Michael C. Roberts
Michael Roberts is experienced in a wide variety of commercial litigation matters, with particular emphasis on construction and insurance matters. Michael’s construction law practice encompasses contract negotiations, insurance coverage issues, and prosecuting and defending contractual and extra-contractual claims in the construction industry, including construction defect, delay, and mechanic’s lien claims.
Michael’s construction litigation and transactional matters primarily focus on representing owners in all aspects of construction, from contract negotiation through trial or arbitration. Recently, Michael negotiated construction contracts exceeding $25,000,000 and associated design contracts for two exciting new developments in Austin, Texas. In addition to representing owners, Michael has also represented general contractors, subcontractors, engineers, and architects. This gives him the ability to approach and analyze construction law issues from many different angles.
Michael’s transactional experience makes him an effective trial lawyer and advocate. He is comfortable in either arbitration or a courtroom. In the courtroom, Michael recently gained unique trial experience, trying a week-long in-person jury trial in January 2022 that ended in a $6.5 million settlement for his clients against an international company.
B.A., summa cum laude, Abilene Christian University
J.D., cum laude, Baylor Law School
- Anthony Bruster Intellectual Property and Advocacy Award
- Member, Order of Barristers
- Participant, Inter-school Mock Trial Teams
United States District Court for the Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
Michael’s representative matters include:
- Negotiating commercial design and construction contracts involving multi-family, industrial, commercial, and high-end residential projects.
- Advising buyer negotiating 8-figure acquisition on construction law issues during negotiation of purchase and sale agreement.
- Obtaining pre-suit reversal of insurer’s initial coverage denial with insurer assuming its obligations to defend and indemnify client under the third-party policy.
- Defeating summary judgment seeking complete dismissal of client’s multi-million dollar fraud claim.
- Defeating all claims brought against a subcontractor and the subcontractor’s principal, including claims for breach of contract, fraud, Texas Trust Fund violations, and attorney’s fees.
- Successfully obtaining injunctive relief on behalf of clients to enforce covenants not to compete, non-solicitation agreements, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Filing suit against an owner on behalf of a general contractor and obtaining all amounts owed from the owner, including Texas Prompt Pay Interest and all attorney’s fees incurred.
- Assisting both insurers and policyholders in the analysis, prosecution and defense of declaratory judgment actions and claims for breach of contract, prompt pay interest, and bad faith.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Commercial Litigation, 2021-2023
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants, 2022-2023
- Texas Rising Star – Construction Litigation, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2018-2022
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America, 2022
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 2020
- Rising Star, S.A. Scene magazine, 2014
- Best Lawyers in Civil Litigation Defense, S.A. Scene magazine, 2013
- Austin Bar Association/Austin Young Lawyers Association Leadership Academy
- Co-Chair, 2019-2020
- Committee Member, 2018
- Participant, 2017
- Austin Bar Association, Member
- Austin Young Lawyers Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Construction Law Section
- Insurance Section
- Litigation Section
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 7, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 36 Attorneys Named Among the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 36 attorneys to Lawdragon’s inaugural list of the 500 leading litigators in America.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
February 11, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the election of 14 attorneys to the Firm’s partnership on Friday, February 11, 2022. In addition to electing 14 new partners, the Firm also congratulates Bart Cicuto, Noah Speck, and Austin Thomas on their promotion from associates to senior counsel.
August 30, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Serves as US Counsel to Grupo Lamosa in Acquisition of Grupo Roca’s Flat Ceramic Division
Jackson Walker acted as U.S. counsel to Grupo Lamosa, S.A.B. de C.V., one of the world’s leading ceramic tile manufacturers, in the purchase of Grupo Roca’s flat ceramic division for $260 million. The transaction includes the acquisition of Tiles Investments and Holdings, SL and its subsidiaries, which have a presence in Spain, Brazil, and the United States.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
March 23, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 36 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2021 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list. Spanning five offices and eight major practice areas, these up-and-coming attorneys have been nominated by peers within and outside the Firm.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
March 10, 2020Attorney News
Spanning five offices, six major practice areas, and experience ranging from six to 15 years, these 30 up-and-coming attorneys were selected based on peer recognition and professional achievement.