Julia W. Mann
As an experienced litigator, Julia Mann helps clients solve their problems in crisis situations. Whether it is a dispute with a customer, a supplier, an employee, or even their own business partner, Julia utilizes her knowledge of the client’s industry combined with the avenues for dispute resolution to reach an outcome consistent with the client’s business goals.
It is Julia’s investment in the relationship that keeps clients returning when disputes arise. Her practice encompasses contractual disputes, professional liability claims, actions to protect companies’ proprietary information, and business torts such as fraud, negligent misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, and tortious interference. Representing clients on both sides of the docket, Julia has appeared in matters in 40 counties across the states of Texas and Oklahoma.
A significant portion of Julia’s practice focuses on the oil and gas industry. Such experience includes representation of mineral interest owners in suits for lease termination, recovery of royalties, and establishment of title. Julia has represented oil and gas operators in disputes involving joint business partners, service providers, and working interest owners. Her experience includes cases unique to South Texas, such as defending an independent petroleum engineering company in litigation regarding ownership of a mineral estate involving a land grant made by the Government of Spain in 1767. As the value of mineral interest holdings have continued to rise and begin their transition to the next generation, Julia has developed particular experience in the area of fiduciary litigation. She handles claims by and against trustees, estate administrators, beneficiaries, and closely-held family businesses in all areas related to trusts, estates, and probate matters.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., magna cum laude, St. Mary’s University School of Law
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
United States District Court for the District of Colorado
The depth and breadth of Julia’s practice includes leading Texas industries such as energy, agriculture, technology, insurance, and financial institutions:
- Represented non-operating working interest owner in litigation against operator to recover damages caused by conducting operations in excess of those approved by the authority for expenditures.
- Represented corporate trustees and landowner in litigation to establish title by adverse possession to acreage leased by court-appointed receiver.
- Represented oil and gas company in dissolution of partnership with co-venturers and settlement of claims.
- Represented oil and gas operator in disputes with joint venture partners over construction of drilling rig.
- Defended an independent oil and gas exploration and development company in a breach of contract action centered on an oil and gas prospect.
- Jury verdict for executor and beneficiary defeating claims of lack of capacity and undue influence.
- Represented beneficiary in contest involving the interpretation of a will, particularly as related to the treatment of a surface estate and mineral estate.
- Represented a second-generation beneficiary of a trust in challenge to trustee’s capacity, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented trustee in title to mineral interest.
A highly regulated industry from not only the inputs such as seeds and chemicals, but also the resulting perishable commodity, agriculture clients encounter a wide range of legal issues. Julia’s experience includes disputes related to the sale and application of products, credit agreements for financing of purchase and production from crops, and drift claims. Julia’s environmental agriculture experience includes private party enforcement actions, toxic tort claims, professional negligence, personal injury, and property damage claims.
Julia has represented both companies and individuals in a wide variety of matters related to breach of contract and debt collection claims, including: collecting accounts, promissory notes, and guarantees through default judgment, summary judgment, and bench trials before both state court and bankruptcy court through adversary proceedings. Such representation has included defending fraudulent transfer, wrongful foreclosure, usury, and liability claims.
- In re Estate of Kenneth Andrews, No. 04-20-00058-CV (Tex. App. 2020; Tex. Sup. Ct. 2021, pet. denied) – obtained jury verdict upholding last will and testament and defeating claims of undue influence.
- Brad Aery, Lloyd House, et al. v. C. Clifton Hoskins, et al., No. 04-14-00807-CV, 493 SW3d 684 (Tex. App. 2016; Tex. Sup. Ct. 2017, pet. denied) – upheld summary judgment in favor of client on deed interpretation issue related to proper allocation of royalties.
- In re Helena Chemical Co., No. 13-09-00040-CV, 286 S.W.3d 492 (Tex.App. 2009) – successful petition for writ of mandamus as related to trial court denial of motion to strike plea in intervention in toxic tort action.
- In re SI Restructuring, Inc., 532 F.3d 355 (5th Cir. 2008) and In re SI Restructuring, Inc., 542 F.3d 131 (5th Cir. 2008) – successfully overturning order of bankruptcy court subordinating debts of Schlotzsky’s Inc. to officers, directors and largest shareholders of the company prior to bankruptcy including disgorgement of attorney’s fees to provide fund for client’s secured claims.
- In re Kenwood Communications Corporation, No. 04-02-00377-CV (Tex.App. 2003) – successfully compiled enforcement of arbitration agreement.
- Elias Diaz Vega v. Advance Auto Parts, Inc. et al., No. SA-03-CA-D558-FB (W.D. Tex. 2005) – summary judgment in favor of employer client in wrongful termination case brought by 30+ year employee who claimed age and natural origin discrimination.
- In re Reliant Surgical, L.P., No. 04-06-00065-CV (Tex.App.—4th Dist. 2006, pet. denied) – upholding order of trial court granting motion to compel arbitration of claims.
In 2018-2019, Julia served as the President of the William S. Sessions American Inns of Court, leading the chapter to earn Platinum Status for the first time in its history. In recognition of this accomplishment, she accepted an award at the Celebration of Excellence at the Supreme Court of the United States, hosted by Justice Neil Gorsuch. In 2014, Julia was part of the team awarded the North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce’s ATHENA Organization Leadership Award, which recognizes women leaders and organizations that encourage women to achieve their full potential. In 2013, Julia was selected by San Antonio Business Journal as an “Outstanding Lawyer” for Litigation. Julia was featured in the “40 Under 40” list in 2008, and has been named a “Best S.A. Lawyer” by San Antonio Scene magazine on multiple occasions.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Ranked for Litigation: General Commercial – Texas: San Antonio & Surrounds, 2021-2022
- Top Women Lawyer Award, Texas Diversity Council, 2021
- Women’s Leadership Award, San Antonio Business Journal, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2018-2023
- Commercial Litigation, 2018-2023
- Energy Law, 2023
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2012-2022
- Top 50: Women Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2022
- Top 50: Central/West Texas Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2022
- The Top Women Attorneys in Texas, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2020
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2017-2022
- Business Litigation
- Energy & Oil & Gas
- Environmental Litigation
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America, 2022
- “San Antonio’s Outstanding Women in Law,” San Antonio Scene, 2021
- Who’s Who in Energy, San Antonio Business Journal, 2012-2015
- Outstanding Lawyer Award, San Antonio Business Journal, 2013
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, Mentoring Monday, San Antonio Business Journal (2022)
- Presenter, “Is the Sky Falling with the Oil Prices,” South Texas Women’s Energy Network (2015)
- Presenter, “Opportunities and Obstacles in the Wake of Falling Oil Prices,” Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) South/Central Texas Chapter (2015)
- Co-author, “Cost-Shifting,” Essentials of E-Discovery, State Bar of Texas, 2nd ed. (2021)
- Co-author, “Rule 30(b)(6) Depositions,” Essentials of E-Discovery, State Bar of Texas, 2nd ed. (2021)
- Moderator, “Judicial Wrap-Up” panel, eDiscovery in Your Case, State Bar of Texas (2014)
- Author & Speaker, “Practical Tips for an Effective Litigation Hold”
- Author & Speaker, “The Decision Tree Method of Litigation Risk Analysis,” Legal Assistant University (2003)
- Co-author, “Franchise Law,” 56 SMU Law Review 1753 (2003)
- Co-author, “Franchise Law,” 55 SMU Law Review 1057 (2002)
- Co-author, “Preserving and Protecting Privileges and Immunities Under the Federal Rules,” Southern Methodist University School of Law, Federal Civil Practice Seminar (1995)
- Author, “Congressional Reform: Can Term Limitations Close the Door on Political Careerism,” 24 St. Mary’s Law Journal 1361 (1993)
In the News
- “Interview: Julia Mann, Managing Partner-San Antonio, Jackson Walker LLP,” Invest: San Antonio 2022 – Capital Analytics Associates (March 2022)
- “These women leaders will share their experiences at Mentoring Monday,” San Antonio Business Journal (February 2022)
- “Exclusive: Law firm leases multiple floors of Jefferson Bank’s 13-story Broadway tower,” San Antonio Business Journal (January 2022)
- “Women’s Leadership Awards: Julia Mann,” San Antonio Business Journal (August 2021)
- “Women in Law: Raising the Bar,” San Antonio Woman (May 2019)
- “Women Partners Take Lead at Jackson Walker, Pillsbury Texas Offices,” Texas Lawyer (March 2019)
- “Local Litigators Talk Trends, Strategies,” San Antonio Business Journal (April 2016)
- “Texas Energy: Energy lawyers roll with oil and gas boom-bust cycle,” San Antonio Business Journal (May 2015)
- “Women’s Energy Network on Low Oil Prices: “The Sky Is NOT Falling,” San Antonio Business Journal (March 2015)
- “Litigation Eagle Ford lease disputes fuel litigation-firm growth,” San Antonio Business Journal (April 2014)
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- San Antonio Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Bexar County Women’s Bar Association, Former Board Member
- Federal Bar Association
- Fifth Circuit Bar Association
- South Texas Women in Energy, Member and Guest Speaker
- William S. Sessions American Inns of Court, President
- San Antonio Chamber of Commerce – Leadership San Antonio Class, 2011
- National Charity League – San Antonio Rose Chapter, President
- Texas Biomedical Research Institute, Founder’s Council
January 23, 2023Attorney News
Julia W. Mann has joined YPO, the world’s largest leadership community of chief executives, through its Athena pilot program.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
November 2, 2022Speaking Engagements
San Antonio Managing Partner Julia Mann will visit St. Mary’s University School of Law on Friday, November 4, 2022, to serve as a guest lecturer for Dean Patricia E. Roberts’ Law & Leadership class.
October 7, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 36 Attorneys Named Among the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 36 attorneys to Lawdragon’s inaugural list of the 500 leading litigators in America.
September 21, 2022Attorney News
Each year, less than 5% of attorneys in Texas are named to the list. Selection is based off of peer nominations that are then reviewed by a research team. Each nominee is evaluated on his or her professional accomplishments, peer recognition, and community involvement.
September 21, 2022Attorney News
Julia Mann Named to “Top 50: Women Super Lawyers” and “Top 50: Central/West Texas Super Lawyers” List
Jackson Walker proudly announces Julia W. Mann’s selection to the “Top 50: Women Super Lawyers” and “Top 50: Central/West Texas Super Lawyers” lists for 2022.
September 6, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 42 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2022 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 1, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
June 1, 2022Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2022 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 48 attorneys and 16 departments for inclusion in the 2022 edition of the Global and USA guides.