Jessica B. Palvino
Jessica Palvino advises plan sponsors, plan administrators, and tax-exempt entities on the ever-changing world of employee benefits, executive compensation, and tax obligations. As a former Legal and Compliance COO for the largest public retirement system in Texas, Jessica understands the operational challenges related to plan sponsorship and administration, and is well-versed in handling regulatory compliance issues and corrections to plan administration errors.
Plan sponsors and administrators rely on Jessica for assistance in ensuring compliance with the Internal Revenue Code, ERISA, Affordable Care Act, COBRA, HIPAA, and related regulatory notices. She also advises on the various tax issues related to benefit plans, including penalties under the employer mandate, annual 1099-R and 1042-S tax reporting obligations, rollovers, required minimum distributions, defined benefit limit testing, and withholding and reporting obligations for nonresident aliens.
Jessica has represented clients in defending benefit appeals, including before the State Office of Administrative Hearings. She has tried multiple cases to jury verdict and administrative hearings to final Proposals For Decision for both plaintiffs and defendants. She has also successfully litigated products cases in state and federal courts in California, District of Columbia, Iowa, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, Vermont, and Virginia.
B.A., Texas A&M University
J.D., cum laude, Baylor Law School
L.L.M., Taxation – Executive Program, New York University School of Law
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2014-2016
- Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, Austin Bar Foundation and Austin Bar Association, 2015
- Litigation Department of the Year – Products Liability, Texas Lawyer, 2015
- Served on the Helton v. Allergan team that won “Verdict of the Year” in the State of Oklahoma, 2010
- State Bar of Texas – Tax Section, Vice-Chair of the Employee Benefits Committee
- Sobering Center, Director and Chair of the Governance Committee
- Thinkery, Past Director and Past Chair, 2013-2018
- City of Austin Charter Review Commission, Chair, 2018