Miguel A. Ortiz
A former litigator, Miguel leverages his previous experience resolving commercial disputes to bring a multidimensional perspective to representing clients in complex commercial real estate transactions. He works with developers, owners, buyers, sellers, landlords, and tenants on all types of commercial real estate transactions, including those involving acquisitions, dispositions, leases, and real estate portfolios for all classes of commercial real estate.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Miguel served as a non-commissioned officer in the United States Air Force, where he worked as an enlisted paralegal in the Judge Advocate General’s (JAG) Corps. After six years on active duty, he was granted early separation from the Air Force to attend the University of Texas School of Law, where he graduated with honors.
Miguel and his wife Ciara have three children.
B.A., cum laude, University of Nebraska at Omaha
J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law
- Teaching Assistant, Professor William C. Powers
- Sutton Society Dean’s Fellow
- “Ones to Watch,” Dallas Assocation of Young Lawyers, 2023
- Co-Author, “DAYL Pushed Its Membership Criteria Real Good: Those With Salt-N-Pepa Hair Can Participate,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (March 2023)
- Co-Author, “Race, Diversity, Inclusion, and the Media Bar: Will the National Conversation on Race, Diversity, and Inclusion Bring About Meaningful, Lasting Change Within Our Bar?” ABA Forum on Communications Law’s Communications Lawyer, Fall 2020, Vol. 36, No. 1 Issue (January 2021)
- Co-Author, “Challenges of Zoom Jury Trials: Lawyer Rapport, Equal Protections, Technology Hurdles,” Texas Lawyer (June 2020)
- Kids-U, Board of Directors
- Texas Law Veterans Association, Vice President/Co-Founder
- Veterans Legal Advice Clinic, Austin Bar Association
August 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 8, 2023Mentions
Jonathan D. Neerman, Jesse S. Lotay, Rebecca Blake Chaikin, Clinton J. Kuykendall, and Miguel A. Ortiz provided insight on the much sought-after Texas legal market with Chambers Associate.
June 9, 2023Attorney News
Miguel Ortiz’s integrity-first mindset, ability to place service over self, and commitment to excellence in all he does set him apart. As a father of three young boys, Miguel’s drive to make a positive impact extends beyond his legal career, making him an inspiring role model for all young lawyers.
April 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 29, 2021Newsletters
View the October 2021 edition of the JW Media | VIA ePostcard.
October 5, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s October 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 5, 2021Client Results
Bob Latham and Miguel Ortiz Represent Nexstar Journalist Subpoenaed to Testify at Court-Martial of Fort Bliss Soldier
Bob Latham and Miguel Ortiz successfully protected an investigative journalist from a subpoena to testify at a court-martial hearing of a Fort Bliss soldier accused of sexual assault.
February 10, 2021Newsletters
Featuring insights on January 6/8 and the dangers journalists face; diversity, inclusion, and the media bar; recent client results and Firm highlights.
January 22, 2021Insights
Race, Diversity, Inclusion, and the Media Bar: Will the National Conversation on Race, Diversity, and Inclusion Bring About Meaningful, Lasting Change Within Our Bar? | ABA Communications Lawyer
By James Carlos McFall, Trey McDonald, and Miguel Ortiz