Jonathan M. Bull
Jonathan Bull is an environmental lawyer and compliance counselor in the Environmental & Legislative practice of Jackson Walker’s Dallas office. Jon counsels clients on regulatory matters and complex environmental litigation matters in both state and federal courts and in arbitration proceedings. He helps clients identify and mitigate environmental risks, navigate permitting processes, and defends clients in administrative enforcement actions. He also leverages his background as both a hydrogeologist and former enforcement attorney with the EPA to appropriately frame and manage environmental operational compliance and liability aspects of company and asset business transactions, including handling of legacy liability and compliance issues. Jon regularly works with land development and construction clients on policy, compliance and enforcement aspects of state and federal programs regulating stormwater discharges, wetlands and jurisdictional waters, dust emissions and protected species and resources.
Jon previously served the EPA for two years as associate regional counsel in the Hazardous Waste Enforcement Branch, where he prosecuted enforcement actions in administrative and judicial forums, working with the U.S. Department of Justice and the EPA’s Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. During his time with the EPA, Jon gained particular knowledge with enforcement of Clean Air Act Section 112(r), also known as the Chemical Accident Prevention Program, and hazardous waste matters under RCRA. Prior to law school, Jon worked as a hydrogeologist with a national engineering and consulting firm.
In his practice, Jon serves a broad range of regional and national clients across business sectors, including residential and commercial construction and development, commercial warehousing and distribution, manufacturing, refineries, foundries, and electro-plating facilities.
Jon uses his deep industry experience to conduct environmental due diligence in matters such as chemical accident prevention, transportation of hazardous materials, environmental provisions in transactional agreements, identification and allocation of environmental risk, and the use of environmental insurance. Jon’s environmental litigation and arbitration work has helped clients with environmental cost recovery actions under CERCLA, the Texas Solid Waste Disposal Act and other state cost recovery statutes, common law environmental claims, environmental-related contract and lease disputes, and insurance coverage.
B.S., Washington & Lee University
M.S., University of Massachusetts
J.D., SMU Dedman School of Law
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Jon offers a depth and breadth of experience and value to clients, such as:
- EPA’s Chemical Accident Prevention regulations, Risk Management Plans and General Duty Clause under section 112(r) of the Clean Air Act
- Environmental audits and management systems
- NPDES, stormwater, wetlands and dust-control permitting and compliance
- Environmental regulatory compliance related to inspections, inquiries, and enforcement actions in all environmental media
- Solid and hazardous waste compliance requirements
- Clean Air Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, FIFRA, RCRA and related state and federal programs
- Environmental registrations, permits and regulatory approvals
- Environmental site investigations and response actions
- Transportation of oil and hazardous materials
- Land preservation counseling – negotiation and enforcement of land conservation agreements and easements
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Environmental Law, 2019-2024
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas,” D Magazine, 2020-2021
- EPA Region 6 Bronze Metal, 2012
- Panelist, “Enterprise and Ethical Considerations: Making a Career (or a Career Change) in Environmental Law,” Dallas Bar Association Environmental Law Section (November 2022)
- Co-Author, “Key Permit Used in Keystone XL Pipeline Put On Hold – Potential Far-Reaching Impacts on Other Projects,” Jackson Walker Insights (May 2020)
- State Bar of Texas Environment and Natural Resources Section, Member
- Section Liaison, SMU Dedman School of Law
- Executive Committee, 2015-2018
- Dallas Bar Association, Environmental Law Section, Member
- Executive Committee Chair, 2011-2012
- Preservation Dallas
- Treasurer, 2014-2017
- Board of Directors, 2010-2017
- T. Boone Pickens YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas
- Board of Management, Member, 2009-Present
- Partners Campaign Committee. Member, Former Co-Chair
- North Texas Conservation Land Trust, pro bono counseling, 2008-2010, 2016-Present
- Friends of Lakewood, Member, 2000-2009
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
May 26, 2023Insights
On May 25, the U.S. Supreme Court (the Court) issued its decision in Sackett v. EPA which substantially narrows the reach of Section 301(a) of the Clean Water Act (CWA), a provision that prohibits certain discharges of pollutants to navigable waters without a CWA permit. Determining the scope of the CWA’s definition of navigable waters, and in turn the propriety of the regulatory definitions established by EPA and the Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE) to define waters of the United States, is at the heart of this litigation.
By Jonathan Bull
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 28, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 23 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2021.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
May 1, 2020Insights
Key Permit Used in Keystone XL Pipeline Put On Hold – Potential Far-Reaching Impacts on Other Projects
On April 15, 2020, the U.S. District Court for the District of Montana vacated a key general permit pipeline and utility project that owners have used for decades to address Clean Water Act requirements, including the Keystone XL oil pipeline.
April 24, 2020Attorney News
Twenty Jackson Walker attorneys were recognized in the “Best Lawyers in Dallas 2020” list by D Magazine, one of the premier publications in the city of Dallas. To be recognized in the list, attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
January 9, 2020Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Oilfield Water Logistics in Acquiring Portfolio of Operating Assets in New Mexico
Jackson Walker represented Oilfield Water Logistics in acquiring a portfolio of operating assets in New Mexico from a major Permian Basin oil producer, including 23 saltwater disposal wells and 300 miles of water gathering pipelines.
August 14, 2019Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 109 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2020 Edition, With Eight Named “Lawyers of the Year”
Jackson Walker congratulates our 109 attorneys named to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Lawyers in America 2020 list, including eight attorneys who were named “Lawyers of the Year.”