Kelly D. Cobb
Kelly D. Cobb is a partner in the Business Immigration & Compliance section of Jackson Walker’s Houston office. Kelly primarily focuses on U.S. corporate immigration law, including applications/petitions for all visa categories and paths to U.S. permanent residence and naturalization. She offers experienced counsel related to navigating the intricacies of ever-changing laws, regulations, and government processes in Immigration law.
She has more than 20 years of experience counseling clients in the development and implementation of strategic immigration policies and advising U.S. and international clients on immigration issues related to corporate restructuring, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and start-ups.
Kelly has in-depth experience working within Houston’s international energy sector, primarily focusing on large-volume corporate immigration, including management of both U.S. immigration and global migration. She has more than 20 years of experience counseling clients in U.S. Outer Continental Shelf compliance, particularly focusing on assisting international corporations in vessel exemptions, specialist work authorizations, crew member exemptions, and crew and specialist mobilization.
B.A., Texas State University
J.D., South Texas College of Law Houston
Supreme Court of Texas
- Representing U.S. and global corporations in obtaining work authorizations for entire vessel crew and specialists assigned to the U.S. Outer Continental Shelf
- Managing PERM labor certification programs for large engineering and information technology companies sponsoring their employees for permanent residence
- Advising U.S. and international clients on immigration implications for complex corporate restructuring
- Partnering with clients to proactively address the issues related to maintaining and deploying an international workforce
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2010-2021
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Ranked for Immigration – Texas, 2006-2008, 2017-2022
- Recommended Attorney, The Legal 500: United States (Legalese Ltd.), 2013
- “Texas Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2009-2013
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2005-2007
- Author, “Hiring Foreign Professionals Could Help Alleviate U.S. Labor Shortage,” Texas Lawyer (September 2022)
- Panelist, “U.S. Business Immigration Virtual Roundtable,” Jackson Walker Webinar (September 2022)
- Speaker, “US Immigration & Global Migration: Managing a Global Workforce in a Post-Pandemic World,” Austin SHRM Annual Conference (August 2022)
- Speaker, “Redefining Success: Knowing What You Want, Why You Deserve It, and How to Get It”, The Women in Legal & Corporate Leadership Summit: Houston (March 2020)
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- Texas Women Lawyers
- United Way Women’s Initiative
- United Way Young Leaders
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
- Tahirih Justice Center
- Women’s Business Alliance (WBA), Greater Houston Partnership
- Greater Houston Partnership, Business Resource Group–Business Beyond Borders
September 19, 2022Insights
By Kelly Cobb
There are visa categories that can help alleviate the worker shortages for many industries by enabling the hiring of legal nonimmigrant workers.
August 18, 2022Newsletters
View the August 2022 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.
August 1, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
July 29, 2022Speaking Engagements
Kelly Cobb and Sang Shin are scheduled to present at the 2022 Austin SHRM Annual Conference on August 5, 2022. Entitled “US Immigration & Global Migration: Managing a Global Workforce in a Post-Pandemic World,” the presentation will cover the tremendous variations per country on travel and how employers who engage in prior planning and research can better prepare and educate their foreign national population.
June 1, 2022Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2022 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 48 attorneys and 16 departments for inclusion in the 2022 edition of the Global and USA guides.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
April 20, 2022Insights
By Kelly Cobb | Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its aftermath, backlogs for immigration benefits have been at an all-time high, with some benefits—such as the L-2 Spousal EAD—taking up to 12 months or longer.
February 1, 2022Newsletters
View the February 2022 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.
January 27, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the addition of Kelly D. Cobb as a partner in the Houston office. Kelly focuses on U.S. immigration law, specifically corporate immigration, family-based immigration, and the compliant manning of offshore personnel.