Joshua R. Flores
Josh Flores is an attorney in the Trial & Appellate Litigation section of Jackson Walker’s Houston office focused on fiduciary litigation and general business litigation. He primarily counsels clients on various fiduciary matters, including will contests, will and trust interpretation issues, probate and trust administration, and guardianship proceedings. Josh also handles business and fiduciary disputes between partners, company members, and shareholders, as well as other civil litigation matters.
B.A., Texas A&M University
J.D., South Texas College of Law Houston
- CALI Award for Probate: Post Death Property Clinic
- Dean’s List
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Obtained a unanimous jury verdict involving a multi-million dollar claim for breach of contract in the 334th District Court of Harris County. After prevailing on the most substantial claims via summary judgment, the remaining issues were tried to a jury that found the opposing party breached the contract at issue and awarded Josh’s client all of attorneys’ fees, costs, and expenses in a case spanning more than four years.
- Prosecuted a client’s case in the Probate Court of Galveston County that challenged the enforceability of a Marital Property Agreement obtained by the decedent’s spouse to convert approximately $50 million of separate property into community property. In a unanimous verdict, the jury found the Marital Property Agreement was unenforceable, and punitive damages were awarded against the decedent’s spouse.
- Served as counsel for the executor of one of the largest estates in Texas history. Successfully defended multiple claims brought by the sole beneficiary of the estate against the executor for breach of fiduciary duty and negligence, which resulted in a settlement of all claims.
- Represented the general partner of a limited partnership at trial in the 319th District Court of Nueces County. The limited partner brought claims for breach of fiduciary duty and breach the Partnership Agreement and alleged the general partner improperly leased a multimillion-dollar ranch (the Partnership’s largest asset), diverted monies from the Partnership, and engaged in self-interested actions. The trial court awarded a summary judgment wholly in favor of the general partner.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for a minority owner of a limited liability company in a complex matter where all members of the company asserted claims of breach of fiduciary duty against each other.
- Represented a former employee of a national healthcare provider for breach of contract claims relating to an employment agreement. The defendant settled for approximately $300,000, without the former employee filing a lawsuit.
- Successfully defended an amendment to a will in the 155th District Court of Fayette County. The jury returned a verdict wholly in favor of the defendant and ordered that the plaintiff take nothing. This included a finding that the plaintiff did not bring her suit with good faith and just cause, which precluded her from recovering attorneys’ fees from the estate.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.), 2021-2023
- Litigation – Trusts and Estates
- Commercial Litigation
- Elder Law
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 2022
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2017-2023
- Named to “Up-and-Coming 100: Texas Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2022-2023
- “Top Lawyers in Houston” List, H Texas Magazine, 2016-2019
- “Top Lawyers in Houston” List, Houstonia Magazine, 2016, 2019
- Co-Author/Speaker, “Guardianships: Pre-Trial Toolbox,” State Bar of Texas 31st Annual Advanced Estate Planning & Probate Drafting (2020)
- Author/Speaker, “Declaratory Relief for Executors and Trustees,” State Bar of Texas 44th Annual Advanced Estate Planning & Probate Course (2020)
- Speaker, “A Quick Exit: Anti-SLAPP & 91a,” State Bar of Texas 43rd Annual Advanced Estate Planning & Probate Course (2019)
- Author/Speaker, “Fiduciary Litigation: Considerations to Avoid Common Missteps,” National Business Instituted: The Probate Process in Texas (2019)
- Co-Author, “Options for Seeking Interim Relief in Trust and Estate Litigation,” State Bar of Texas 42nd Annual Advanced Estate Planning and Probate Law Course (2018)
- Speaker, “The Dos, Don’ts and If I Only Knew Then,” Houston Bar Association New Licensee Institute (2015)
- American Bar Association
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Mexican-American Bar Association of Houston
- Mexican-American Bar Association of Texas
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
March 23, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2023 Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 63 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2023 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
March 23, 2023Attorney News
Eight Jackson Walker Attorneys Named Up-and-Coming Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker congratulates Chris Bankler, Amanda Crouch, Joshua Flores, Noah Galton, Joel Glover, Reagan Marble, and Zach Zurek on their selection to the “Up-and-Coming 100: 2023 Texas Rising Stars” list. In addition, Amanda and Veronica Polnick were named to the “Up-and-Coming 50: 2023 Women Texas Rising Stars” list.
December 6, 2022Attorney News
Texas Bar Foundation Elects Joshua Flores to Fellowship
Jackson Walker is pleased to congratulate Joshua Flores on his election as a fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation. Fellows are chosen for their outstanding professional achievements and demonstrated commitment to improving the Texas justice system.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – April 2022
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2022 Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Seven Jackson Walker Litigators Named to “Up-and-Coming 100: 2022 Texas Rising Stars” List
Jackson Walker proudly announces the selection of Chris Bankler, Amanda Crouch, Josh Flores, Noah Galton, Joel Glover, Reagan Marble, and David Schlottman to the “Up-and-Coming 100: 2022 Texas Rising Stars” list, with Amanda recognized among the list of the top 50 highest-rated women.
January 10, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Welcomes Wealth Planning and Fiduciary Litigation Group to Houston
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the arrival of five Houston litigators focused on probate, trust, and fiduciary litigation. The team is led by Sarah Patel Pacheco and includes Kathleen Tanner Beduze, Joshua R. Flores, Joe R. Savoie, and Jocelyn Thibodaux Slater.