Karl Baker is a real estate attorney with a broad and diverse practice covering the acquisition, disposition, development, leasing, and financing of retail, industrial, residential, and office properties. He has also represented a wide range of private sector clients seeking entitlements, incentives, and development agreements from cities, counties, and other governmental entities across Texas. Karl handles complex commercial real estate matters, including formation of public-private partnerships, and has assisted clients on several international acquisitions and developments.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Karl practiced at a San Antonio-area real estate firm.
J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School
MCP, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
B.A., summa cum laude, Tulane University
- Represented multi-family developers in the implementation of the Texas public facility corporation (PFC) tax exemption.
- Represented landlords and tenants in the negotiation of retail, industrial, and office leases.
- Represented a wide range of clients in acquisitions and dispositions of improved and unimproved land.
- Represented privately held investment trust in note purchase and foreclosure of raw land.
- Represented financial institution in the assemblage of urban real estate parcels for a development of new headquarters.
- Represented regional supermarket chain in the acquisition, development, leasing, and sale of numerous grocery stores and grocery-anchored shopping centers throughout Texas.
- Represented national real estate investor in acquiring and developing multimillion-dollar build-to-suit industrial facilities.
- Represented multi-family developers in the acquisition and development of infill development sites.
- Represented international corporation in the development of a multimillion-dollar manufacturing facility.
- Represented solar investment and development company in the implementation of a community solar rooftop program.
Public Private Partnerships
- Advised urban development company on the formation of a complex public-private partnership involving the exchange of multiple downtown land parcels and the development of a high-rise office building, a new municipal headquarters, and associated residential and retail developments.
- Advised local government corporation tasked with the redevelopment of a high-profile parcel of public land on a broad range of issues including the application of state laws governing the sale and leasing of public property; the application of state laws governing the procurement of contracts; the application of the Open Meetings Act and the Open Records Act; and the negotiation of short-term and long-term leases of public land.
- Represented nonprofit media organization in formation of public-private partnership to redevelop an historic asset to serve as its corporate headquarters and as a performing arts center.
- Represented local government corporation in a long-term sublease to a private developer relating to the development of a multi-family apartment complex including ground floor retail and workforce housing requirements.
- Represented private landowner in the donation of land to a local government for the creation of a historic site adjacent to new development.
Entitlements and Incentives
- Represented landowners seeking city and county tax abatements and Chapter 380 agreements.
- Represented property owners challenging rough proportionality determinations.
- Represented property owners in obtaining vested rights determinations.
- Represented developer in the negotiation of annexation agreements and infrastructure reimbursement agreements.
- Represented regional supermarket chain on matters such as securing zoning, platting and other development approvals; negotiating economic incentive agreements; obtaining right-of-way closures; and acquiring publicly owned property.
- Represented national real estate investor in obtaining incentives for multimillion dollar industrial facilities in California, Florida, Kansas, Missouri, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.
- Represented mixed-use developer in securing licenses and approvals necessary for constructing bridge over San Antonio River.
- Advised city on the development and implementation of a Tax Incremental Reinvestment Zone.
- Represented landowner in the negotiation of agreements with a county concerning the design and construction of a major commercial thoroughfare.
- Represented landowner in the successful appeal of a denial of an inverse condemnation claim against a state department of transportation arising out of the closure of a highway interchange.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Real Estate Law, 2019-2024
- “Best S.A. Lawyers,” San Antonio Scene, 2023
- “Commentary: San Antonio-Austin Megaregion Isn’t Just Down the Road,” Rivard Report (September 2, 2016)
- “Income Tax Implications for Homeowners of a Declining Real Estate Market,” Massachusetts Bar Association Lawyer’s Journal (April 2009)
- Co-authored “Governor Patrick Signs Legislation to Exempt Landlocked Tidelands from Chapter 91 Licensing,” New England Chapter of the Congress for the New Urbanism (Winter 2007)
- Co-authored “Indelible Public Interests in Property: The Public Trust and the Public Forum,” 32 B.C. Envtl. Aff. L. Rev. 275 (2005)
- Co-authored “Homeland Security and Premises Liability,” ALI-ABA Land Use Institute (August 27, 2004)
- Alamo Heights City Council (2023- present)
- Alamo Heights Architectural Review Board
- Urban Land Institute – Management Committee, Chair of Local Member Councils
- Leadership San Antonio Class 44
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Real Estate Council of San Antonio
- Leadership Development Program of the Real Estate Council of San Antonio
September 18, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 44 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2023 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list. In its 19th year, the “Best S.A. Lawyers” list presents attorneys across 80 distinct practice areas who were nominated by fellow licensed, practicing attorneys of Bexar County.
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
March 8, 2023Attorney News
Joining from a San Antonio-based real estate law firm, Karl Baker has a broad and diverse practice covering acquisitions, leasing, and financing across all product types and assisting developers seeking entitlements, incentives, and development agreements from cities, counties, and other governmental entities across Texas.