Kirk D. Rasmussen
Kirk Rasmussen is an attorney in the environmental, legislative, & regulatory group of Jackson Walker’s Austin office with a practice focused on advising private and public business organizations on state and federal regulatory matters. Kirk’s practice covers all aspects of the administrative process, including contested case proceedings, compliance counseling, licensing matters, rulemakings, appeals of agency decisions, and the many issues associated with owning, operating, or transferring assets within a regulated market.
Kirk’s clientele includes some of the country’s largest electric generators, investor-owned and public transmission and distribution utilities, retail electric providers, and large consumers of electricity. In addition, Kirk regularly represents municipally-owned utilities, retail electric providers, oil and gas exploration and production companies, entities acquiring energy services, and large-scale title companies.
Kirk spent several years representing the U.S. Department of Energy in connection with the licensing of its Yucca Mountain Project (geologic nuclear waste repository) by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Kirk graduated from Brigham Young University with a B.S. in Conservation Biology, and from Duke University’s graduate school and law school in 1999 with his J.D. and an M.A. in Resource Economics and Policy.
B.S., Brigham Young University
M.A., Duke University
J.D., Duke University School of Law
- Executive Editor, Duke Journal of Comparative & International Law
- Contributions Editor, Duke Environmental Law & Policy Forum
Kirk represents a variety of private and public clients, including those before:
- The Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT)
- The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT)
- The North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC)
- The Texas Reliability Entity (TRE)
- The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
- The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI)
- The Railroad Commission of Texas (RRC)
- The Texas Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner (OCCC)
- The Texas State Office of Administrative Hearings (SOAH)
- The Arkansas Public Service Commission (APSC)
- Other federal and state regulatory bodies
Electric Generation & Utility Experience
- Represent clients in the sale, transfer, and merger of electric generation and utility assets
- Negotiate power purchase agreements
- Represent clients in all aspects of utility ratemaking proceedings
- Represent clients in certificate of convenience and necessity (CCN) proceedings involving high-voltage transmission lines
- Advise clients regarding compliance with agency regulations
- Advise clients regarding development of alternative energy projects, including solar energy, biofuel, wind power, and energy storage projects
- Advise clients regarding the development and implementation of smart-grid facilities
- Advise clients regarding participation in ERCOT, including counseling regarding application and revision of the ERCOT Protocols and Operating Guides
- Advise clients regarding registration and participation in NERC and compliance with NERC Reliability Standards
- Advise clients regarding state and federal regulatory implications of energy transactions, including structuring issues
- Advise clients regarding energy and utility legislation pending before the U.S. Congress, Texas Legislature, and other state legislative bodies
- Advise clients on utility tariff issues, interconnections and contributions in aid of construction (CIAC)
- Represent clients in all aspects of administrative and regulatory proceedings, rulemakings, complaint actions, and licensing
- Represent utility clients in Texas state court administrative appeals
- Draft and negotiate generation interconnections and associated agreements and consents between electric generators, transmission service providers, and financial institutions
- Draft and negotiate all manner of agreements for energy clients, including affiliate agreements
- Represented largest generator of electricity, largest investor-owned and public transmission and distribution utilities, and largest retail electric providers in Texas
- Represented municipally owned utilities, retail electric providers, oil and gas exploration and production companies, public and private universities, and entities acquiring energy services
- Represented developer of on-site energy generation and management systems
- Represented the U.S. Department of Energy in connection with the licensing of its Yucca Mountain Project (geologic nuclear waste repository) by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Represented largest independently owned title company and the one of the largest credit services organization and credit access business in Texas
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Ranked for Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation (Electricity) – Texas, 2018-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Administrative / Regulatory Law, 2021-2024
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, Administrative Law, 2017-2019
- Top Lawyers, Texas Monthly, 2018
- Texas Rising Star, Texas Monthly, 2010
- Board Certified in Administrative Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2010
- Co-author, “Being an Effective Advocate,” Currents by POWER Engineers, 2022
- Co-author, “How to Avoid Accidentally Becoming a Regulated Electric Utility in Texas,” Texas Real Estate Business, 2006
- Co-author, “Who Will Play Poker in the Texas Saloon if the Sheriff Makes Everyone Play With Their Cards Face Up? The Importance of Protecting Competitively Sensitive Information in the Restructured Texas Electric Market” Texas Tech University School of Law Administrative Law Journal, 2004
- Co-Presenter, “Navigating the Challenges of Transmission Development,” Institute for Energy Law’s 2nd Conference on Renewable Project Development, 2023
- Presenter, FERC and NERC Regulation in Texas, Texas Utility Lawyer Association Annual Meeting, 2011
- Presenter, Witness Skills, Burns & McDonnell Transmission Line Routing Seminar, 2011
- Presenter, ERCOT February 2011 Extreme Cold Weather Event: Counsel to a Generator’s Perspective, 4th Annual Power and Alternative Energy Law Conference, 2011
- Presenter, Regulatory Hurdles to Achieving a Smart Grid, 2nd Annual IEEE Green Technologies Conference, 2010
- Presenter, Regulatory Obstacles to Achieving a Smart Grid, Smart Grid America Forum, 2009
- State Bar of Texas
- Environmental & Natural Resources Section
- Public Utility Law Section
- Austin Bar Association, Administrative Law Section
- Dallas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Administrative Law & Regulatory Practice Section
- Environment, Energy, & Resources Section
- Infrastructure & Regulated Industries Section
- Boy Scouts of America
- Eagle Scout
- Friends of Scouting Campaign, White Buffalo District, Circle 10 Council Chairman, 2005–2006
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
June 1, 2023Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2023 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 51 attorneys and 17 departments for inclusion in the 2023 edition of the Global and USA guides. Attorneys recognized in the guides were ranked in 19 practice areas, with 4 attorneys listed among multiple areas and 6 named among the top attorneys nationwide in their respective areas.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
June 1, 2022Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2022 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 48 attorneys and 16 departments for inclusion in the 2022 edition of the Global and USA guides.
February 24, 2022Insights
By Kirk Rasmussen and Craig Bennett | Whether in a presentation to a receptive client or on the witness stand facing cross examination by a hostile attorney, this article provides practical pointers on being a credible and effective advocate.
February 11, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the election of 14 attorneys to the Firm’s partnership on Friday, February 11, 2022. In addition to electing 14 new partners, the Firm also congratulates Bart Cicuto, Noah Speck, and Austin Thomas on their promotion from associates to senior counsel.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
May 20, 2021Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2021 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 41 attorneys and 14 departments for inclusion in the 2021 edition of the Global and USA guides.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
April 23, 2020Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2020 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 30 attorneys and nine practice areas for inclusion in the 2020 edition of the Global and USA guides.