Monica A. Lopez
Monica Alyssa Lopez is an associate in the corporate and securities practice group at Jackson Walker. Her practice mainly focuses on corporate governance and general corporate matters. Monica is experienced in working with public and private companies and nonprofit corporations in connection with corporate restructurings, joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions and securities matters.
Monica received her law degree from Thurgood Marshall School of Law and graduated as Valedictorian of her class in May 2016 and received her undergraduate degree from The University of Texas at Austin. As a first generation attorney and the first lawyer in her family, Monica understands the need for diverse representation in the legal profession. She often mentors law students and young lawyers and speaks about her experience as a corporate and first generation attorney at events for her law school and other diverse organizations. Monica is also a mentee with the Bank of America Global Markets Legal Diversity Program.
B.A.. The University of Texas at Austin
- Gates Millennium Scholar
J.D., Summa Cum Laude, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law
- Co-Chair, Student Bar Association – Career Services Committee
Monica’s practice emphasizes:
- Joint ventures
- Corporate restructuring
- Mergers and acquisitions
- General corporate work
Her clients include:
- Real estate developers and investors
- Closely held businesses
- Startup companies
- Nonprofit corporations
Representative matters include:
- Representing real estate developers in connection with joint ventures and the multi-million dollar acquisition and financing of real estate nationwide.
- Representing a privately held, diversified manufacturing company in general corporate matters and closing a private offering of $350 Million Senior Notes and a $150 Million tack-on.
- Restructuring the ownership of a real estate tower from a joint venture holding to a tenant-in-common structure.
- Restructuring of the real estate holding companies of a large nonprofit corporation.
- Representing a public company in its acquisition and disposition of securities and compliance with the Securities Exchange Commission with respect to 13G/D and Form 3, 4 and 5 filings.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.), Corporate Law, 2022
- “The Road from Migrant Work to Law School,” The Texas Lawbook (October 2018)
- “The Stories of First Generation Attorneys, HYLA First Generation Attorney Podcast,” (June 2020)
Speeches and Speaking Engagements
- “Diverse Perspectives: Women In Corporate & Tax Law”, The UHLC Corporate & Tax Law Society And Association Of Women In Law, Panelist (April 2021)
- Houston Bar Association – Diversity and Inclusion Boot Camp Panel, Panelist (April 2021)
- “Finding Your Seat at the Table”, HYLA’s First Gen Attorney Panel Series, Panelist (November 2019)
- “Big Law Panel”, TMSL African Law Students Association, Panelist (March 2019)
- “Discover Your Brand: Large Firm and Corporate Law Attorneys”, TMSL Office of Career and Professional Development, Panelist (October 2018)
- “Large Firm Interview Q&A”, TMSL Office of Career and Professional Development, Panelist (August 2018)
- “1L Orientation Alumni Panel”, TMSL Office of External Affairs, Panelist (August 2018)
- “U.S. Education Learning Forum”, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Gates Millennium Scholar Speaker (October 2015)
- Houston Young Lawyers Association (HYLA) First Generation Attorney Committee, Co-Chair, 2019-2020
- Houston Bar Association Minority Opportunities in the Legal Profession, Member, 2018-2019
- One Night for OneGoal, Committee Member, 2018-Present
- Gates Millennium Scholars Alumni Association