Michael F. Meskill
Michael F. Meskill’s practice focuses on securities, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance matters, and general corporate law. Michael represents buyers and sellers in public and private M&A transactions, issuers, underwriters, and investors in public and private debt and equity offerings, and companies and special board committees in corporate governance matters.
Michael is a certified public accountant in the State of Texas. He was an auditor in the audit department of KPMG LLP from 1989 to 1993, where he was the “in-charge” auditor on numerous public and private company audit engagements.
B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., cum laude, SMU Dedman School of Law
- Articles Editor, The International Lawyer
- Served as counsel to a Texas-based bank holding company in connection with its initial public offering for gross proceeds of approximately $48 million, before underwriting discounts and commissions and offering expenses.
- Represented a public healthcare services company in acquiring its largest competitor, a public healthcare services company, as part of its expansion effort
- Represented a public healthcare and manufacturing company in multiple acquisitions of public and private urology services companies
- Represented a public company in the sale of its specialty vehicle manufacturing division
- Represented a public healthcare and manufacturing company in the sale of one of its healthcare services divisions
- Represented a software development and outsourcing services company in an initial public offering and a follow-on public offering and in multiple acquisitions of software development companies
- Represented investment funds in their preferred return investments in high technology companies (multiple investments ranging up to $40 million per investment)
- Represented a nanotechnology company in a strategic joint venture transaction with a public chemicals company designed to monetize significant intellectual property assets
- Represented a public healthcare and manufacturing company in its acquisitions of publicly-traded competitors
- Represented a public bank holding company in a going-private transaction
- Represented a public bank holding company in multiple public exchange offerings to acquire banks
- Represented a public financial services company in multiple acquisitions of consumer finance companies
- Represented an investor in its acquisition of a significant stake in a public company and a related publicly-traded master limited partnership
- Represented an underwriter in the public stock offering of a defense contractor
- Represented a public energy company in its public spin-off of its exploration and production operations
- Represented Native American tribal gaming corporations in Rule 144A bond offerings to raise proceeds to build hotels and casinos
- Represented various public and private companies in their capacity as borrowers under credit facilities
- Represented special committees of boards of directors of high-tech companies in their consideration of private equity offerings
- Advised a public company on its response to dissident shareholders seeking board declassification, majority vote for director elections, and termination of poison pill
- “Public Benefit Corporations Have Arrived in Texas,” September 27, 2017
- “Texas Adopts Intrastate M&A Dealer Exemption,” March 4, 2015
- “SEC Issues No-Action Letter Regarding Treatment of Certain Unregistered M&A Broker-Dealers,” April 29, 2014
- “Gearing up for 2012 Annual Reporting Season: Has Your Public Company Board Addressed Cybersecurity Risk?,” January 23, 2012
- “SEC Adopts New Net Worth Standard for Accredited Investors,” January 9, 2012
- “Top 10 Legal Mistakes of Startup Entrepreneurs,” Ignite Startup Workshop, Herb Kelleher Center for Entrepreneurship at the University of Texas at Austin, April 5, 2017
- “Navigating the IPO Process from a Legal Perspective,” KPMG IPO Bootcamp, Dallas, Texas, September 10, 2014
- Panelist, “Beyond Video Game Development and Business: Legal Issues Every Startup Should Know,” Captivate Conference for Digital Entertainment, Austin, Texas, October 26, 2014
- “SEC Update — Dodd Frank Act,” Dallas CPA Society Education Conference, Dallas, Texas, May 26, 2011
- State Bar of Texas
- Four Points Basketball Association
- Open Door Preschools
- Former Treasurer
- Former Director
- St. Theresa Catholic Church
- Former Member, Finance Council
April 21, 2022Insights
The SEC’s Climate Disclosure Requirements Are Heating Up
By Taylor Holcomb & Michael Meskill | On April 11, 2022, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) proposed to require public companies to disclose extensive climate-related information in registration statements and periodic reports (including Forms 10-K and 10-Q). If finalized as proposed, the requirements would represent a sea change with respect to public company climate-related disclosures.
November 19, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Freedom Powersports in Sale to RumbleON
A Jackson Walker team led by recent Fort Worth additions Evan Malloy, Kayla Matus, and Taylor Cummins represented Freedom Powersports in the sale of its business to Dallas-based RumbleON, Inc., the largest U.S. retailer of powersports vehicles. The transaction was announced on November 9, 2021, and is expected to close in late 2021 or the first quarter of 2022.
October 14, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Team Advises Digital Turbine on More Than $1B in Global Deals in 2021
Digital Turbine, a public leading independent mobile advertising solutions provider, has completed more than $1 billion in cross-border deals in 2021 through the acquisitions of Fyber, AdColony, and Triapodi (d/b/a Appreciate).
January 24, 2020Client Results
Jackson Walker Represents Tarrytown Expocare in Securing Investment From Sheridan Capital Partners
Jackson Walker served as legal counsel to Tarrytown Expocare in securing an investment from Chicago-based healthcare private equity firm Sheridan Capital Partners for an undisclosed amount.
September 12, 2019Client Results
Jackson Walker Represents Investor Group in Ownership Expansion of Major League Soccer’s Newest Team, Austin FC
A Jackson Walker team represented an investor group including Eddie Margain, Matthew McConaughey, Marius Haas, and Bryan Sheffield in their investment in the Major League Soccer (MLS) expansion club Austin FC.
May 9, 2018Client Results
Corporate Group Represents Spirit of Texas Bancshares, Inc. in IPO
Jackson Walker represented Spirit of Texas Bancshares, Inc. (STXB) in its initial public offering of 2,300,000 shares of common stock at $21 per share, before underwriting discounts and commissions.
September 27, 2017Insights
Public Benefit Corporations Have Arrived in Texas
Public benefit corporations, which are recognized in over 30 states, have now been adopted in Texas.
April 6, 2017Speaking Engagements
Michael Meskill Speaks at University of Texas Workshop for Startups and Entrepreneurs
Jackson Walker partner Michael Meskill spoke to a group of aspiring entrepreneurs about the legal mistakes that commonly plague startups.
December 5, 2014Attorney News
Mike Meskill Quoted in “Texas Lawyer” Feature on Jackson Walker Client
Jackson Walker partner Mike Meskill was quoted in a recent Texas Lawyer article about Blake Brodersen, the general counsel of Molecular Rebar Design LLC, one of Jackson Walker’s clients.
September 24, 2014Attorney News
Emilio Nicolas, Stacy Allen, and Mike Meskill to Speak at the Captivate Conference
Jackson Walker L.L.P. attorneys Emilio Nicolas, Stacy Allen, and Mike Meskill will speak at the Captivate Conference for digital entertainment on October 26, 2014, in Austin, Texas.