. Graham’s clients include registered investment advisers, exempt reporting advisers, independent sponsors and CPO/CTAs whose investment strategies span multiple asset classes including hedge, private equity, credit, commodities, real estate, energy, digital asset, venture capital and fund-of-funds.
Graham also has experience representing family offices, pension plans, endowments and sovereign wealth funds in performing diligence and negotiating terms for investments in commingled, co-investment and secondary private fund vehicles. Graham’s transactional funds practice is complimented by his experience working for a federal financial regulator which enables him to help clients navigate complex legal and compliance issues arising under SEC, CFTC and NFA rules and regulations.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Graham served as counsel in the investment funds practice at a large global law firm. He also previously served as Vice President and Assistant General Counsel for the asset management division of a global financial services company, where he advised trading desks and portfolio managers on regulatory and documentation issues affecting derivatives. Graham began his legal career at the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission where he worked on various Dodd-Frank rulemakings impacting the trading and market structure of derivatives.
B.B.A., with honors, University of Texas at Austin (2007)
J.D., magna cum laude, American University Washington College of Law (2011)
- Articles Editor, American University Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Represented a credit fund manager in closing a series of funds across multiple strategies totaling more than $3 billion in commitments.
- Represented a middle market private equity manager in closing more than $700 million in commitments across comingled funds and related co-investment vehicles.
- Represented a structured credit manager in closing a series of funds across multiple asset-backed strategies totaling more than $1.5 billion in commitments.
- Represented a venture capital manager in closing more than $650 million in commitments from over 150 investors in a digital asset-focused hedge fund.
- Represented a leading global asset manager in the launch of a multi-strategy, multi-manager hedge fund with $400 million in subscriptions.
- Advised a leading UK quantitative hedge fund manager regarding compliance with various SEC, CFTC and NFA rules and regulations.
- Drafted a first-of-its-kind master cryptocurrency lending agreement.
- Represented a litigation finance manager in closing a $100 million separate account relationship with a university endowment.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Corporate Law, 2024
- Co-Author, “SEC Adopts Sweeping New Private Fund Adviser Rules,” Jackson Walker Insights (September 2023)
- Author, “SEC Staff Confirms: “Net” Performance Required to Be Shown for Case Studies in Investment Adviser Marketing Materials,” Jackson Walker Insights (January 2023)
- Capital For Kids, CONNECT Board Member
- Dallas Business Council for the Arts, Leadership Arts Institute Class of 2024
- Lambda Legal, Liberty Circle Member
December 4, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s December 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
September 1, 2023Insights
By Michael L. Laussade and Graham McCall
On August 23, 2023, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”), by a party-line vote of 3-2, adopted new rules applicable to investment advisers to private funds (“Private Fund Advisers”) that address transparency, conflicts of interest and governance mechanisms (“PFA Rules”).
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
April 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
January 23, 2023Insights
SEC Staff Confirms: “Net” Performance Required to Be Shown for Case Studies in Investment Adviser Marketing Materials
Even as the November 4, 2022, deadline has come and gone for registered investment advisers to comply with the SEC’s new Marketing Rule, private fund sponsors have continued to grapple with implementing one of the rule’s more consequential requirements.
By W. Graham McCall
January 13, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker welcomes Lisa Peterson and Graham McCall to the Fort Worth and Dallas practices, respectively. Joining the Corporate & Securities practice, Lisa and Graham serve the transactional and regulatory needs of private equity, alternative investment management, family office, institutional investor, and other corporate clients.