Joel R. Glover
Joel Glover is an advocate for clients throughout the United States, working extensively in the areas of financial services, energy and natural resources, media, intellectual property, and entertainment. Joel represents clients in state and federal courts, before administrative agencies, and long before disputes arise.
Joel’s focus is the team’s best asset: identify and pursue the client’s ultimate objective, not some circuitous route to resolution. With this in mind, Joel is able to tell the client’s story with a confident and tenacious trial-ready approach from day one. This puts the team in the best position to effectively and efficiently resolve a dispute in the courtroom, at the bargaining table, or before litigation has begun.
From West Texas, Joel spent several years as an Army officer at Fort Wainwright, Alaska and served two combat tours in Iraq before becoming a lawyer. Lessons learned from these experiences—leadership, teamwork, integrity, decision-making, preparedness, and adaptability—serve him well as an advocate and as a member of the client’s team. And stints as a staff officer for units with several hundred members taught Joel the pitfalls and sensitivities of navigating large organizations where the only acceptable outcome is shared success done the right way.
B.S., United States Military Academy West Point
J.D., South Texas College of Law Houston
- South Texas Law Review
- National Order of Barristers
Supreme Court of the United States
United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Fifth Circuits
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
United States District Court for the District of Colorado
Joel’s experience includes representing clients in:
- High-stakes commercial litigation
- Trademark infringement litigation
- Individual and corporate fiduciary litigation
- Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA) litigation
- Civil rights litigation
Joel also routinely assists media clients with:
- Defending defamation and related claims
- Protecting First Amendment rights under Anti-SLAPP statutes (including the TCPA – Texas Citizens Participation Act)
- Responding to requests for retraction or correction of published works
- Won a jury trial in Jefferson County District Court defending a national bank from breach of contract and Texas DTPA claims
- Obtained dismissal of consolidated suit brought by former subjects of a reality show. All claims were dismissed by the Texas Thirteenth Court of Appeals pursuant to the Texas Citizen’s Participation Act (TCPA) and the client’s established affirmative defenses.
- Won summary judgment in a civil rights matter pending in the Southern District of Texas for a major sports and entertainment venue in Houston
- Favorably resolved a case for a retired professional athlete facing a defamation claim in the Eastern District of New York
- Won a jury trial in Harris County District Court for an automobile dealer’s claim for breach of settlement agreement
- Successfully obtained appellate dismissal in the California Second District Court of Appeal in a case brought against a television personality and production studios by a past guest who claimed she had been made to look foolish and, as a result, suffered extreme emotional distress
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2018-2023
- Named to “Up-and-Coming 100: Texas Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2021-2023
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America, 2022
- “Top Lawyers of Houston,” H Texas Magazine, 2020
- Author, “Truth Remains a Strong Ground for Summary Judgment in Texas,” Jackson Walker Insights (July 2022)
- Co-author, “Proposed Bill Seeks to Limit the Audacity of Opacity on the Internet,” Jackson Walker Insights (November 2021)
- Author, “Texas Outlaws TV Crews at the Intersection of Free Speech and Public Policy,” Jackson Walker Insights (June 2021)
- Author, “Gratitude for Lessons from Service,” The Texas Lawbook (November 2020)
- Author, “Coordinating What Can’t Be Unseen: Forming a Thorough Online Strategy,” Jackson Walker Insights (September 2019)
- Author, “The Newsworthy Newsperson,” Jackson Walker Insights (December 2018)
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Communications Law
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section – Media, Privacy and Advertising Law Committee, Vice-Chair
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Alley Theatre
- Advisory Board
- Federal Bar Association – Southern District of Texas Chapter, Member
- West Point Admissions – Houston Field Force
- West Point Society of Greater Houston
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
March 23, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2023 Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 63 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2023 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
March 23, 2023Attorney News
Eight Jackson Walker Attorneys Named Up-and-Coming Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker congratulates Chris Bankler, Amanda Crouch, Joshua Flores, Noah Galton, Joel Glover, Reagan Marble, and Zach Zurek on their selection to the “Up-and-Coming 100: 2023 Texas Rising Stars” list. In addition, Amanda and Veronica Polnick were named to the “Up-and-Coming 50: 2023 Women Texas Rising Stars” list.
October 7, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 36 Attorneys Named Among the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 36 attorneys to Lawdragon’s inaugural list of the 500 leading litigators in America.
October 4, 2022Newsletters
JW Media | VIA ePostcard – October 2022
View the October 2022 edition of the JW Media | VIA ePostcard.
August 25, 2022Client Results
California Appellate Court Grants Anti-SLAPP Motion to Dismiss Case Brought by Guest on ‘Dr. Phil’
Chip Babcock, Nancy Hamilton, and Joel Glover obtained dismissal of a case brought against Dr. Phil McGraw, Peteski Productions, Inc., and CBS Media Ventures by a former guest of Dr. Phil.
July 7, 2022Newsletters
JW Media | VIA ePostcard – July 2022
View the July 2022 edition of the JW Media | VIA ePostcard.
July 7, 2022Insights
Truth Remains a Strong Ground for Summary Judgment in Texas
By Joel Glover
A Texas court reaffirmed last month that truth is still a defense to a defamation claim against a newspaper regarding a matter of public concern. In Gallaher v. Denton Media Company, the Fort Worth Court of Appeals reinforced the statutory protections afforded to journalists against such claims and explained the contours of the defense. Gallaher is significant because it shows the defense’s strength even in the face of conflicting accounts about the accuracy of sources considered prior to publication.
April 25, 2022Client Results
Jackson Walker Obtains Dismissal of Lawsuits Brought Against Production Company of ‘My 600-Lb Life’
Chip Babcock and Joel Glover successfully represented Megalomedia Inc., the production company behind TLC’s “My 600-lb Life,” in a case brought by a group of past subjects of the reality show.
April 4, 2022Newsletters
JW Media | VIA ePostcard – April 2022
View the April 2022 edition of the JW Media | VIA ePostcard.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2022 Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.