Kristhy M. Peguero
Kristhy M. Peguero is an attorney in the Restructuring, Reorganization and Bankruptcy Litigation section at Jackson Walker, where she represents debtors, financial institutions, creditors’ committees, and other creditors in Chapter 11 proceedings. She has also negotiated out-of-court workouts and distressed sales and acquisitions. Kristhy also has experience in prosecuting and defending creditors in preference and fraudulent transfer litigation, in addition to providing distressed companies with restructuring advice.
B.A., with honors, University of Miami
J.D., University of Pennsylvania
- Journal of Constitutional Law, Associate Editor
United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware
United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
Kristhy’s representative experience includes representing clients such as:
- Weatherly Oil & Gas, LLC, an E&P company, in its complex Chapter 11 case involving the sale of substantially all of its assets through nine separate asset sales and the settlement of significant P&A liability with the State of Texas and State of Louisiana;
- Co-counsel to the Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in Exco Resources, Inc.;
- Belk, Inc. in obtaining approval of a prepackaged reorganization plan within 24 hours of filing its Chapter 11 cases, setting a national record for the fastest-ever prepackaged case from filing to emergence;
- Exide Technologies in its freefall Chapter 11 case, which resulted in Exide’s restructuring or refinancing of more than $1 billion of debt, including the equitization of more than $635 million of prepetition notes;
- Delta Petroleum General Recovery Trust and Par Petroleum Corporation in certain avoidance actions involving alleged overriding royalty interests;
- Tweeter Home Entertainment Group, a specialty consumer electronics retailer, and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 liquidation;
- LifeCare Holdings, an operator of long-term acute care hospitals, and its debtor affiliates in their Chapter 11 sale and structured dismissal;
- Credit Suisse, as administrative agent for the secured lenders, in the Chapter 11 reorganization of Buffets Restaurants Holdings and its affiliates;
- Syms Corp. and Filene’s Basement in their Chapter 11 liquidation;
- Communications Test Design in the defense of an adversary proceeding involving alleged trade-secret misappropriation, trademark infringement, and breach of contract;
- Defense of Special Committee in a valuation dispute in the Accuride Corporation Chapter 11 cases;
- CIT Group in its “prepackaged” bankruptcy plan, the largest in U.S. history at the time, which included solicitation of thousands of bondholders and banks holding in excess of $33 billion in debt;
- Bureau of National Affairs in the acquisition of its subsidiary via a Chapter 11 plan of reorganization;
- Sportsman’s Warehouse, an outdoor sporting goods big-box retailer, in its successful Chapter 11 reorganization; and
- Plastech Engineered Products in its emergency bankruptcy filing and subsequent sale of substantially all its assets (with the cooperation and consent of its senior lenders — the “Big 3” U.S. automotive manufacturers) in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Global Restructuring & Insolvency Lawyers, 2020, 2022
- Author of written materials for 2017 Bernard O. Dow Leasing Institute CLE on “Addressing Lease Defaults in Bankruptcy,” presented by Hon. Marvin Isgur, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas and Karl Daniel Burrer, Esq.
- “Chapter 15 Bankruptcy Issues, Venue, and Jurisdiction,” Jackson Walker Fast Takes Podcast (July 15, 2020)
- Association of Women Attorneys Foundation, Trustee
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 12, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 17 attorneys to Lawdragon‘s lists of the 500 leading practitioners in bankruptcy and restructuring law and corporate employment law.
March 1, 2021Client Results
The Charlotte, North Carolina-based retailer filed its Chapter 11 cases at 5 p.m. The prepackaged reorganization plan was approved by 10 a.m. the following day and went effective just four hours later—setting a national record for the fastest-ever prepackaged case from filing to emergence.
December 18, 2020Attorney News
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 12 attorneys to Lawdragon‘s lists of the 500 leading practitioners in Restructuring & Insolvency and Corporate Employment. Honorees are selected based on demonstrated leadership in their practice areas and the noteworthy matters they have handled particularly within the past year.
July 15, 2020Podcasts
Jackson Walker Bankruptcy, Restructuring, & Recovery attorneys Kristhy Peguero and Jennifer Wertz discuss chapter 15’s cross-border insolvency and its invocation of the jurisdiction of the U.S. bankruptcy court to assist in the administration of foreign insolvency and restructuring proceedings.
February 10, 2020Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the election of 11 attorneys to partnership on Friday, February 7, 2020.
June 19, 2019Client Results
On June 19, 2019, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court and reinstated the bankruptcy court’s dismissal of a post-confirmation attempt by the State of Oklahoma to obtain nearly $1 million in alleged unclaimed royalty payments held by Linn Energy.
January 29, 2019Client Results
Jackson Walker Represents Prophet Equity in its Acquisition of Substantially All Assets of Francis Drilling Fluids, Ltd.
Jackson Walker represented Prophet Equity in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Francis Drilling Fluids, Ltd., a Louisiana-based provider of energy services supporting both onshore and offshore drilling activities.