John B. Holden
John Holden has been representing clients in the natural resources area for more than 45 years. He has advised clients with respect to all aspects of ownership, exploration, development, production, transportation, processing, sale, and marketing of oil and gas, wind and other natural resources and water. His experience includes the formation and financing of various types of entities, both public and private and the acquisition, development, and divestiture of hydrocarbons and related assets. He has negotiated and drafted surface use agreements and more recently worked on carbon capture and sequestration projects.
John typically serves as outside general counsel for his clients, both servicing and managing their legal needs. His personal involvement and commitment to each client and the relationship they develop is crucial in achieving the client’s goals. He is dedicated to keeping current on the law, resolving industry issues and identifying future trends.
John’s most significant international project was directing the energy aspects of the privatization of $750 million dollars of YPF assets, the national oil company of Argentina. The process required the analysis of the Constitutional issues, applicable laws, rules, decrees and regulations of that country and the creation of appropriate entities to accomplish the country’s objectives. He also assisted in the bid process.
John has significant experience in energy lending and debt and equity financing. He has represented both debtors and creditors in reorganization and bankruptcy.
A.B., Ohio University
J.D., George Washington University Law School
LL.M., SMU Dedman School of Law
District of Columbia
Oil, Gas, and Mineral Law
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2006-2024
- Lawyer of the Year – Dallas/Fort Worth, Energy Law, 2013
- Energy Law, 2006-2024
- Natural Resources Law, 2024
- Oil and Gas Law, 2011-2024
- Who’s Who in Energy, Dallas Business Journal, 2012-2014
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2007-2009
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas” List, D Magazine, 2013-2023
- AAPL Short Form Purchase & Sale Agreement Updates, HAPL 54th Annual Technical Workshop, April 2023
- The Joint Operating Agreement: Pitfalls, Nuances, & Opportunities, Society of Independent Professional Earth Scientists: SIPES, April 2017
- The AAPL Form 610-2015 Model Form Joint Operating Agreement, given to the Dutch Treat Wildcatters, February 2017
- What Lawyers Need to Know About the New AAPL 610 Joint Operating Agreement, Dallas Bar Association – Energy Law Section, February 2017
- The AAPL Form 610-2015 Model Form Joint Operating Agreement, Dallas Petroleum Engineers Club, December 2, 2016
- Oil and Gas Exploration in the United States, Oil & Gas Outlook Conference 2016, Lucca, Italy May 6, 2016
- How Do I Protect Myself from the Other Guy in Bankruptcy? The Texas Alliance of Energy Producers, April 2016
- Ethical Constraints in Negotiation, Oil & Gas Disputes Course. Texas Bar Association, Houston, TX, January 8, 2015
- The Ethics of Negotiation: Are There Any? 2015 Texas Tech School of Law Energy Law Symposium, Lubbock, TX, January 16, 2015
- Hydraulic Fracturing Land Lease Negotiations, Energy Company and Landowner Rights Webcast, March 25, 2014
- Hydraulic Fracturing Impact on Agricultural Operations, Albuquerque, NM, October 21, 2014
- State Bars of Texas
- District of Columbia Bar
- Dallas Bar Association – Corporation and Business Law Section
- Past Chairman – Energy Law Section
- Past Chairman – International Law Section
- State Bar of Texas
- Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Independent Petroleum Association of America
- Texas Independent Producers and Royalty Owners Association
- Texas Alliance of Energy Producers
- Baylor University Law School, Former Adjunct Professor of International Law
- Southern Methodist University – Cox School of Business, Associate Board Member
- Fossil Rim Wildlife Center, Inc.
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
April 25, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 24 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2023. For recognition in the list, Dallas attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 25, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 21 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2022. For recognition in the list, Dallas attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 28, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 23 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2021.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
June 9, 2020Podcasts
While known for his legal work in the oil and gas industry, Dallas partner John Holden’s passion for working with Fossil Rim Wildlife Center is another example of how we are putting that commitment into action.
April 24, 2020Attorney News
Twenty Jackson Walker attorneys were recognized in the “Best Lawyers in Dallas 2020” list by D Magazine, one of the premier publications in the city of Dallas. To be recognized in the list, attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
August 14, 2019Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 109 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2020 Edition, With Eight Named “Lawyers of the Year”
Jackson Walker congratulates our 109 attorneys named to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Lawyers in America 2020 list, including eight attorneys who were named “Lawyers of the Year.”
John is experienced in the preparation and negotiation of:
- Merger and acquisition agreements
- Joint exploration agreements
- Lease acquisition agreements
- Seismic option agreements
- Leases and term leases
- Operating agreements
- Pooling and unitization agreements
- Production sharing agreements
- Oil and gas sales contracts
- Storage and transportation agreements
- Processing agreements
- Pipeline construction and operating agreements
- Due diligence
- Surface use agreements