James S. Ryan
James “Jim” S. Ryan, III is an experienced transactional lawyer specializing in mergers & acquisitions and private equity transactions. His practice regularly helps clients with matters that include business acquisitions and divestitures, capital formation and investments, and joint venture transactions. He has significant experience handling transactions for clients engaged in healthcare services as well as representing clients in the oil & gas, manufacturing, distribution, telecommunications and business services industries.
Jim works with clients from the earliest stages of their development through significant liquidity events. This allows him to bring a broad-based perspective to the matters he handles. His clients have ranged from newly formed entities, funded by seed capital or venture capital, to public companies with market capitalization in the billions of dollars.
B.B.A., University of Notre Dame
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
- Represented Dallas-based telemedicine company through seven rounds of venture capital financing and in connection with multiple acquisitions
- Represented a physician staffing company in a sale to publicly held strategic buyer
- Represented a developer and operator of physician-owned surgical hospitals in developing ownership structures and raising capital
- Represented a publicly held physician practice management and surgery center business in connection with the simultaneous acquisition of two businesses in the same field — one privately held and one publicly held
- Led a team of lawyers representing a Dallas-based investment firm in raising capital and making investments in oil and gas assets
- Represented a publicly held retail services business in sale to its largest customer, also a publicly held business
- Represented both purchasers and sellers of long-term care facilities, home health agencies and hospice agencies
- Coordinated a sale in bankruptcy by a publicly held healthcare services business — including interests in over 20 surgery centers jointly owned by our client and physician groups — to a publicly held surgery center company
- Negotiated the sale of a baked goods business based in Texas to a Colombian conglomerate
- 2017 Dealmaker, Dallas Business Journal
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2013
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas,” D Magazine
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2008-2023
- Corporate Law, 2008-2023
- Health Care Law, 2020-2023
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2009-2023
- The Catholic Foundation, Board of Trustees – Former Member
- Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Society, Inc.
- General Counsel
- Board of Directors, Chairman
- Ursuline Academy of Dallas Foundation
- Former Member, Board of Directors
- Past Chairman
- Diocese of Dallas – Strategic Planning Committee for Diocesan Schools, Executive Committee Member
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
August 14, 2019Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 109 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2020 Edition, With Eight Named “Lawyers of the Year”
Jackson Walker congratulates our 109 attorneys named to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Lawyers in America 2020 list, including eight attorneys who were named “Lawyers of the Year.”
October 8, 2018Client Results
As a result of the transaction, Summit has become the 100 percent working interest owner and operator of the assets, which span approximately 624 acres in Karnes County, Texas.
August 16, 2018Attorney News
Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas. For over three decades, recognition in Best Lawyers has been regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor, since an attorney cannot pay to be listed.
August 15, 2017Attorney News
The Best Lawyers in America, a widely regarded guide to legal excellence, has recognized 94 Jackson Walker attorneys in its 2018 edition. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 3, 2017Attorney News
Jackson Walker partner Jim Ryan has been named to Dallas Business Journal’s 2017 Dealmakers list.
August 17, 2016Attorney News
Since it was first published in 1983, Best Lawyers has become widely regarded as the definitive guide to legal excellence.
August 14, 2015Attorney News
Eighty-one Jackson Walker attorneys were selected for inclusion in the 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America.