Joel W. Heydenburk
Joel focuses his practice on real estate transactions and operational issues in connection with commercial real estate. Joel regularly represents landlords and tenants in the preparation and negotiation of commercial office, retail, and industrial property leases in Texas and other states across the nation. His experience consists of representing buyers and sellers in acquisitions and sales of commercial properties ranging from $1 million and exceeding $200 million. Joel also represents commercial debt holders and servicers in foreclosure proceedings in Texas. He regularly represents commercial real estate owners and managers in connection with telecommunications matters including telecommunication lease agreements, rooftop lease agreements, rooftop and cabling agreements, and cabling agreements.
B.B.A., Texas Christian University
M.B.A., Texas Tech University
J.D., cum laude, Texas Tech University School of Law
- Business Manager, Texas Tech Law Review
- Represented seller in the disposition of an approximately 400,000 square foot three-building office complex in the Preston Center area of Dallas, Texas.
- Represented an institutional landlord in connection with a complex 100,000+ square foot lease of the US headquarters of an international financial services company in downtown Dallas, Texas.
- Represented an institutional landlord in connection with a complex 238,000+ square foot lease to a Fortune 50 international financial services company in downtown Dallas, Texas.
- Represented the tenant in a complex 230,000+ square foot lease renewal of the corporate headquarters for a financial services company in downtown Fort Worth, Texas.
- Represented a large nonprofit hospital and health system in connection with multiple leasing and real estate development transactions throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.
- Represented the seller in the disposition of a 33 acre multi-building “to-the-trade” commercial development in Dallas, Texas; which was an award winning transaction
- Represented an institutional landlord in connection with a complex 250,000 square foot lease renewal of the corporate headquarters of a large hospital operator in Dallas, Texas; which was an award winning transaction
- Assisted in the representation of an industrial manufacturer in the sale of such business’ assets and related real estate transactions in connection therewith
- Assisted in the representation of a large commercial mortgage servicer in connection with various owned commercial real estate assets including a retail mall, retail pad sites, and retail strip centers at locations throughout Texas
- Assisted in the representation of commercial landlords and managers in connection with various telecommunications transactions
- Assisted in the representation of purchaser in the acquisition of a 20-story Class A office building in Atlanta, Georgia
- Assisted in the representation of seller in the sale of a multi-building office complex in Las Colinas/Irving, Texas
- Assisted in the representation of the owner of industrial warehouse facility in connection with various leasing transactions in Fort Worth, Texas
- Assisted in the representation of large landlord in connection with various lease transactions ranging from 1,000 square feet to 250,000 square feet at various office buildings throughout the southern United States
- Assisted in the representation of purchaser in the acquisition of a 20-story Class A office building in Fort Worth, Texas
- Assisted in the representation of seller in the sale of a large commercial farm portfolio located in multiple states throughout the western United States
- Assisted in the representation of banks and bond holders in connection with complex foreclosures throughout North Texas
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Real Estate Law, 2021-2022
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2020-2021
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2008-2018
- “Top Attorneys” List – Real Estate, Fort Worth Magazine, 2006-2020
- “Top Attorneys” List – Real Estate, 360 West, 2018, 2021
- “40 Under 40” List, Fort Worth Business Press, 2011
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Real Estate Council of Greater Fort Worth, Chairman, Founding/Sustaining Member, Board Member, Past Vice-Chair
- Tarrant County Bar Association – Real Estate Section
- Fort Worth-Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association, Past President
- Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court, Past Associate Member
- Leadership Fort Worth, Class of 2009-2010
- Ronald McDonald House of Fort Worth, Board of Trustees, 2017-2018 President, 2019-2020 Past-President
- Junior Achievement of Chisholm Trail, Inc., Volunteer Teacher
- The Texas Lyceum, 2018 Director
- BNSF Next Generation Leadership Program at Texas Christian University’s Neeley School of Business, Business Coach
- Fort Worth Independent School District’s 2010 Census and Nine Single-Member Districts Redistricting Committee
July 1, 2022Attorney News
Joel Heydenburk Follows in Susan Halsey’s Footsteps to Lead Real Estate Council of Greater Fort Worth
Joel Heydenburk has assumed the position of board chairman of the Real Estate Council of Greater Fort Worth (REC of GFW), effective June 25, 2022.
November 19, 2021Client Results
A Jackson Walker team led by recent Fort Worth additions Evan Malloy, Kayla Matus, and Taylor Cummins represented Freedom Powersports in the sale of its business to Dallas-based RumbleON, Inc., the largest U.S. retailer of powersports vehicles. The transaction was announced on November 9, 2021, and is expected to close in late 2021 or the first quarter of 2022.
September 22, 2021Attorney News
Each year, less than 5% of attorneys in Texas are named to the list. Selection is based off of peer nominations that are then reviewed by a research team. Each nominee is evaluated on his or her professional accomplishments, peer recognition, and community involvement.
August 25, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates the Fort Worth Attorneys Named to the “Top Attorneys 2021” List in ‘360 West Magazine’
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 15 Fort Worth-based attorneys to 360 West Magazine’s “Top Attorneys” list for 2021. To be selected for inclusion, attorneys with an active license and who practice within the Tarrant County area can nominate up to three attorneys in 44 specialty areas who reflect relevant practice areas in the region.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
November 25, 2020Attorney News
Jackson Walker proudly announces the selection of nine Fort Worth-based attorneys to Fort Worth Magazine’s “Top Attorneys” list for 2020. The full list will be released in the magazine’s December 2020 issue.
October 19, 2020Attorney News
Spanning five offices, 19 practice areas, and experience ranging from 12 to 52 years, Jackson Walker’s 2020 “Texas Super Lawyers” have been nominated by peers within and outside the Firm.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
July 2, 2018Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the twelve Fort Worth-based attorneys included in the “Top Attorneys” list by 360 West, a lifestyle magazine that provides readers who live in the Fort Worth, Southlake, and Arlington areas a full-circle view of where they live. The list was released in the magazine’s July 2018 edition.