Michael E. Taten
Michael E. Taten represents a wide range of clients in business law transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate transactions, joint ventures, executive employment and compensation arrangements, equity financing transactions, and corporate governance. His clients represent a diversity of industry sectors, including healthcare, manufacturing and distribution, technology and service providers.
Mike serves as the Managing Partner of the Firm’s Dallas office, and serves on the Firm’s Management and Compensation Committees.
Mike is routinely called upon by publicly-traded and privately owned companies, family-owned businesses, family offices, and entrepreneurs seeking assistance with corporate transactions that are transformational for their businesses. He also advises executives and employers in structuring executive employment and compensation arrangements.
Mike is hired in situations requiring the management of complex and sensitive issues, guiding clients through transactions by approaching difficult legal situations with practical, value-oriented solutions and an overlay of good business judgment.
Mike’s transactional practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, recapitalizations, equity financing transactions and corporate governance. He represents investors, buyers and sellers of businesses, achieving their objectives and protecting their interests through transaction structure, due diligence, and strategic crafting of representations and warranties, deal protections, and indemnification provisions.
Mike’s practice relating to executive employment arrangements focuses on issues facing high-level executives and the organizations employing them, including:
- Negotiation of executive employment agreements in a manner that reflects positively on the client;
- Protection against liability through indemnification, exculpation, and insurance;
- Equity compensation structures, including profits interests, restricted stock, stock options, restricted stock units, phantom stock arrangements, change in control agreements;
- Related shareholder, investor and buy-sell agreements;
- Liaising with tax advisors regarding tax planning, including deferred compensation issues under Section 409A and parachute compensation issues under Section 280G for optimum tax efficiency; and
- Issues unique to constituency directors, such as conflicts between their fiduciary duties to the portfolio company and the investor.
A.B., Stanford University
J.D., Duke University School of Law
- Represented private equity firm in acquisitions that led it to be ranked the most acquisitive firm in the south by Pitchbook Data in the first quarter of 2020.
- Represented $4 billion distribution company in multiple acquisitions and divestitures, including two simultaneous acquisitions to establish a footprint in a new market area and a joint venture with a competitor.
- Represented Fortune 15 company in auction of subsidiary, a $30+ million acquisition of a competitor’s division and several private equity investments.
- Represented Fortune 60 company in multiple investments in new energy ventures.
- Represented distribution company in creation of nationwide industry leading company through a joint venture with strategic partner
- Represented management team in equity rollover and new employment agreements and equity awards with public company acquiror
- Represented public company in negotiation of employment agreement with incoming CEO
- Represented numerous CEOs, CFOs, and other c-level executives in their negotiations with public and private companies
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Corporate Law, 2023
- “The 500 Most Influential Business Leaders in Dallas-Fort Worth,” D CEO, 2022 and 2023
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas,” D Magazine, 2021
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2014-2019
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2004-2007
- Dallas Business Journal
- Best Sale award
- Best Buyout or Change of Ownership award
- M&A Transaction of the Year award
- “Dallas law executive ‘cautiously optimistic’ for 2021,” Dallas Business Journal (December 2020)
- Nanovic Institute, Advisory Board Member
- Dallas Regional Chamber, Public Policy Advisory Council
- Dallas Regional Chamber, Board of Directors
- Cavanaugh Council and President’s Circle Mentorship Program
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Ardent Hospice, Advisory Board
- State Bar of Texas – Business Law Section, Donated Legal Services Committee – Former Chairman
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
November 29, 2021Attorney News
‘D CEO’ Features Mike Taten Among Dallas 500
In the special Dallas 500 edition of D CEO Magazine, Dallas Managing Partner Mike Taten was recognized among the most influential business leaders in North Texas.
April 28, 2021Attorney News
‘D Magazine’ Names 23 Jackson Walker Attorneys Among “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2021
Jackson Walker congratulates the 23 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2021.
December 30, 2020Mentions
Dallas Managing Partner Mike Taten Quoted in ‘Dallas Business Journal’ About 2020 Challenges and 2021 Outlook
Leading up to the start of a new year, Dallas Managing Partner Michael E. Taten spoke with the Dallas Business Journal about the challenges brought by the COVID-19 pandemic and his hope for 2021.
February 12, 2020Attorney News
Jackson Walker Appoints Priya Coffey and Mike Taten as Office Managing Partners
“Jackson Walker has been fortunate to have decades of strong leadership in each of our offices across Texas, and Priya and Mike are part of the next generation of those leaders,” Firmwide Managing Partner Wade Cooper said.
January 28, 2020Attorney News
Jackson Walker Expands Real Estate and Transactional Practices With Addition of Joe Flack, David Parker, John Wittenberg, and Dana Murphy
During the month of January, Jackson Walker proudly welcomed Joe Flack, David Parker, and John Wittenberg as partners in the Houston and San Antonio offices. In addition, the Firm added Dana Murphy as senior counsel in the Dallas office.
September 4, 2019Attorney News
52 Jackson Walker Attorneys Named to 2019 ‘Texas Super Lawyers’ List by Thomson Reuters
Each year, less than 5% of attorneys in Texas are named to the list. Selection is based off of peer nominations that are then reviewed by a research team.
September 29, 2016Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 54 Attorneys Added to 2016 “Texas Super Lawyers” List
Jackson Walker congratulates the 54 attorneys who were included in the 2016 “Texas Super Lawyers” list by Thomson Reuters.
September 8, 2015Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 51 ‘Texas Super Lawyers’
Fifty-one Jackson Walker attorneys were selected as 2015 “Super Lawyers” by Thomson Reuters. The list will be published in the October issue of Texas Monthly magazine.
September 5, 2014Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 51 ‘Texas Super Lawyers’
Fifty-one Jackson Walker attorneys were selected as 2014 “Super Lawyers” by Thomson Reuters. The list will be published in the October issue of Texas Monthly magazine.
- Corporate & Securities