Miguel A. Ortiz
Miguel Ortiz is an attorney in the real estate section of Jackson Walker’s Dallas office, where he was a Summer Associate in 2018.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Miguel served as a paralegal in the prosecution department of the U.S. Air Force. In this role, Miguel worked to examine, adjudicate, process, and settle claims filed for and against the United States Government, and gained experience in legal research, writing, analysis, and discovery management in the areas of administrative law, operational law, and military justice.
Miguel also worked as a paralegal in the defense department of the U.S. Air Force, a role in which he interviewed clients and screened for attorney conflicts while managing case files and maintaining attorneys’ trial dockets and schedules with a keen attention to detail, and investigated facts of alleged offenses, interviewed witnesses, performed legal research, and reviewed investigation reports. He was also responsible for all paralegal and office management functions for two Air Force criminal defense attorneys.
While in law school, Miguel served as a judicial intern to the Hon. Virginia Hernandez-Covington of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
B.A., cum laude, University of Nebraska at Omaha
J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law
- Teaching Assistant, Professor William C. Powers
- Sutton Society Dean’s Fellow
- Co-Author, “Race, Diversity, Inclusion, and the Media Bar: Will the National Conversation on Race, Diversity, and Inclusion Bring About Meaningful, Lasting Change Within Our Bar?” ABA Forum on Communications Law’s Communications Lawyer, Fall 2020, Vol. 36, No. 1 Issue (January 2021)
- Co-Author, “Challenges of Zoom Jury Trials: Lawyer Rapport, Equal Protections, Technology Hurdles,” Texas Lawyer (June 2020)
- Texas Law Veterans Association, Vice President/Co-Founder
- Veterans Legal Advice Clinic, Austin Bar Association
October 29, 2021Newsletters
View the October 2021 edition of the JW Media | VIA ePostcard.
October 5, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s October 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 5, 2021Client Results
Bob Latham and Miguel Ortiz Represent Nexstar Journalist Subpoenaed to Testify at Court-Martial of Fort Bliss Soldier
Bob Latham and Miguel Ortiz successfully protected an investigative journalist from a subpoena to testify at a court-martial hearing of a Fort Bliss soldier accused of sexual assault.
February 10, 2021Newsletters
Featuring insights on January 6/8 and the dangers journalists face; diversity, inclusion, and the media bar; recent client results and Firm highlights.
January 22, 2021Insights
Race, Diversity, Inclusion, and the Media Bar: Will the National Conversation on Race, Diversity, and Inclusion Bring About Meaningful, Lasting Change Within Our Bar? | ABA Communications Lawyer
By James Carlos McFall, Trey McDonald, and Miguel Ortiz