Jennifer F. Wertz
Jennifer F. Wertz is an attorney in the bankruptcy section at Jackson Walker, where she represents financial institutions, equipment lenders, healthcare service providers, agricultural lenders, and other creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, including pursuing claims, negotiating treatment of claims by the debtor, and successfully preventing confirmation of a bankruptcy plan.
In addition to her experience representing creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, Jennifer also represents entities in complex corporate reorganization and fiduciary litigation, with a focus on workouts and reorganization. Jennifer has extensive experience in telecommunication-related bankruptcy matters, where she recently successfully represented a Liquidating Trustee in over 100 adversary proceedings, including avoidance and collection actions, resulting in meaningful recoveries for the estate. Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Jennifer served as a law clerk to the Honorable H. Christopher Mott, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Texas.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., magna cum laude, Texas Tech University School of Law
- Texas Tech Law Review, Articles Editor
- Board of Barristers, Associate Member
- Civil Practice Clinic, Student Attorney
- Judicial Intern to Judge Bohm, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Jennifer has particular experience in complex Chapter 11 reorganizations, including in the telecommunications and healthcare industries, and has represented both debtors and trustees.
- Representation of an oil and gas company in bankruptcy proceedings appealed to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, resulting in the affirmed dismissal of a post-confirmation attempt by the State of Oklahoma to obtain the right to nearly $1,000,000 in unclaimed royalty payments.
- Represented nonprofit children’s hospital in litigious Chapter 11 proceedings, resulting in confirmation of a plan within approximately seven months of a Chapter 11 filing, featuring payment in full of general unsecured creditors.
- Represented telecommunications client in federal court against allegations of trespass, conversion, and tortious interference. Following discovery and pretrial pleadings, obtained a favorable settlement on all counts.
- Represented multiple trade creditors in bankruptcy of an oil and gas operator in numerous preference actions attempting to claw back over $1 million. Following discovery, obtained a favorable settlement.
- Represented a media company and related defendants in an adversary proceeding before the Bankruptcy Court against allegations of fraud and breach of contract. Drafted a motion for summary judgment resulting in dismissal of all claims against all clients at the onset of litigation.
- Represented a title company in an adversary proceeding before the Bankruptcy Court against allegations of fraud, deceptive trade, and other counts. Drafted a motion to dismiss resulting in dismissal of all claims against the client with prejudice prior to discovery being conducted.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2024
- Texas Rising Star – Bankruptcy: Business, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2020-2021
- “Austin’s Top Attorneys” List – Bankruptcy and Workout, Austin Monthly, 2021-2023
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 2020
- Board Certified in Business Bankruptcy Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2020
- “Major Decision in Energy-Related Bankruptcies: Colorado Court in Monarch Midstream Case Departs from Sabine Oil and Finds Gathering Agreement Established a Covenant Running with the Land,” Jackson Walker Bankruptcy e-Alert (October 2019)
- “Considerations and Consequences of a Bankruptcy Filing in the Oil and Gas Industry,” Jackson Walker Energy e-Alert (May 2015)
- “To Caesar, Only What Is Due – An Opportunity under § 505(a)(2)(C) for Ad Valorem Taxes?,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal (September 2014)
- “Chapter 15 Bankruptcy Issues, Venue, and Jurisdiction,” Jackson Walker Fast Takes Podcast (July 15, 2020)
- “What Creditors Should Consider Before Businesses Restructure or File for Bankruptcy,” Jackson Walker Fast Takes Podcast (June 4, 2020)
- Bankruptcy & Litigation, Select Issues, Austin Bar Association-Bankruptcy Section (April 7, 2017)
- Texas Bankruptcy Laws and Obligations Webinar, Lorman (2017)
- Texas Women Lawyers, Board Member
- Austin Bar Association – Bankruptcy Section
- President, 2019
- Council Member, 2018
- Larry E. Kelly Inn of Court
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Travis County
- American Bankruptcy Institute
August 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
August 4, 2023Mentions
The American Lawyer: Jackson Walker is Nation’s Top Local Counsel in Large Bankruptcies, as Bankruptcy and Restructuring Filings Rebound
The American Lawyer cited new research which named Jackson Walker’s Bankruptcy, Restructuring, & Recovery group as the top local debtor’s counsel in the nation so far this year.
July 17, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 12 attorneys recognized among Austin Monthly’s list of “Austin’s Top Attorneys” for 2023. For recognition in the list, Austin attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer experienced counsel in one of 39 categories.
March 29, 2023Spotlight
After spending four years as a bilingual kindergarten teacher, Jennifer Wertz intended to practice immigration law, an area in which she saw a need while teaching. But her unexpected love for learning contracts during her first year of law school coupled with the bankruptcy filing of Lehman Brothers in her first month of law school refocused her attention to an area she had never considered: bankruptcy and restructuring.
January 27, 2023Client Results
Jackson Walker is partnering with lead counsel Kirkland & Ellis to represent Nautical Solutions, L.L.C. and its debtor affiliate in their Chapter 11 reorganization. On January 8, 2023, Nautical Solutions and its Texas affiliate filed prepackaged Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases in the Southern District of Texas – Houston Division, with estimated assets totaling $500 million to $1 billion.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 25, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 14 attorneys recognized among Austin Monthly’s list of “Austin’s Top Attorneys” for 2022. For recognition in the list, Austin attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer experienced counsel in one of 38 categories.
October 5, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s October 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 3, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 20 attorneys recognized among “Austin’s Top Attorneys” for 2021. For recognition in the list, Austin attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer experienced counsel in one of 43 categories.